The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 7, 2009, 10:17 AM   #1
ceadermtnboy

Price check on Dan Wesson pistol pack

I just laid away a Monson made pistol pack 15-2 with four vent rib barrells 2,4,6,8 with case, tools, sights, and two grips. No patch or buckle. Price was $700.00. Is this a good price? I am unfamiliar with theese but as normally happens while in the local gun store it jumped out at me. The more I handled it, the more I liked. It looks very tight and blue finish is perfect on gun and barrells with a nice polish. Did not need to do that, but I walked out minus 100 bucks and scheming to come up with the balance. I think I am addicted
Old November 7, 2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Chindo18Z

I'd say that is a fair price. You might occasionally find a local sale for slightly less, but not very often.

Online GunBroker prices reflect the high end of the market, but are useful for nationwide comparison:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=145873387 - buy now price $750

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=145731102 - asking $950

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=139313316 - sold for $1,125

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=139701453 - sold for $750

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140215503 - sold for $850

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140821513 - sold for $799

Dan Wessons, (especially Monsons in pistol pack configuration) will continue to climb in value. More importantly, you will REALLY enjoy shooting it. My first .357 VHB M15 was, hands down, the most accurate out-of-the-box revolver I've ever shot. It would outshoot any of my K, L, or N Frame Smiths and my Colt Python. Naturally, I sold it. Dumb...I've been kicking myself ever since.

Most other Dan Wesson owners enjoy a similar experience.

Buy it.
Old November 7, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Lashlarue

I had one with just the 4" barrel, very nice pistol. it was stolen in a 1984 burglary, at the time I wasn't as gun savy as I am now.I never kept up with them, but now I would consider the multiple barrel ones as collector items. A LE friend of mine said that criminals took a liking to them for the ability change barrels and change the ballistic fingerprint.As a side note mine which was stolen in Houston Texas and ended up in an evidence locker in Indianapolis as a murder weapon used in a murder in 1993.The FBI tracked me to Las Vegas , luckily I had the incident # in my wallet.The Indianapolis homicide detective told me the serial# had been filed off and the gun was recovered in a swamp in Michigan minus the barrel.He said that after the trial I could get it back but it was then only good as a paperweight.I have enough paperweights disguised as firearms, so I never gave it another thought.
Old November 7, 2009, 09:48 PM   #4
wdelack

The Dan Wesson Pistol Pac sets have become sought after by an ever growing number of collectors. I currently own 3 of them in 22LR (model 22), 357 Mag (model 15-2) and 44 Mag (model 44). If the Pac is real clean and the revolver itself has tight lockup and no signs of abuse, then $700 should be a very reasonable price. A clean model 15/15-2 revolver itself is approaching $400. Typically the barrel/shroud assembles are fetching ~$180 each, and the Pac cases are selling for close to $200. Add up the numbers...

Spend a little time on www.danwessonforum.com and you'll be hooked for sure
Old November 8, 2009, 10:35 AM   #5
ceadermtnboy

Thanks for the informantion gents! I feel like a got a good price, not a steal. The action on mine is very tight and it looks brand new. I am getting excited about getting out of layaway and shooting. The grips that come with it are overly large and not very pretty. One of the grips is actually round or circular. I see some grips on CZ usa website that I like but is says for large frame. I am assuming that they will not fit the 15-2? Do you guys know if the grips for large frame DW'S fit the 15-2? Once again thanks, I will post pictures when I get it out. I have had a Python and sold it stupidly! In some ways the DW with the 4" barrell looks more appealing? anywone agree?
Old November 8, 2009, 10:52 AM   #6
wdelack

The model 15 is a small frame Dan Wesson revolver. Grips for the large frame models will not fit.

Follow the link and scroll down to see pictures of all the grip versions that are available for the small frame revolvers. Click on the pictures to enlarge them. http://www.danwessonforum.com/?page_...nches-patches/

A Colt Python is a "holy grail" gun for many people. I once owned one, it was stolen, I would love to own another. At the current prices one could almost buy 2 Dan Wesson pistol packs for the same price as what many Pythons are selling for.

Last edited by wdelack; November 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old November 8, 2009, 11:18 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

In the condition you stated it is worth $700 plus no problem. I have seen just the cases go for $200 on e-bay. I picked up a 15-2 pac about two years ago, less case for $450 and felt I stole it.
Old November 8, 2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Elsilrac1

Around here 700 would be a good price - as other posters have said they have become a wanted item.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:43 AM   #9
glenncal1

Ceader-grips for the DW's show up all the time on ebay and the various gun auction sites.Yours is a DW small frame (the most common of which are the .22s and .357s), Small frame is a relative term, they are stout revolvers and nothing size wize like a small frame S&W, more like a L or N frame. I put 50 .38s and 50 .357s through mine yesterday.

Many K and N Frames
Old November 9, 2009, 08:07 PM   #10
War_Eagle

madcratebuilder I love the set you have. I believe the 8 in I owned back in 1984 was a model15-2 VH (vent heavy) like the one pictured. The full underlug gave it enough weight to be a real nail driver. Also had the snub nose barrel with it. I would love to have it back. Buy it!
Old November 10, 2009, 07:00 AM   #11
MKK

new pak

Yes, I agree, the 4" Dan 15-2 looks awesome and does rival the Python in my opinion. You will love your pak, probably narrowing down to one or two favorite barrels, eh, for this month. I have 4 of the wood grips in three styles but I have the rubber Hogues on them for shooting, they fit my hand well and eliminate the slip factor. (I have two 15-2s). Your next quest along with grips will be for VH barrels. I also would suggest reloading if you don't already do so, this way you can take full advantage of each barrel length. Enjoy your Dan Wesson!
Old November 10, 2009, 07:21 AM   #12
Ian0351

I recently paid $399 for a 14-2 (fixed sight model) with only a 4" barrel and feel that I got what I paid for... am on the look out for 8" and 2.5" barrels to round out the capabilities of the most accurate revolver I have ever shot.

You got a great deal.

Semper Fidelis
Old November 10, 2009, 05:40 PM   #13
alanyang

todays purchase

Dan Wesson energy must be in the air today

Went into my local gun range today to purchase 357 range ammo for the S&W 686 6" with adjustable front sights that I bought Monday of this week.

I was just in there Sunday shooting my Colt Trooper and Ruger GP100 and looked over all the guns , Nothing new.
However Monday they took in a Dan Wesson 15-2VH in a 4 " blue Bull vented barrel . original box all papers , instruction manual, 3 grips and tool.
So Out I went with it for the total of $275.00 Not a mark on it. Like new

357 wheel guns just seem to grow around here. Old school rules.

Alan
Old November 10, 2009, 08:04 PM   #14
ceadermtnboy

MKK, the pistol pack has a 2,4, and 8 inch VH vented heavy, the 6 inch barrel is just vented. This seems odd and maybe was not part of original pack. When I get it off layaway I will post pics. The serial number on the gun is 4XXXX, does anyone know if that serial range gun has the punched cylinder stop? or the welded?

thanks, CMB

Last edited by ceadermtnboy; November 11, 2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old November 11, 2009, 06:14 AM   #15
MKK

cylinder stop

ceadermtnboy, both of my Monson 15-2s have the "punched" cylinder stops and the serials are 111xxx and 139xxx. If yours is punched, it would be a good idea to periodically check it by pushing in on it, and if it is nudging out, remove and put a little fingernail polish on it to keep it in. Those stops cost around 25 bucks from CZDW. I have not seen a pak sold originally with mixed barrel configs, but that is not to say it didn't happen through a special request.

You may be able to get an answer to your question at http://www.danwessonforum.com, it definately appears that you have DWAS!
THose guys know just about everything there is about Dans.

If I ran across a deal like alanyang ran across, I would have put scorch marks on my jeans pulling on my wallet.
Old November 11, 2009, 07:52 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

Quote:
However Monday they took in a Dan Wesson 15-2VH in a 4 " blue Bull vented barrel . original box all papers , instruction manual, 3 grips and tool.
So Out I went with it for the total of $275.00 Not a mark on it. Like new

357 wheel guns just seem to grow around here. Old school rules.

Alan
Dude! you stole that revolver!

Quote:
Yes, I agree, the 4" Dan 15-2 looks awesome and does rival the Python in my opinion.
I agree, I have owned two Pythons in my days and I think they are a bit over rated. Beautiful revolvers, accurate as heck but shoot out of time rather fast.

I compared my Model 40-V8S to a Python one time and caught a lot of flack about it. That is until we went to the range. Four different shooters and all but the Python owner shot better with the DW.

Old November 11, 2009, 09:17 AM   #17
glenncal1

Alan-definitely GTDW (Grand Theft Dan Wesson), great score. I will give you $300 for it you can make a 9% profit overnight. Thats 3285% on an annualized basis

Many K and N Frames
Old November 11, 2009, 10:02 AM   #18
alanyang

follow up

Morning Guys

Sitting here getting ready to order 3 sights and a 6" barrel and extra tools from the factory. what the heck may as well get everything so I will have a complete kit .

I stop in different gun shops in Ohio weekly and about once in 50 stops find the right deals.
this week was very unusual finding the S&W 686 and the Dan Wesson back to back Monday and Tuesday. Am 63 yrs old and bought my first colt new in the late 60s. Still have the 4" trooper I Bought new in 1978. Unfortunatly like a lot of us some great pistols got away to pay for life
worst sale 1976 Colt Gold Cup and a Ace 22 . Oh well
Take Care
Alan
Old November 11, 2009, 10:20 AM   #19
eastbank

i have a small selection of .357,44 dan wesson barrels to sell,no shourds. if interested pm me.
Old November 11, 2009, 07:11 PM   #20
wdelack

Buying Dan Wessons can become an addiction

Old November 12, 2009, 07:01 AM   #21
MKK

photo

wdelack - so true, so true. And I have to say, what a fantastic photo! It really seems to bring out the beauty and ruggedness of these awesome weapons. VERY nice!
Old November 13, 2009, 10:35 PM   #22
wdelack

Thanks MKK!

Sure would be nice to add a Dan Wesson model 360 and model 460 to that picture

-WD
Old November 14, 2009, 07:18 AM   #23
MKK

360 or 460

Yes, they both would be great additions. If you could pick only one of the two which would it be? Personally, I would go for the 360.

Let me throw in a guess as to your favorite shooter out of the 3 in the picture, the .41 ?
Old November 14, 2009, 10:07 AM   #24
wdelack

If I were to locate both a 360 and 460 and could only choose one, I would have to pick the 360, simply because of it's rarity. The 460 offers a wider range of ammo choices.

The model 41 is the latest addition to my Dan Wesson collection. I haven't been able to locate ammo for it yet (have some on order). So the model 745 is still my favorite shooter as 45 Long Colt is such a versatile cartridge.
Old November 15, 2009, 09:45 AM   #25
MKK

.45 colt

As you all ready know, the .45 Colt is a very sought after caliber in the Dan Wesson line, the reasons I guessed .41 is due to the trajectory and power of the cartridge along with that Houge you have on it. I would be willing to bet that brass for the 360 is about as rare as the gun itself. It appears that .357 Max brass is too thick and cannot be trimmed down for the 360.