The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2009, 10:58 AM   #26
DG45

Check out this hyperlink. This is an article copyrighted in 2003. There may have been developments since then that makes the data obsolete, but I was mostly interested in what this guy said back in 2003 about Auto 5's (since I have a Remington Model 11 which is practically the same John Browning-designed gun). What's amazing to me is that a gun that was designed before the turn of the 20th century was still spoken of as a fast-operating gun, and was still among the fastest autoloaders today - well, as of 2003 anyway - although it was clearly no longer THE fastest.

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=U...TTbGDJE5euEg--
Old November 21, 2009, 01:16 PM   #27
Slopemeno

Yeah, I recall reading that when it came out. Good read.

The only rub is the A-5 (and make no mistake- I lOVE A-5's) recoil pretty hard- there's a lot moving around on them. I'd still love to snag one, though.
It says a lot for a 105 year old design that still can get it done.
Old November 21, 2009, 03:57 PM   #28
DG45

Oh yeah, A-5's and Model 11's are bruisers for sure. Fine for hunting, and for a limited amount of shooting, but not an everyday skeet shooter. Fifteen or so rounds into shooting mine and I have a badly bruised shoulder. Then I can't shoot it again for two or three weeks. But these guns can be tamed a little by some adjustments you can make according to the type of loads you use. Instructions for how to do this came inside the forearm of my gun. You can also replace the hard plastic butt plate (which is the only plastic part of this gun) with a recoil pad, but I can't bring myself to do it to my completely original Model 11, manufactured in 1938. I know the A-5 is the ultimate gun that people want because it has the name Browning on it, but if you can't find one, the Remington Model 11 is a nearly identical gun (if you can live without a magazine cutoff which is the only real difference between these guns). These days you can find Remington Model 11's rollmarked with their famous duck and pheasant hunting scene in very good to excellent condition that will probably last for another 100 years selling for $200-$250 - an incredible value considering the quality of these guns, and a deal that can't last forever.
Old November 21, 2009, 05:07 PM   #29
darkgael

Fast

I was discussing this a couple of years ago with a dog trainer out in PA. His response was "Semi , the Benelli. Want to see?" "Yep", I said.
Three rounds (that's the way the gun was set up to be legal in PA), the hulls all in the air at the same time. Sounded like one long blast.
As partial as I am to pumps, I was impressed.

Pete