The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 8, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Servo77

Daniel defense m4 vs colt

Ok, I hate to do another versus thread, but here goes...

How do Daniel defense stack up against colt? It is apparently built to full milspec like colt (mpi barrel & bolt, etc). I know that they haven't been around long, but they seem to know what they are doing.

I ask because I have considered selling one 6920 (I have two) and getting a 6940, but I can get the ddm4 fir less money + the $250 black card.

What say you?
Old November 8, 2009, 02:04 PM   #2
GLK

With NIB Colt 6920s selling for $1,000.00-$1,100.00, unless I could sell my used Colt and make money doing so I would just keep it. A little less than a year ago 6920s were selling for as much as $2,000.00 if not more.

The AR market is flush and is only going to get better(from a buyers perspective)in my opinion.

So many people panic bought when they really couldn't justify it financially and more and more of them are selling off their ARs and their AR accessories to pay for real threats like hunger shut off utilities and medical coverage.

DD makes very fine carbines and as a small shop you may actually get more attention to detail than you would from Colt, I would also tend to think that you would get more choices/options from DD.
Old November 8, 2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Haven't been able to handle any DD rifles; but have several items of DD gear I am very happy with. If it has comparable or better features compared to the 6920, I would feel comfortable making that trade. However, the Colt will probably hold its value better. DD isn't anywhere near as widely known and Colt is both widely known and the benchmark for comparison.
Old November 9, 2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Jimro

If you can sell the less accurate 6920 for enough to cover the cost of the DDm4, I don't see why you shouldn't.

I've only used DD products (quad rail free float system) but I also have a Colt HBAR upper that I like. I think that DD's will hold value in the long run.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old November 13, 2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Servo77

anyone on the boards here have direct experience with DD and their rifles?
Old November 13, 2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Alleykat

I used a Daniel Defense M4 barrel for a recent build. Great barrel! I've never been enamored with Colt. Anybody who's ever actually built an AR wouldn't be overly enamored with Colt either.
Old November 13, 2009, 07:57 PM   #7
GLK

Quote:
I've never been enamored with Colt. Anybody who's ever actually built an AR wouldn't be overly enamored with Colt either.
How so(just curious), FWIW I have built several AR and still think Colt is without a doubt the best of the mass produced offerings.

Quote:
anyone on the boards here have direct experience with DD and their rifles?

Servo77 if you want to know from experienced low drag fast mover types that use their ARs as weapons to kill the enemy, check out lightfighterDOTnet or M4carbineDOTcom . There are 1000s of service members past and present that frequent both these forums and they can explain in as much detail that you may need in regards to what is what and what is best and why. These guys not only talk the talk they walk the walk.
Old November 14, 2009, 08:12 AM   #8
Jimro

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of vets and service members here on TFL as well...

The DD free float tube I used was on an AMU match grade M16A4. I figure if it's good enough for the AMU....

Jimro

Old November 14, 2009, 10:44 AM   #9
Skyyr

+1 to what Bartholomew said.

The Colt is going to be the "raw" military weapon, no frills or enhancements.

The DD is built to the exact same specs, but since basically all manufacturers are competing with Colt, you'll find they've differed in a few of the ergonomics and looks.

The DD will probably "feel" better and handle better, but the Colt will keep its resale value better.

It's similar to comparing a John Deere to a Kubota tractor. Every American knows what a John Deere is and its iconic to us Americans. Their designs don't change too much, except what's needed to stay competitive. Kubota's are Japanese-based and, on the flipside, are always changing to accommodate the latest new trend. Even though the Kubota's might be more comfortable and have more frills, the Deere is going to keep its value in the long-run, simply because of its established name.

Hope that helps.
Old November 14, 2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Servo77

well, I still can't find anything negative about the DD, but I cannot find anyone who has one and has ran it hard (like a carbine course). Anyone know any expert (i.e.pat rogers) or someone who has commented on them?
Old November 14, 2009, 08:04 PM   #11
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, looking at the features for the DD M4 and based on my past experience with their AR accessories, I would be all over one if I could trade a used 6920 for one and still come out $250 ahead. I think that is a good deal.

MSRP on the website is $1650 for even the low-budget M4 version and you get the Magpul MOE furniture, a rail, and a detachable fixed sight instead of a carry handle. Plus it meets every feature the Colt offers with regards to the internals and barrel and uses a cold hammer forged barrel.
Old November 15, 2009, 04:23 AM   #12
Jimro

Servo77,

I wouldn't worry about the reliability of any well built M4 clone.

I've run several milspec M4's into the ground during rather "normal" military training. It has been my experience that FN M16A2's are more reliable than Colt M4's. Does that mean Colt's are bad? Probably not.

Would I worry about the reliability of a DD carbine as opposed to a Colt? No. There isn't a whole lot of "magic" involved in building a good AR pattern rifle, no matter what brand shooterX personally endorses.

Once upon a time names like "White Oak" and "Compass Lake" were the unknown newcomers.

If you are really concerned over reliability of brand X verses brand Y in an M4 clone, then get the brand you trust. It probably won't be any more reliable, but it will at least make you feel better.

Jimro