The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 6, 2009, 11:15 AM   #1
sgray

Shooting Rest Opinions and Experiences

Hey, I am getting ready to purchase a shooting rest. I plan on mainly using it for checking zero on my rifles, and when working up loads while reloading, which can involve the need to shoot 50 - 100 times through the course of an extended session, to narrow down a reloading recipe that works best for a particular rifle. I am considering the Lead Sled DFT and the Hyscore DLX Precision shooting rest. The Lead Sled DFT seems to be well regarded. Anyone have any experience with the Hyscore? Any opinions or experiences with either device?
Old November 6, 2009, 09:53 PM   #2
brentf

Tried the lead sled, very nice. No experience with the other
Old November 7, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Toolman

Haven't tried either one of them. I use Caldwell's "Rock Rest" & a rear bag.
Old November 8, 2009, 12:04 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

A home made bag you can either put sand in or rice or kitty litter works as well as anything else. A solid bench is as important as the rest too.
Old November 14, 2009, 04:24 AM   #5
telemark

I use "The Rock" rest and a rear bag. I don't like 1 piece shooting rests, and have tried quite a few and have always shot better using some sort of front rest and a rear bag.
Old November 15, 2009, 04:14 PM   #6
DVC45ACP

If I want to shoot off rest at the local range, I usually use sand-filled sandbags, sometime with a lighter-weight bag under the bottom of the buttstock. I try to be aware of how much pressure I am putting anyplace on the rifle.

Shooting from rest is great for working up loads, testing consistency and such, but I always try to shoot from "real" positions as well if it's a practical rifle. I've seen people run into trouble - most often scope eye relief - when facing situations like firing from prone for the first time in a class.