The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 6, 2009, 11:31 PM   #51
laytonj1

Quote:
Jim, I gotta ask?

These are coming into your shop or something right? Their like,....... not all yours.......
No. Not my guns. I've never blown one up. And if I did, by my own fault, I would not post it on the internet for the world to see.

Jim
Old November 7, 2009, 12:37 AM   #52
smleno1mkIII

HOLY CRAP!!! must have been one of those idiot hillbilly handloaders that thinks oh I can make my 357 shoot with the power of a 44mag just fill the case all the way up with uniuqe I once overheard someone say those exact words in sportsman's warehouse a few years back yeah I told him to go right on ahead and blow yourself up idiot. I taught myself how to reload and I have been doing it for over 6 years now without a single mishap. God its called reading the book all the way through and listening to all the warnings people. gp 100 factory load YFR when pigs fly oh s@#$ swin flu hahaha

Last edited by smleno1mkIII; November 7, 2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old November 7, 2009, 02:36 AM   #53
smleno1mkIII

factory load bbbbBS
Old November 7, 2009, 03:17 PM   #54
TRX

A friend blew the topstrap off a Taurus .44 with PMC ammunition. Taurus replaced the revolver and PMC gave him a whole case of ammo in exchange for what was left of the box he'd been shooting from.

He never heard back from the companies, and it wasn't readily apparent whether the gun had failed or the ammo was out of spec.

I don't blame either manufacturer for acting swiftly to avoid a lawsuit, but it would have been nice to know where the problem was.
Old November 7, 2009, 05:35 PM   #55
Piper Cub

Has to be a Taurus
Old November 13, 2009, 01:04 AM   #56
laytonj1

Quote:
I don't blame either manufacturer for acting swiftly to avoid a lawsuit, but it would have been nice to know where the problem was.
When a topstrap is blown off and / or cylinder grenades it is almost certainly from an overloaded round.

Jim
Old November 14, 2009, 04:36 PM   #57
m.p.driver

Not a kaboom but a disturbing Colt story.They were bringing out the magnum carry and member at our range was testing one for an article.Not one to pass up a free chance to shoot, myself,my wife,and a friend all took turns.I shot six only got two on the paper and noticed that as i opened the cylinder it was binding. I attributed the 2 out of 6 to the front sight being cocked to one side.Wife and friend did worse and as firearm instructors i started questioning their shooting abilities.Couldnt get the cylinder open after the last six,so after looking at it i said i found the problem.I handed it back to the writer,revolver in right hand barrel in left hand.As we were shooting the barrel was unscrewing and you could take it apart by finger pressure.As much as i wanted one i passed on the magnum carry and havent bought a Colt since.
I think my 1909,1917's,and Official Police Positives must have been made in better times.
Old November 14, 2009, 05:20 PM   #58
hickstick_10

+1 on the pmc ammo

I bought some 44 pmc ammo and it was the wickedest hardest kicking stuff i ever shot, this was before i got into handloading, but i was suspicious since the jacketed hollow points were expanding immensly and the cartidges were sticking
Old November 14, 2009, 05:38 PM   #59
guy sajer

Customer brought this one in . He figured Ruger should give him a new one . They did offer to sell him one below wholesale .

Please visit Olde English Outfitters

RIP John Forsyth