The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 28, 2009, 11:49 AM   #1
rodwhaincamo

Best deer blinds

I've used many blinds in the few years I've been hunting. Everything from some redneck thrown together scraps to plastic/aluminum store bought to custom built. Custom seems the way to go since it can be tailored to your height and made the way you feel it ought to be. Weight and durability are key as I'd like to be able to set up alone and want it to last. Tree stands definately work well, and I'm not far off of the evolution from monkeys. But I just like a box stand since it protects from the elements, can be heated, offers more flexibility, and offers better concealment. Definately has to be carpeted. I've helped with a couple, and found I like plexiglass removeable windows made to slide in a frame. And I've considered a hasp so it can be locked while I'm gone. Seen may too many people abuse other's blinds. To reduce weight I keep thinking of 1/8-1/4" plywood for all but the floor with 2x2s for the wall/ceiling frame, with 1/2-3/4" plywood floor and 2x4 framing. I figure I can use bolts to secure the bottom half to the top so it can be taken apart to more easily maneuver it by myself. Anyone have any cheap and easy tips especially where the legs are concerned? I'd like for it to be multilevel capable. Sometimes it seems ground level is better when in thick brush, and at others getting above the brush offers a lot.
Old October 28, 2009, 12:54 PM   #2
longranger

I bought an Ameristep "Bone Collector" and have never had more opportunities to shoot at more animals with anything else. It is so good I get birds trying to land on it.
My only dislike is securing it so the wind won't blow it away.I've had a couple of mornings where the blind was not where I left it after staking. I have added loops to the tabs and bigger stakes so far so good.Once you learn the deployment method it is a sweet blind..
I have killed 3 deer and a turkey from it since Sept. 12th.
Old October 28, 2009, 03:20 PM   #3
UniversalFrost

use the gorilla gear fast strike blind

works for running and gunning and throwing up a blind in a hurry on days or areas where you see deer moving in and don't have a stand or better blind setup in . also good for setting up and taking down each day you hunt in public areas where the blinds could grow legs and walk away when not being watched.

I have hunted from a primos ground max predator den blind and loved it and will be hopefully getting one under the christmas tree this winter (if the wife sees the 4 cabelas catalogs laying around with the page on top and the blind circled, but most likely i will get more ties and worthless pull over pink or purple sweaters )..

also, i won a double bull blind a few years back, was big, bulky and heavy, but did provide great cover. stupid illegal immigrants destroyed it one night after I left it out. luckily i got them on one of my trail cams and borer patrol caught them the next week (had showed the trail cam pics to my neighbor who is BP and he had been the processing officer on teh bust that caught them and he recognized them instantly)

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Last edited by UniversalFrost; October 28, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old October 28, 2009, 04:13 PM   #4
James R. Burke

The pop open ones are great, there are lots of good ones out there. Spend the money get a good one, and your set for along time. I bought one about ten years ago. When I set it up it is there for the whole season. I tie it down, and stake it really good. Never had a problem. I got tired of building them every year etc.
Old October 28, 2009, 05:49 PM   #5
rodwhaincamo

Do any of these pop up blinds have steady bracing to plant the forend and my trigger arm on inside? I'm not very steady otherwise.
Old October 28, 2009, 08:38 PM   #6
stolivar

suggestion

use shooting sticks

steve
Old October 28, 2009, 08:43 PM   #7
fisherman66

I get a kick out of building a ground blind out of natural material. I'm not the most handy guy around, but it feels good to break a sweat and use what Mother Nature provides. Just don't call me a tree hugger.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:39 AM   #8
rodwhaincamo

I often have a spot where I can shoot across fields, and have found that I wobble too much with only a firm rest for the forend. When I can plant my trigger arm on something I'm as steady as a rock and feel comfortable with long shots. Otherwise I feel 150 yds would be about my max range and I'd have to aim for the vitals. I found that center neck shots will pick 'em up and throw 'em down dead. And it gives me a little more satisfaction in that it's a bit harder. So a firm rest for my forend and arm is a must. I'd be all over a pop up if it had something like that!
Fisherman: I kinda like the natural stuff too. I've only done it once though as the blind I had to use had too many blind spots. I'm a little concerned with snagging on my nature blind though, and they aren't rain proof nor are they very comfortable.
Old October 30, 2009, 06:26 PM   #9
James R. Burke

Your are right on building a ground blind. I went to the pop up, but my wife her first year made a ground blind. It was really nice, just from dead stuff in the woods. Looked like a small log hut. Of course it had a womans touch to it. I guess the shooting sticks would be the best like the prior post said. Pretty hard to use them were we hunt. It is mostly off hand, but the range is short. For any distance I do need something now. Just can not stop that age from creeping up on me.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:39 PM   #10
zahnzieh

How do you guys shoot arrows/shotgun/rifle through thos pop-up blinds? I have wondered about those special mesh windows - I wouldnt shoot an arrow through them much less a firearm. Also, very claustrophobic "tunnel-vision" effect. my 2 cents
Old October 31, 2009, 06:51 PM   #11
UniversalFrost

shoot thru mesh is fine for guns and fixed broadheads. if the angle is too great it could deflect the bh, but that is only in extreme instances. some folks have used mechanical bh's (rages) with success, but it is dicey and always the chance of the mechanical bh deploying on contact with the mesh.

on the gorilla blind i have it just has windows and black interior. i leave the windows unzipped and just don't move that much. i have had deer walk within 3 feet of my blind and not notice me and I even drew back on a nice muley in august from my blind at 10 yards staring right at me and he didn't even notice me, but I didn't shoot because he just wasn't the buck I was after and let him live another year to grow and get bigger.

on the predator den, if you are using high power scopes and have them on the max setting you will want to not use the shoot thru mesh. it was just too blurry for me and I just pulled mesh down and no problems.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green