The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 16, 2009, 03:15 AM   #1
micksis86

Rossi 92 Puma 38/357 magnum what do you think?

Hey all, going to get a new lever action. I'm thinking about the Rossi 92 Puma in 38/357 magnum. The 20 inch barrel 10 shot mag one in stainless steel.
I already have a marlin 336 which i love but i'm getting this for cowboy sillhouette competition and they are a bit cheaper than most of the other similar brands. What are your opinions/ experiences with these rifles?
Cheers
Old November 16, 2009, 03:20 AM   #2
Gav-n-Tn

Rossi makes one seriously good replicated rifle. Their model 62s will match part for part to the real McCoy. Taurus ain't no slouch either. It's all relative really. Buy a Marlin or Winchester for more and they will resale for more but it's all relative. You also buy the Rossi for les but it holds it value relative to the original coist if not more also. Make sense? www.southernoutdoorlife.com
Old November 16, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
farmall

Can't say much about the 20" version. That is what I wanted, till I found the 16" at a gunshow for an awesome deal. I settled for that and am just as pleased as can be. Took a couple coils off the extractor spring, made it cycle SO much smoother, but that is the only mod so far. I have a tang sight for it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I use mine for a fun cast bullet plinker. It's plenty accurate and powerful out to 100 yards for my purposes! Buy one, you'll like it!

Andy
Old November 17, 2009, 01:28 PM   #4
gak

Yes to the Rossi 92 part. No to the LSI Puma (or the current Taurus-Rossi) variant. Look for an EMF model--much better rear sights. Though EMF's relationship with Rossi is coming to an end (they're still barely on their website), there are a bunch of new ones on the likes of Gunbroker. Better yet, look for a pre-safety (pre 2006) EMF or even earlier yet Interarms one. If you do get a more recent safety'd one, Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones), top 92 builder/fixer/tuner, can take care of that for you or you can DIY. But, most importantly, NO LSI Rossi Puma, if for no other reason than the sights, especially when you can still get an EMF of your choice for no worse than the same $.

Lots of folks will have you believe that "Puma" is/has to be synonymous with Rossi 92. Not so. LSI just hapened to be the biggest Rossi distributor for the past decade +. To confuse matters further, Legacy (LSI) no longer sells Rossis, but retained the Puma name (which was a carry-over from the Rossi/Interarms days) and is re-applying it to their very nice, but pricier, Italian-made 1892s (Armi Sport/Chiappa), the same guns imported by Cimarron and Taylors. However, most "Pumas" you see yet are NOS or used Rossi-made 92s.
Old November 17, 2009, 06:26 PM   #5
olyinaz

Sadly, I just had a bad experience with a Rossi 92 that showed up with a lot of rust inside of it new in the box. I don't have any issues with the gun overall (and neither do the folks at my shop or at the range), just don't want one pre-rusted.

Best,
Oly

Last edited by olyinaz; November 17, 2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old November 17, 2009, 07:38 PM   #6
micksis86

They only have the Rossi models here in Australia so i don't really have that problem. I would me super annoyed if i picked up a new rifel and it already had rust on it. I hate leaving my guns at the store i get paranoid. about it coming back with rust on it.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Daily Fred

I got one a couple years ago. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I sold it & upgraded to a Marlin 1894 with which I am quite happy and can easily hit the broad side of a barn with open sights -- but the ability to attach a scope on the Marlin is nice too.
Old November 18, 2009, 04:15 AM   #8
micksis86

I like marlin's alot my 336 is a great, accurate rifle but the
rossi's are a fair bit cheaper. Which is why i'm interested in it otherwise i'd definately go a marlin. Although i want to shoot cast lead projectiles as plinking rounds and i've heard some rumors around the place that marlin's micro groove rifling doesn't work very well with cast lead bullets. Have any of you found this to be true?
Old November 18, 2009, 05:22 AM   #9
wnycollector

I have a brand new rossi/puma m92 in .44mag w/ the 20" barrel. It is a great rifle for the money ($350 otd). My trigger/action came out of the box smoother than a buddies marlin 45/70. The only bad part is that the rear sight sucks! I ordered a barrel mounted peep sight from http://skinnersights.com/ For $45 it was a huge improvement.

I recently saw a .357 16" rossi at a gun show for $420 and was tempted to buy it...but I was short of cash at the time
Old November 18, 2009, 05:34 AM   #10
darkgael

Rossi

I've owned a Rossi 92 for the last 20 years - don't know if it was called a Puma when I bought it. It's the 16" bbl carbine. It has always been a good shooter - very handy, I can shoot it with one hand if need be.
Some years ago American Rifleman's Dope Bag had a review of it - a very positive review.
Makes a good plinker, small game, home defense, and short range deer rifle.
Pete
Old November 18, 2009, 06:18 AM   #11
Colt46

Love mine in .45 colt

Got the 20" stainless and it is easy to carry and more accurate than I expected.
I'm not a fan of the .357 as a handgun caliber, but it really shines in a rifle length barrel.
Sadly, rossi no longer has the contract with Legacy Puma. The Italian guns are really nice, but more expensive.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:15 PM   #12
gak

QUOTE: "Sadly, rossi no longer has the contract with Legacy Puma. The Italian guns are really nice, but more expensive."

Colt46, the current Rossi/Taurus model is pretty much the same gun, including Legacy's (LSI's) cheap sights. Regarding another poster's comment about the sights, although EMF's relationship with Rossi is in the process of ending as well, there are plenty new ones still out there with the better sights.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:51 PM   #13
Sarge

If you like the .357 the Rossi 92's are nice, slick little guns. It does come alive from a 20" barrel. About the only way you'll be disappointed is if you do much 200 yard shooting. If so, you might be better served with a 30-30.

I've got a 16" Rossi in .45 Colt which aside from a few design warts, is an excellent little carbine. The dummy switch was gone off the bolt when I bought it used, so I ducked that one. It's reasonably accurate, holding about an inch at 50 yards or 2 1/2" at 100, despite the coarse, miserable and difficult to adjust factory sights. Rossi's dovetails are also non-standard, about 0.385 IIRC so the wide world of aftermarket sights is closed to you.

The sight issue is not insurmountable though and a kind soul known on Leverguns as 'CO Steve' shares his solution here- complete with Brownells part numbers.

I think a set of these will have to be on my next Brownells order.
Old November 18, 2009, 04:44 PM   #14
darko

I just purchased one a month, or two ago, (16" version) and have two beefs with it. First, the rear sight was noticably off.....let me rephrase that, it was way off to the right and loose. I had to pound that sucker over and ended up with some scratches as a reward. As the previous poster stated, the sights are not easy to move. Second, it is finicky on ammo, particularly hollow points-it simply won't feed them.

28:06:42:12
Old November 18, 2009, 06:20 PM   #15
olyinaz

Thanks for that link Sarge!

Oly
Old November 18, 2009, 07:48 PM   #16
dreamweaver

I have a rossi 92 in 45lc, one of the earlier ones w/o the idiot switch. very well made and accurate replica. the action is smoother than my 1892 winchester (32-20).
if the post 63 winchesters were made this well they would still be in business!