The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 3, 2009, 10:43 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Bad ju-ju and a big fine if you get caught.
Legal in florida... Heck my walmart even sells FMJ hunting rounds.
Why is it "bad ju-ju"? They are a quite decent round...
Brent
Old November 3, 2009, 10:59 PM   #27
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogdogs
Legal in florida... Heck my walmart even sells FMJ hunting rounds.
Why is it "bad ju-ju"? They are a quite decent round...
Brent, no disrespect, but FMJ is not legal in FL for Deer or any other game animal. See regs below from the FL wildlife site.

http://myfwc.com/docs/RecreationActi...nsHandBook.pdf

The relevant part - sorry for the poor cut/paste:

Quote:
Prohibited methods and equipment for taking game
Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having ■ magazine capacities of
more than five rounds
■ Nonexpanding full metal case (military ball) ammunition for
taking deer
■ Firearms using rimfire cartridges for taking deer
■ Rifles or pistols for taking migratory game birds
■ Fully automatic or silencer-equipped firearm
FMJ is indeed a fine round, but not legal for hunting game animals in any state where I have ever lived. FL, GA, NC, all require expanding bullets for game animals.

FMJ is legal for non-game nuisance animals, such as wild hogs, and is a preferred round in some places for them.
Old November 3, 2009, 11:08 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My mistake... I am familiar with FMJHP so I guess that is an "expanding" projectile.
Brent
Old November 3, 2009, 11:36 PM   #29
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
My mistake... I am familiar with FMJHP so I guess that is an "expanding" projectile.
Yes sir, perfectly legal, only non-expanding bullets are prohibited. The reason being that FMJ leaves a caliber sized hole (with some wounding effects) that typically leaves animals wounded, hard to track, and dying a slow death without being recovered.
Old November 6, 2009, 07:08 PM   #30
jammin1237

Dr. Strangelove... if you must know, they were mil surp hollow points, they were available once upon a time, ( a metal ammo box chock full of it)...

here in the great republic of Wisconsin fmj is not legal to hunt with, and nor would i ever... i prefer expanding bullets myself, while hunting... shooting paper is a different story...
Old November 7, 2009, 12:55 PM   #31
2rugers

Where? West texas, January 2007.

What? Javaleena

What with? Winchester trapper 44 mag. tang safety.

Who? Me, wife and girlfriend.

Story?

All three of us were using leveractions, mine was the trapper described, wifes was a Marlin 1894cp .357 mag. and girlfriends was Winchester
30/30.

Long story short, I had loaded all three guns that morning and when my turn came up I had been so busy making sure that their guns were loaded and ready, mine was not.
I had loaded the tube but not jacked the lever.
So big boar javvy gives me the perfect shot......and click!

All on video and all very embarrasing to say the least.
Old November 7, 2009, 07:10 PM   #32
lockedcj7

Your wife let you take your girlfriend on a hunt?!?!? I want a marriage like that! My wife won't even let me have a girlfriend.
Old November 7, 2009, 08:05 PM   #33
teeroux

Quote:
Not to be the hunting police, but surely you weren't shooting deer with FMJ surplus? Bad ju-ju and a big fine if you get caught.
Not in my parts.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/regulations/

Methods of taking deer

Quote:
It is illegal to hunt or shoot deer with firearms smaller than .22 caliber center-fire or a shotgun loaded with anything other than buckshot or rifled slug. Handguns may be used for hunting.
Thats it nothing on bullet type for rifle.

And here is general regs for bird and quadrupeds

Quote:
Use of a longbow (including com-pound bow and crossbow) and arrow or a shotgun not larger than a 10 gauge fired from the shoulder without a rest shall be legal for taking all resident game birds and quadrupeds. Also, the use of a handgun, rifle and falconry (special permit required) shall be legal for taking all game species
EXCEPT
turkey. It shall be illegal to hunt or take squirrel or rabbits at any time with a breech-loaded rifle or handgun larger than a .22 caliber rimfire or a primitive firearm larger than a .36 caliber.
again nothing on bullet type.

Back to topic I regulary get dud primers on Monarch 7.63x39.
Old November 9, 2009, 07:34 AM   #34
J A

Yep

On two different occasions. Once while coyote calling I was in a fence row and was just starting a call series and I spot a coyote way, way out in front coming toward me. I flip off the safety and start to wait. I then notice a coyote coming from my hard right about 30 yds away. It had not made me yet so I eased the gun over and dropped it. I hurriedly work the bolt (as in short stroke) and scan for the first coyote. Surprisingly it is still workng it's way to me. I wait until it is about 50 yds. out, put the cross hairs on it's chest and bark it to a stop. Click! I had worked the bolt so fast after the first coyte that I did not get the empty ejected and dropped the hammer on a fired round. I worked the bolt again but the coyote had made the brush by then. No double that day.

The other occasion was group hunting many years ago during shotgun deer season. The previous day's hunt had ended in sleet and snow. I so tired after the days hunt that I did not take the time to properly dry the action of my pump shotgun. I assumed taking it out of the case was good enough to dry it out.
This day's hunt dawned bitterly cold and very windy. I was elected to be a blocker because of the cold. I was dropped off on a fence line at the end of a draw. I jumped over the fence and went to load my gun. The action had frozen open by that time. I could not get the bolt to close no matter what I tried. As luck would have it several deer came right down the draw I was on and trotted right past me. One of the other hunters was in sight of me and came over after and asked why I did not shoot. Needless to say I was the butt of many jokes the rest of the day.