151 to 200 yards 6 6.32%
201 yards and beyond 7 7.37%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8, 2009, 11:29 PM   #26
brentf

100 to 200 is pretty common
Old November 9, 2009, 08:08 PM   #27
Jack O'Conner

The region hunted has a lot to do with the answer(s). I doubt if many Dakota Territory prairie hunters experience consistant short range shots. I certainly have not. But don't believe all the horse manure myths about magnum rifles req'd to take mulies. Plenty are toppled each November by so-called ordinary deer rifles such as 243, 270, 308, and the ever popular 30-06. I've had good luck with 30-30 but I pass up shots beyond 175 yards or so.

Jack
Old November 9, 2009, 08:39 PM   #28
2rugers

The closest shot we would likely have on our farm is 150 yards give or take, not by choice of course, just the way the deer come and go.

To date the closest shot has been a doe at 139 yds. and the longest has been a small buck at a ranged 418 yards.

The wife just killed her best buck yesterday at 315 yards.

All a matter of where and what you hunt.
Old November 9, 2009, 11:34 PM   #29
RC1986

ive shot many bucks within less of the 100 yard range, cuz i aint walkin any further than 100 yards to claim a trophy lol.
Old November 10, 2009, 12:21 AM   #30
Swampghost

I've been hunting new-to-me private land for the last few years and the regulars get the prime stands, all in tight. My kind of hunting.

Being last in line leaves you out in the pastures with 200-300+ ranges.
Old November 10, 2009, 03:59 PM   #31
sc928porsche

Untill I moved to alabama just a few short years ago, Most of my deer hunting was done in one place. It is a cliff area that is approached from the top and a small access trail going down and traversing to about 20' below the rim behind a large boulder. Its about another 60' drop to the floor that tapers down hill along a falling ridge. Almost all the deer that I have harvested from there have been between 150 and 300yds. That spot has never failed to produce an nice mulie every year for decades. I glad that my grandfather showed it to me. Since I left, my daughter reports to me that she is having success there too.
Old November 10, 2009, 05:08 PM   #32
Kendrickson

I think all my deer have been under fifty yards. I would feel confident shooting farther, but I rarely have the opportunity in the terrain that I hunt. In fact, when I was twelve I shot my first deer from about ten feet away. She was running straight at me...it was either shoot or be run over!
Old November 10, 2009, 06:31 PM   #33
taylorce1

Quote:
Looking at the poll it's kind of funny. Everyone talking about 300 to 500 yard shots like they are nothing, and sighting in to be extra high at 100 yards so your on at x yards and so low at x yards. We sight dead on for 100 yards, and know the rifle good enough for something alittle more or less. ............... Were we hunt deer it is free arm, and most folks after 100 yards cant hit squat free arm past 50 yards, but they are ready for that 300 yard shot that will never happen.
Well I'll admit I don't shoot enough from unsuported postitions and probably can't hit anything standing off hand much past 50 yards. However I do zero my rifles for point blank range so I can hold dead on to 300 +/- yards and know I'm going to be in the kill zone. From a day pack, bi-pod, or shooting sticks that animal is going to be mine at 300 yards. 95% of my shots are never past 300 yards, however they can be at any time since the only trees around where I hunt are ones people planted on the Eastern plains of Colorado.
Old November 10, 2009, 06:52 PM   #34
James R. Burke

Well were I hunt all shots are under 100 yards most under fifty. They dont give you much time, and there is no way you can use sticks or a support. You better be able to make the shot off hand. I have never seen anyone here use sticks. Some maybe have a post they can lay there rifle down on to aim but not many. Try some off hand shooting at gallon jugs filled with water at 100 yards, when you start breaking them your doing good in my book. Really not much of a shot with a high powered rifle reading all the posts. But that is how myself and wife practice after we are sighted in good. Just myself and the way I feel. More power to you Sir. You have the area and time to set up and do it. No doubt you are a very good shot, and know your rifle well. We just dont have anywere you could even check a rifle at 300 yards.

Last edited by James R. Burke; November 10, 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Add: