The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 16, 2009, 09:47 AM   #26
hoytinak

Easy, H&K USP.
Old November 16, 2009, 10:02 AM   #27
espnazi

+1

To HK USP 45 It is the only mass produced 45 that is able to fire 45 Super without changing anything.
Old November 16, 2009, 10:04 AM   #28
azredhawk44

Glock 21 is a great choice. The one I used to have withstood some extended "lack of cleaning" periods with good grace.

Judging from my friend's Ruger P series in .40, the P90 is another good bet. I've seen him have problems with reloads in it, but nothing beyond cases that were too long for the chamber or too tight of a crimp that stopped it from headspacing properly. They all still fed from the magazine into the chamber. Never seen it stovepipe or fail to eject.
Old November 16, 2009, 10:11 AM   #29
Skans

Quote:
....45 that you don't need to spoil and can withstand a beating or two and fire like nothing happened. Don't have to be pretty just accuret and tough.
M-10 (Mac 10) in .45. Sustained full-auto fire....no problem. Glock can only say that with 9mm.

runner up...UZI .45 Pistol.

If you want a perty-boy pistol, try one of them Glocks or 1911's.
Old November 16, 2009, 10:24 AM   #30
MrClean

Quote:
If you want a perty-boy pistol, try one of them Glocks or 1911's.
First time I have ever seen the word "pretty" and "Glock" in the same sentence without something like NOT in there too.

I'd grab my HK and then my Glock.

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old November 16, 2009, 10:59 AM   #31
P97

I don't have any need for any gun tougher than the Ruger P90.
Old November 16, 2009, 11:02 AM   #32
madmag

Ruger P90.
Old November 16, 2009, 11:27 AM   #33
jgcoastie

Quote:
Quote:
Don't you wish you could just meet Mr. Browning and thank him for his contribution to the auto pistol? None of the above mentioned would even exist if not for him.
I just threw that out there to see how many "experts" would catch it. NONE as of yet. Wow.
Umm... Not sure exactly what the test was... If it weren't for JMB then we wouldn't be discussing anything but wheelguns for the most part... If it weren't for JMB's innovations with semi-autos then companies like Glock likely would not have existed for a few more decades...

So in a roundabout way, I guess JMB is kinda, sorta, in part, responsible for Glocks... Sorta... (I just :barf: in my mouth a little when I said that...)
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 16, 2009, 11:57 AM   #34
Skans

Quote:
So in a roundabout way, I guess JMB is kinda, sorta, in part, responsible for Glocks... Sorta...

No "sorta" about it. Browning's original Hi-Power design a striker-fired pistol that used a double column 16 round magazine. Other than the Glock's trigger and improved polymer (HK was the first to make a plastic-fantasitc pistol), it's not a far stretch from one of Browning's original 1927 designs.
Old November 16, 2009, 12:25 PM   #35
Uncle Buck

I know I am going to catch heck for this one, but: Hi-point is a low cost, easy to maintain pistol that does not require a lot of babying and is accurate enough for target shooting.
If I am going to have a knock-around .45 that I know is not going to be cleaned regularly, can withstand a quick drop in the mud or a puddle, or even a mud-puddle, I do not want it to be my $500+ pistol.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand...int_45acp.html
Old November 16, 2009, 12:34 PM   #36
AJD21

John Browning invented the pistol slide...so yes basically almost all modern handguns are a copy of a critical component of something he invented.
Old November 16, 2009, 02:31 PM   #37
jgcoastie

Quote:
No "sorta" about it. Browning's original Hi-Power design a striker-fired pistol that used a double column 16 round magazine. Other than the Glock's trigger and improved polymer (HK was the first to make a plastic-fantasitc pistol), it's not a far stretch from one of Browning's original 1927 designs.
I know, but it pains me to say it...

I'm a proud Glock owner, but it still just irrks me...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 16, 2009, 04:08 PM   #38
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
it's not a far stretch from one of Browning's original 1927 designs
JMB died in 1926. Browning Hi-Power was introduced in 1935. JMB did contribute to the design; however, only nine years later, with alterations/contributions to his design primarily by Dieudonné Saive, was the design finalized.

JMB designs are the "grandfathers" to all of the existing semi-autos of today.

Now you would not even be here if it weren't for your own grandfather, now would you?

And some of the grandfathers are still alive and kicking (as in still can kick your ...) for example, the 1911.

Now, go figure...
Old November 16, 2009, 05:02 PM   #39
dgludwig

Kind of pricey, maybe but in terms of toughness my vote is for the most evolved Smith "third generation" series of fine pistols: the Model 945.
Old November 16, 2009, 05:54 PM   #40
Wleoff

Ruger 90. I've had this one since they first came out. Will eat anything. Anything that can ride under my truck seat for years is tough and some of that time was in trucks without carpet. Ruger did refinish it, several years ago, to make it pretty again.

Old November 16, 2009, 06:36 PM   #41
Officer's Match

Tie: MK23 and P90.
Old November 16, 2009, 06:50 PM   #42
MilsurpMakesMeHappy

Hey everyone, I'm brand new here, and I'm planning on a .45 as my next pistol, so I found this thread to be useful. I was checking out some Philippine made GI 1911's that seemed to be pretty well made, and not expensive at all. I also like the Springfield Armory. I currently have an LCP, a S&W 6904 (9mm), a .40 USP, and a .44 Redhawk, so naturally I need to add a .45 ACP to the stable.
Old November 16, 2009, 07:41 PM   #43
Micropterus

Another vote for the Glock 21. I bought one years ago and shot the heck out of it. I lost count but know it was well over 20,000 rounds. I don't ever remembering any malfunction. I regret selling it now, but have a nice G21SF to replace it. It's a fantastic gun.
Old November 16, 2009, 07:46 PM   #44
Bigjim3

COLT 1911 Proven more than a time or two
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old November 16, 2009, 08:02 PM   #45
shortwave

+10 on the Colt 1911
Old November 17, 2009, 09:45 PM   #46
Gixerman1000

There are a few that come to mind
S&W 4506
Ruger P90
Glock G21
HK USP

But IMO the absolute toughest 45acp ever built is the HK Mk23, it it will even handel 45 super without changing anything.

http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/mark23/mark23.htm

Here are a few photos I took showing the differences in size and construction between my MK23 and my USP45 Tactical, also notice the different 3 coat finish of the slide and the plated corrosion resistant pins and small parts of the MK23

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70...Tactical01.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70...Tactical02.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70...Tactical03.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70...Tactical04.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70...Tactical05.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70...Tactical06.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70...Tactical07.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70...Tactical08.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70...Tactical09.jpg

Last edited by Gixerman1000; November 17, 2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:59 PM   #47
mavracer

Quote:
JMB died in 1926. Browning Hi-Power was introduced in 1935. JMB did contribute to the design; however, only nine years later, with alterations/contributions to his design primarily by Dieudonné Saive, was the design finalized.
Funny thing about that some of the alterations/contrabutions by Saive were to include designs JBM had sold to Colt that the patents had expired.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 17, 2009, 10:12 PM   #48
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, bdb benzino,

I am willing to bet at least a small coffee that the "bullet lodged in the barrel" claim is a trick, and that they lodge the bullet just ahead of and touching the bullet of the chambered round. When the gun is fired, both bullets exit and the barrel is not damaged. Makes a neat claim, but in fact about any .45 pistol will pass that test. Now if they lodge the bullet, say, 1 1/2" in from the muzzle, then I will give them the prize for the toughest .45 barrel of all time.

Jim
Old November 18, 2009, 12:11 AM   #49
espnazi

The USP 45 will also handle 45 Super fine but if you plan on shooting a lot of it just change the recoil spring to one with more pounds.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:13 AM   #50
sks

Jim Keenan: This is a bit off subject but your reference to H&K's claim of shooting a bullet out of the barrel made me think of a little accident we had last year. My wife was shooting my Ruger Vaquero .45lc with a 7.5" barrel when one bullet lodged in the barrel, (bad reload), she then immediately shot another one as she did not notice what had happened. I was not present when she did this but came upon it right after. She said it sounded funny when she shot it.

I checked and saw that the barrel was obstructed so we unloaded the gun. When I got it home and began to get the bullet out, to my utter dismay there were two. That set me back for a few minutes. I have both of those bullets in my reloading room as a reminder of 1) The Lord watches out for fools, 2) I had better be CAREFUL with my reloads.

That being said, the second bullet did not dislodge the first one.