The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 16, 2009, 06:34 PM   #1
mhdick

270 vs 270wsm accuracy?

I'm considering a new gun. I mainly shoot whitetail & mule deer, but won't rule out yotes. not likely to shoot elk, but would like to in the future.
What do you all think about the accuracy of either caliber? is one generally more accurate or not really. thanks.
i hunt Nebraska & KS and shots could present up to 400+ on deer up to 250 lbs (some big mulies in western KS).
i am just getting into reloading also, if this influences the answer.
thanks in advance
Old November 16, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
GeauxTide

Go with a 24" barreled 270Win

If you're just getting into loading, mahvelous. Welcome to a wonderous adventure. The 270 Win will give you all you need and then some. The components and ammo are much less expensive. Forget the marketing, you will get about 100fps in head to head chronographed velocites with 130gr bullets in 24" barrels. If you want a real magnum, get a 270 Weatherby. You'll get an honest 200fps over the Win. Accuracy? Haven't heard of any .277s that weren't shooters.
Old November 16, 2009, 08:17 PM   #3
matt_3479

a 270. win will do everything you need and more. But 400 yards are long shots and you had better practice. My dad has hunted everything with his 270.win from coyotes out to 350 yards, whitetail out to 300 yards, caribou as close as 40 yards, moose around 100 yards and black bear as far as 250 yards. Now he mainly hunts moose and this is the biggest caliber he has ever owned. Everyone he hunts with tells him its to small yet he has taken 5 moose with the biggest being 950 pounds. so it will work on whitetail. If you want something with power, flat trajectory, good stopping power the 270. win is it, if you really want to step it up look at the 7mm rem mag
Old November 16, 2009, 08:44 PM   #4
bcarver

why?

Why the .277 caliber? Why not the .284 caliber?
I shoot the .270 win more than any other cartridge but would choose the 280 Remington if I was to start over.
Among your choices I would get the .270 win.
What were you shooting?
Old November 16, 2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Abel

The only reason for any of the shortmags, IMO, is to obtain a short action rifle like the Remington Model Seven in a big boy caliber. The advantage of a Model Seven sized gun should be clear to any hunter who has walked more than 100 yards to their deerstand. The shortmags give you back the ass that was lost on the shorter barrel. In a regular sized rifle, the regular 270 will do.
Old November 16, 2009, 10:12 PM   #6
qwman68

.270 win.
Old November 16, 2009, 11:48 PM   #7
Pathfinder45

270 Winchester is the cat's meow.

It's been a winner since 1925. The others; i.e., .280 Remington, 6.5 Remington Magnum, .264 Winchester Magnum, .284 Winchester, .270 Weatherby, .270 WSM, 7mm's Weatherby, Remington and WSM; these also ran, and ran well. But the .270 Winchester was here first. Much imitated; none have replaced it. The only cartridge in its class that could possibly be a better choice, all things considered, would be it's parent, the .30-06 Springfield. All of the others mentioned would be OK as long as you are a dedicated reloader. 7mm Remington Magnum is the cheapest magnum for factory ammo. But it's little if any better than a good hand-loaded .270. If you're gonna throw down for a brand new rifle I think the new Winchester Model 70 Sporter would be a good choice. With Walnut stock, of course.
Old November 17, 2009, 01:50 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The only reason for any of the shortmags, IMO, is to obtain a short action rifle like the Remington Model Seven in a big boy caliber. The advantage of a Model Seven sized gun should be clear to any hunter who has walked more than 100 yards to their deerstand. The shortmags give you back the ass that was lost on the shorter barrel. In a regular sized rifle, the regular 270 will do
When most shooters find out that the WSM rifles weigh the same or more, lose 1-3 rounds of magazine capacity, and are maybe an inch shorter than a standard length action.... most change their minds.

Add the fact that many of the WSM (from .223 to .325) loads have been discontinued or turned into 'seasonal runs' by Winchester, and the WSMs are not the best choice for the average shooter.

.270 Winchester gets my vote, based on the above factors, some that were not mentioned, and the fact that many loads actually have the .270 Winchester carrying it's velocity longer (and therefore flatter) than the WSM version at long distances.
Old November 17, 2009, 03:11 AM   #9
Pathfinder45

That's right!

Yeah, think about the magazine capacity. My .270 holds 5 in the magazine and one in the chamber. No way with the short mags. Think about it!
Old November 17, 2009, 09:44 AM   #10
trooper3385

How many bullets do you need? It's not a combat rifle. I can't remember the last time I fired more than one round. If you do have to, the odds of getting off 5 shots is next to none. I wouldn't sweat the mag capacity.

Last edited by trooper3385; November 17, 2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:50 AM   #11
trooper3385

As far as the short mags, I believe the 270 wsm gives you better performance than the other short mags in regards to it's parent cartridge. But what your going to be using it for, I don't think it gives you that much more of an advantage. As far as accuracy, with all things being equal, it's probably going to be about the same. The biggest advantage it will give you will be the weight issue. With the short action, it will be more or less a pound lighter. However, as others have said, there is less ammo available and it's more expensive. Shouldn't be much of an issue if you reload though.

Last edited by trooper3385; November 17, 2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:53 AM   #12
mhdick

Thanks for the education. Realistically, I probably shouldn't try to justify the WSM (if I pick a new gun).
I have been shooting a winchester m70 fw 30-06. I don't shoot it great, but I don't practice like I should, either. Have not reloaded for it yet, but have the components and will do so soon. I think it needs a new trigger as I never know when it will actually shoot and this certainly affects my ability to shoot (and can cause me to flinch a bit). I need it to have a different recoil pad on it - i'm kind of a weenie when bench shooting.
Know i don't NEED another gun, since 3006 can do about anything in NA, but who bought a new gun only because they NEEDED it!??!
I'd also like a 270 anyway - my BIL has one and wants me to do some reloading for him, so I'd be able to load for both of us same time.
I also have a 22LR & 22-250, so I don't need a small caliber. Maybe I'll just spend some more time on the 3006 to get the right load & accuracy. new trigger & pad on my 06 and i'm ready for anythign i'll shoot in NA from prarie dogs, rabbits to deer & elk.
any thoughts on a new trigger for a m70? i have read other places online that with a timney trigger you have to modify the trigger guard a bit to have it fit - or is this correct?
Old November 17, 2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Horseman

I hunt near the border of Nebraska/Kansas. I own 2 270Win. and 1 Sako 85 in 270WSM. I've gone back to the 270Win. I handload for both cartridges. I've seen no accuracy advantage to the 270wsm. All I've really noticed is one less cartridge(or enlarged stock) and the WSM doesn't feed as smooth as 270win in most guns. The feeding is a big one for me. You can't be *&%ing around when it's game time with a rough feeding rifle.

270Win for me any day. Saturday I shot a 254lb buck at 20paces with a 270Win. shooting 130 Fed Fusions. Shot in the brisket and came out between the shoulder blades(I was below him when he crested the hill). The Fusions shoot around .5-.75" out of my X-Bolt. My handloads cant top that. Neither can my 270 WSM.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:40 AM   #14
Abel

Yes, get a new trigger.

If you are recoil concious, opt for the M70 Featherweight in 7mm-08.
Old November 17, 2009, 12:23 PM   #15
taylorce1

Here is what I’ve learned shooting and reloading a .270 Win for the last 10 years. The .270 is one of the easiest rifles I’ve ever owned to find an accurate load for. H4831 and 130 grain Sierra Game Kings are my go to powder and bullets for deer, pronghorn, and anything smaller that might cross my path. I’ve used it successfully on elk but the .30-06 would be the better choice since you already own one.

I know you said you might be reloading for your BIL, so here is my advice on that one. Realize right off the bat that what might shoot well in your rifle might not shoot in his. Have your BIL buy his own set of dies that way you can set yours up for your rifle and his set for the rifle he’ll be shooting. Full lengths resize all the brass unless you are able to keep it separated if you want to neck size your fired brass, or else it might not chamber in your respective rifles.

I like the .280 Rem doesn’t offer anything over the .270 Win. I know people will say the bullet selection in 7mm is better, but my answer to that is not in hunting bullets. Everything that the .280 shoots well for hunting the .270 does too. Plus if you have to rely on factory ammunition until you get set up to reload you will find .270 Win much easier to find on the shelves.

If you are going to go up to bullets heavier than 150 grains you might as well shoot the 7mm Rem Mag or .30-06. 130-150 grain bullets shoot with nearly identical velocity and energy in either cartridge. I’ve been reloading for the .280 Rem for my BIL for the last few years, and I gave him the rifle after I tried it out and realized all the 7mm hype for a hunting rifle was just that. Factory ammunition for the .280 is anemic at best, and has to be hand loaded to realize its full potential and not easy to find just anywhere.

Don’t know anything about the .270 WSM, I have a friend who shoots one and loves it. The accuracy potential is the same I’d imagine between either cartridge.
Old November 17, 2009, 12:35 PM   #16
dahermit

Neither cartridge is the best choice for target accuracy. The bullet makers do not make target quality (like the .30 caliber 155 palma), bullets in .277 diameter. That being said, either cartridge has more than enough accuracy with hunting bullets for the purpose you are interested in. If it were me, I would stick to the tried and proven .270 Winchester cartridge. You will find a plethora of loading data and quality hunting bullets, and many published proven game loads.