The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 3, 2009, 11:13 AM   #1
RetiredMajor

Ruger Mini 14 question

I'm about to buy the basic Ranch Rifle model with wooden stock. Here's my question: Will the Ranch Rifle accept both the 5 and 20 round magazines or are there different models, one model that takes the 5 round mags and a different model that takes the 20 round mags?

Thanks,
Major
Old November 3, 2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Darsh

They accept both. Unless I... completely missed something. The magazine slot on my Dad's ranch rifle and my NRA edition (with 20 rounders) look identical to me.
Old November 3, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Omaha-BeenGlockin

It will accept--5 -- 10 -- 20 -- and 30 round magazines.
-------Metallica
Old November 3, 2009, 11:51 AM   #4
RetiredMajor

Great...thanks for verifying that. I thought so and it's good to hear. I'm excited to get my new rifle. It will be my first rifle and I hear a lot of good things about the revamped Ranch Rifle including a bit more accuracy out of the box. I like the looks and apparently they are very reliable. This will be my Xmas present. WoooHooo!
Old November 3, 2009, 12:29 PM   #5
sholling

Just stick with pricey factory magazines. Most of the cheap 3rd party mags are a problem waiting to happen.
Old November 3, 2009, 12:33 PM   #6
RetiredMajor

sholling...thanks for the advice. I think I'll do that. I don't need a lot of magazines anyway and I don't want to struggle with them.

Major
Old November 3, 2009, 01:51 PM   #7
qwman68

+1 on the good mags.stay away from el cheapos.. pro-mag has always worked well in my mini. i have 2-20 and 1-30 in pro-mag and they work very well
Old November 3, 2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Skans

PMI magazines are ok - for the most part they are pretty sturdy and work well in my AC556 (full-auto mini-14).

HOWEVER, the factory Ruger magazines are still better. The feed lips on the factory magazines are very rigid and will not bend or distort even after loading the magazine many times. It's easy to bend the feed lips on the PMI magazines and other "good" after market magazines. You can bend them back a bit to get it to work again, but you won't have to worry about this with the Ruger factory magazines. I use a speed loader to load my ruger magazines, and after loading many rounds, the PMI will distort slightly.

It seems as though Ruger uses a slightly thicker steel or a better grade steel in their magazines - I don't know why it would be so difficult for an aftermarket company to make a decent magazine, given the price these things go for!!

FWIW, the Ruger Mini-14 is not actually finicky about magazines. The problem is that the aftermarket magazines are simply not as good as the factory. Most all of them can be tweaked a little to be made to work. I've examined all of my magazines that I regularly use and I can visually see slight differences in the feed lips and top portion of the magazines that tell me they are not identical in spec., yet they all still function ok. So, you can't blame the rifle, you've got to blame the magazines.

Last edited by Skans; November 3, 2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old November 3, 2009, 08:49 PM   #9
sholling

Quote:
PMI magazines are ok - for the most part they are pretty sturdy and work well in my AC556 (full-auto mini-14).
PMI were excellent mags but unless something changed recently haven't been made since the Clinton ban in the 90s. They just seem to show up now in then at a gun shop's box of forgotten "stuff".
Old November 3, 2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Edward429451

Those 90 rd plastic mags they sell MTM? They work great! Only load 80
Old November 4, 2009, 07:32 AM   #11
MTT TL

I must have got a weird one. Cheap plastic mags never jam. Factory mags never jam. Now, hitting things with it... that is a whole other story.
Old November 4, 2009, 08:12 AM   #12
Skans

Quote:
PMI were excellent mags but unless something changed recently haven't been made since the Clinton ban in the 90s. They just seem to show up now in then at a gun shop's box of forgotten "stuff".
I bought several around ''03. They were fairly easy to find then, but I honestly haven't looked recently. The PMI mags were ok. They worked, but they stilll aren't as good as the factory mags. The only reason I say that is because I've had to tweek the feed lips on the PMI mags after a lot of use. Factory mag never needs adjusting.
Old November 4, 2009, 09:14 AM   #13
KMO

Factory or Thermold Mags Only

There are plenty of opinions out there about magazines to fit & function for the Mini-14. After trying nearly all of them, I landed on just two that I will use, Ruger factory mags and Thermold polymer mags (if one can find them). I just had too many issues with virtually every other type of mag. A guy needs to know the magazines are going to function without incident.

CDNN online is an excellent source for factory mags, under $30 for either 20-round or 30-rounders...good service too.

www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com
Old November 4, 2009, 10:11 AM   #14
FiveForSure

The factory mags are good, as are the two Thermold mags I own. I have one "USA" magazine with a problem though (out of two I own), it consistently jams on the last round. Last time I used it (which is the LAST time I use it), I had a round bend at the crimp, with the bullet facing into the bore at an odd angle and the casing sticking straight up and out. Luckily for me, I like doing gun photography so I have a use for a designated "empty" magazine.
Old November 4, 2009, 11:36 AM   #15
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Agree with the factory magazine recommendation. I went around and around with poor magazines, sold the rifle. Now that Ruger is selling factory magazines, I purchased a new rifle. Works great!
Old November 6, 2009, 01:55 PM   #16
bapfreak

They will accept both. And with ammo prices you will want to practice with a 5rd magazine.
Old December 7, 2009, 01:29 PM   #17
gregv

Ruger AC556

Does anyone know if a version of the Ruger AC556 exists that has a Steel or metal body similar to the one used by the A-Team? If so any idea where i can buy such a weapon? I have seen several versions of it and they all seem to have a wooden frame.
Old December 7, 2009, 02:28 PM   #18
FiveForSure

Greg, the guns used by the A-Team were actually factory folder Mini-14's:

They were not the full-auto AC556, they just pulled the triggers real fast with a rapid-fire sound effect.