The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old November 6, 2009, 08:39 PM   #26
roklok

I would choose a reliable autoloading .223 for the long gun and a .357 or .44 as a handgun. I have shot everything from ptarmigan and rabbits to caribou with the .223 with no problem. FMJ does not cause much destruction on the smaller stuff. I personally think the shotgun is an overrated choice for a survival situation. Not enough range, and the ammunition is too heavy and bulky to carry much of. In a survival situation, you can shoot ducks and geese in the water with .223 FMJ. I know a guy who has lived in bush Alaska for 25 years, living off the land. He grows his own veggies and kills his own meat. He lives 8 hours by boat from the nearest neighbor. He told me he always thought the 22 LR was the best survival gun, but he changed his mind when he got his AR-15. He carrys it with him everywhere and has killed all manner of game with it, small to large.
Old November 6, 2009, 08:51 PM   #27
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

22 cal single action revolver with 4" barrel and target sights

!2 gauge pump with a 20" barrel and a fixed IM choke as versatile enough for shot or slugs.

Good for squirrel to Kodiak to 2 legged boogermen.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 6, 2009, 10:33 PM   #28
Ian0351

Never Mind, Brent

I answered my own question (pertaining to slugs and chokes) via the search function... and thanks L_Killkenny for pointing the truth out to me.
Back to the topic: I would feel fine with my Dan Wesson 14-2 and Mossberg 500 w/assortment of shells for anything I could encounter where I live and am pretty sure I could feed myself for a few days. I am more of a hiker than a hunter, but plan to rectify that soon!

Semper Fidelis
Old November 6, 2009, 10:43 PM   #29
ssilicon

The question was not complete. Survive WHAT exactly and for how long? If it is man vs. nature then geography makes a difference. If it is also potentially man against man, then that also can greatly change the requirements. For man against man, I would want the "longer reach", accuracy and ability to punch through some cover better than the enemy, so that I can kill him before he even has the ability to kill me.
Old November 6, 2009, 10:48 PM   #30
Tomas204

Ok Ill keep my 460 and a .17 hmr
Old November 6, 2009, 11:19 PM   #31
Fat White Boy

I started a similar thread a couple of years ago but my scenario was that if it was 1800 and you had to cross the continental U.S., which pistol and which long gun would you use. just like Biggfatts I would use the same caliber combo in your scenario as in mine- You only need to carry one size ammo...

Of course the .454 is hell on rabbits....
Old November 6, 2009, 11:57 PM   #32
smleno1mkIII

what about a .22\12ga over and under and either a .480 or .454 super redhawk as backup for yogi ohh or a 460 yes a 460 shoots 3 differn't kinds of ammo hmm.
Old November 7, 2009, 12:06 AM   #33
RC1986

an ak47 and a glock for me does it!
Old November 7, 2009, 12:09 AM   #34
smleno1mkIII

I hope you brought lots of ammo cause youll need it should you run across yogi
Old November 7, 2009, 12:54 AM   #35
Big Bill

Marlin 336C 30-30 and a Ruger .22 single six convertable.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old November 7, 2009, 09:54 AM   #36
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Thanks to those few who would have been hunting and ran into a survival situation. No thanks to those who were diddling around the SHTF garbage, which is not a topic for this forum--as I stated.
Closed Thread