The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 9, 2009, 05:58 PM   #1
horatioo

m1 garand from CMP

I went to an Appleseed Project gun shoot over the weekend. It was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot. I am a much better shooter now that I know some of the basics.

After the two days of shooting most of the class went to the 200 yard range to shoot various centerfire rifles. One of the instructors had a M1 Garand that he picked out personally from the CMP store in Alabama. He said this way he could get a really good rifle.

My question is about the various grades of M1 Garands that CMP sells. I want an accurate rifle. I am not working now so it would be nice to be able to get the rack grade for $445, but I would rather spend the extra money and get the service grade for $595 if the service grade warrants the extra money. All I want is an accurate, dependable rifle. Which rifle should I buy?

Thanks for any answer and a special thanks to whoever it is who has the Appleseed line in his signature. I really like Appleseed and learned a lot. I bolded the question I want answered.

Thanks again.

edited to add: Is there much of a chance of them running out of M1Garands? As I said I am not working now.

Last edited by horatioo; November 9, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old November 9, 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
CortJestir

Quote:
Thanks for any answer and a special thanks to whoever it is who has the Appleseed line in his signature. I really like Appleseed and learned a lot. I bolded the question I want answered.
Well, that would be me or azredhawk, but I know there are a few other Appleseeders here as well that aren't as active on this forum. So on behalf of one of us, you're welcome. Thanks for gettin' off the couch and stepping up.

In researching my Garand from the CMP, I came to the general consensus that the Service grade is worth the extra money and offers the best bang for the buck. With the Rack grades, you run more of the risk of getting a nicked crown/muzzle or worn bore - two things that'll really mess with accuracy. Then you'll spend a few hundred to get it re-barelled - that would be money that you would have spent on a Service grade anyway.

That said, how about something in the middle? For $50 more, you can get an SA Field Grade. There have been reports of Field grades coming in that could almost pass for Service grades. YMMV, of course.

Ordering Garands from the CMP is like a box of chocolates...
Old November 9, 2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Flatbush Harry

FWIW, you might contact Tim Shufflin (www.shuffsparkerizing.com) and Fulton Armory (www.fulton-armory.com) regarding prices for refurbing a Garand racker. I have seen many very fine service grade M1s that are excellent shooters and my own experience with CMP has been superb (I've gone the correct grade route in the past and have received basically nearly unused metal in rough original stocks). My regular shooter is a 5.4mm SA CG that will shoot to 2" at 100yds from a Caldwell Lead Sled with HXP Greek M2 ball. I'm going to be working up match loads over the winter that I believe will better that.

Net, net, a sight-unseen racker may need work while a SG should work well out of the box. I'm a big believer in having a qualified armorer check the rifle before use, especially with a rack grade.

Good luck and good shooting,

FH
Old November 9, 2009, 07:15 PM   #4
bcarver

for the buck

Service grade is worth the money. do it.
With that said I splurged on a SA special for 995.
Old November 9, 2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Chris_B

As others have mentioned, the Service Grade seems the most cost effective blend of economy and 'performance' if you will

Bear in mind that a 'correct' (in regards to all one manufacturer's parts) rifle can often be made of a 'mixed' Service Grade by simply swapping with other folks who have 'mixed' SG rifles from the CMP

I got mine about two years ago. Here's how the internals looked out of the box:

My wood was all USGI. I hear many SG rifles from the CMP now come with new wood. I would not have wanted new wood. I also requested a WWII serial number; my SA was made in 1944, re-barreled sometime afrter the war with a '46 barrel, also SA. This is the wood after I cleaned, and scrubbed, and cleaned. You can imagine how it looked when I got it when you realize this was about 20 hours of working the wood just to make it brown instead of black.

Once it got cleaned up, I finished the wood, repalced the handguards with USGI walnut replacements (20 bucks each) and a repro 1907 sling. I swapped the H&R trigger group I had at the time (in the previous photo that's an SA trigger guard on the H&R trigger group) with another CMP rifle owner. He had an SA trigger group in really good shape on his H&R so we traded. That made my rifle all 'correct' with the exception of the windage and elevation knobs. I still am looking for the right lockbar rear sight. My SG M1 from the CMP is in better shape cosmetically and structurally than the ones I see at shows going for 1500 bucks. So in my opinion, getting a Service Grade is a good way to get good metal, then take your time to get whatever you want- better wood, correct parts, etc, as you go