The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 4, 2009, 05:30 AM   #1
ChiefMuzz

Hollowpoints or Hardcasts?

I will be using my 454 SRH this year for deer and wanted to get some opinions on ammo choice. Hornady makes a 300 gr. HP and I was wondering in anyone knew the effectiveness of it for deer sized game? Would it be worth using or should I just stick to a nice heavy hardcast? I want something in the 300-330 gr. range. I'll be using hardcast for black bear but didn't know if I should use those for deer or if the HP would be more effective.
Old November 4, 2009, 07:47 AM   #2
hornady

As always shot placement is your main concern. My opinion I would stick to the solid bullet. For two reasons, one different bullets will act differently. This way you will be familiar with the Ammo you are using. The second. A hollow point bullet is more apt to fragment. There is a lot of controversy on this . but most wildlife biologist , now recommend cutting all the meat out around the wound channel. Dew to lead contamination. Just my two cents worth.
Old November 4, 2009, 10:02 AM   #3
2rugers

Well, I would go another direction and choose a good expanding soft point.

That has been a good choice for my .44 mag. Redhawk and would do you well in the .454.
Old November 4, 2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Ole 5 hole group

On a nice broadside shot a HP works great. If the deer is a nice trophy and you have to shoot end to end, then the hard cast may be the better choice. If you want to pay a premium price for a jacketed HP that will go end to end on deer, you might want to consider the Hawk bullet. http://www.hawkbullets.com/maintest.htm
Old November 4, 2009, 01:03 PM   #5
LHB1

My prediction: either bullet you described will kill a deer if you place it right. Pick which ever bullet you prefer and go for it. I used hard cast bullets in my .44 Mag pistols with excellent results on both white tail deer and wild hogs.