The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 29, 2009, 03:12 PM   #1
firme67

Parker-Hale Rifle?

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site so if I ask this in the wrong section I apologize.

I have a Parker-Hale rifle that was given to me by my father. It is a 7mm Rem. Mag. It is a very accurate gun and I enjoy shooting it very much. I have talked to a few people and they say that Parker-Hale's are "quality" rifles. What does that mean?????????? I have searched the internet and there is very little info on them since the company no longer exists.

My question is this....How good of rifles are Parker-Hales, and what would one like mine be worth? I do not want to get rid of this rifle I was just curious if they were FAIR...GOOD...or EXCELLENT rifles. Are they better or worse than the common brands I am used to like Savage, Ruger, Winchester, Remington, Browning or Weatherby? How does Parker-Hale rank? I am guessing that my dad bought it sometime in the 1970's. It is excellent condition.

Here is some additional info: on the barrel is stamped "Parker-Hale Ltd. Birmingham England" then on another part of the barrel is stamped "Importer Jana Denver Colo." "BNP" is stamped on the barrel and the chamber. It has a Weaver 4x scope.

Like I said, I don't want to get rid of this rifle, I am just curious to the quality and what it might be worth. Any input is appreciated.
Old October 29, 2009, 04:46 PM   #2
taylorce1

I would think $350-450 would be a reasonable range depending on condition, I have two one in .243 and .270 Win. One is from Midland England the other from Birmingham. Only the Midland .243 was imported by Jana of Denver. Both of mine shoot great as well and they are both solid hunting rifles. My Midland model just isn't as good as my Parker Hale 1200 I have in .270 Win. The differences I noticed between these two models is the bolt throw is much smoother and the factory trigger is much better on the 1200. I have replaced the trigger several years ago on the .243 to a Timney. My 1200 came with factory iron sights where my Midland model didn't. There is a recoil pad on the 1200 but I don't know if that was original, and basket weave checkering on the Monte Carlo style stock.

They are just a commercial Mauser 98 action that Parker Hale imported and then put together with their name on it from what I've been able to find out about them. Kind of similar to what Charles Daly and Remington did with the Zastava actions. They are not great collector rifles but very serviceable hunting rifles.

Last edited by taylorce1; October 29, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:01 PM   #3
kiwi56

Parker Hale

As has been stated they are a commercial Mauser 98 action but earlier Parker Hales were based on the Lee Enfield soon after WW2. The Mauser 98 action is a good strong action and many commercial variants have made excellent target rifles. There are plenty of after market parts such as the timney triggers to give them more of the feel of a modern rifle, while they may not have much collector value it is worth hanging on to if it is a good shooter. I had one a few years ago chambered in 303 British and wish I had never sold it.
Later Parker Hale Mauser rifles (M85 & M86) were used as sniper rifles in a lot of the British commonwealth countries including Australia and NewZealand.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:29 PM   #4
firme67

Thanks for the replies. I knew it wasn't probably a real novelty item. I think it is odd that there is not a model # or anything to describe the gun anywhere on it. That doesn't matter though...because it shoots great and I really like the gun.

Any other info is appreciated.
Old October 30, 2009, 12:29 AM   #5
Scorch

There are several models of Parker-Hale rifles. Commercial Mauser 98 controlled round feed actions (some made in Spain at La Coruna, some made in England by BSA, some made in Yugoslavia by Zastava), and push-feed actions (marked as being made in England). They are all of fair quality, not great quality, but are typically well polished and finished. Market value is right around $350 for any one of them, but the push-feed rifles are hard to find parts for.
Taylor Machine
Old October 30, 2009, 07:02 AM   #6
GeauxTide

I've had two of the Yugo CF actions with ER Shaw barrels in 6.5-06 and .280. Both shoot under an inch and I've been extremely pleased.
Old October 30, 2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Tikirocker

Kiwi has touched the bases I would have touched on so I won't bother going over that old ground. The Parker Hale Enfields are the ducks nuts and of superb quality - PH were also engaged in Enfield sniper rifle conversions as well and are considered to be high quality by those who know them.

The Parker Hale name in this part of the world is generally synonymous with class and quality - in the case of the Enfield PH's, I would agree.

Tiki.
Old October 31, 2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Hankster

Parker Hale

Parker Hale rifles were extremely popular here in Canada for years. I own one built on a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 1 action in 303 brit, and two 1200's, one in 30-06 and the other in 300 WM.
The 1200 is your typical Mauser 98 action, polished and blued. The stocks are beautiful on all three.
All my three were made in Birmingham England and all three are very accurate. I have seen the 1200's made in 7mm, 7mm mauser, 308, 30-06, 300 WM, 308 Norma, 243 and 270. If I could get my hands on more, I would definitely consider buying other calibers.
They sell in Canada on the used market for about 575. I handload for all of my. The chambers are nicely cut. I am glad you will hang onto yours.
I will put the 1200 actions second to none. They did have other models as well, such as the 1000 and the Midland. Happy shooting.