The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2009, 04:01 AM   #1
Marlo Manson

Torn between a glock 21 or glock 22?

I just bought a Taurus 24/7 pro DS 40 cal. I really like it so far.

But I have been shooting my brothers glock 22 everytime we go to the range & I love shooting it now.

I am seriously thinking that I wanna buy a glock now. my problem is should I buy a glock 22 like my brothers or should I buy the 21 cuz I am dying to buy a .45.

Now here's where it gets tricky for me. originally I was only gonna buy a .45 unless I could find a great used 1911. but now since I wanna buy a glock, I can't decide whether to buy another .40 cal in the G22, or the .45 G21?

I am wondering about recoil difference between the glock 22 which I love shooting, & the glock 21 in .45 which I have NEVER shot. from what I hear the .40 cal has more recoil?

I need help here, I am seriously having a tough time deciding which would be a better buy. in terms of ammo cost, and availibility?

I have a 9mm S&W with NO safety. I have the Taurus 24/7 pro DS. which has a Safety and Decocker.

Now I am planning on using either of the 2 guns I mentioned above. or possibly 1 of the glocks I decide to purchase, so I have NO idea which will be my carry gun? should I stick with the .40 cal or should I upgrade to the more powerful .45?

I don't really know how too choose between the 2 glocks in regards to what I have, what I wanna or should carry. I need some reliable wisdom & wanted to hear some sound opinions. thanks in advance.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:35 AM   #2
sourdough44

If you want it for CC you need to check out the Glock 23 too.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Bwinkel

You should try the 21 before you make a decision. It's larger than the 22. If you want to carry, the 23 would be a better choice.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Sam06

I have a G21 and I really like them. I shoot it in 3 gun matches and its a very good gun. But its BIG, quite a bit larger than a G22 in all dimensions. I have big hands and its a handful, it is not the most ergonomic of the glocks. My G21(gen1) shoots like a house on fire and I have gotten good with it, but it would not be on my list to buy as a 1st 45ACP gun. The 1911 Platform is such a nice bullet launcher everyone should get one. If you want a 45 ACP I would get a nice Springfield 1911A1.

For a carry gun look at the G27/G26 or a G19/G23 for a little larger sized Glock. They conceal very good and are good shooters. The G27 has a snappy recoil but its a nice little gun and easy to conceal. My Carry gun 90% of the time is a G26. I really like it. Then look into getting a nice 22lr upper for that 1911. You will have everything covered
Old October 29, 2009, 07:10 AM   #5
MTT TL

I found the G22 to be an excellent compromise on size vs. power. It is still large for CC but is a good weapon.
Old October 29, 2009, 07:55 AM   #6
zombieslayer

G22 is a gun I've been taking to the range lately. I love it. You can find good deals on the 22 cause the police used lots of em. Interchangeable mags/barrels give you more versatility with the 22. Unless you want to shoot .45, I'd get the 22. You can shoot 9mm (and I'm told, .357Sig), and switch to .40.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:16 AM   #7
fineredmist

The G21 is a suprising soft shooting gun but it would be a problem to CC due to it's size. For CC i would suggest you look into the G23 or the G30. The G30 is also very pleasant to shoot without any real snap.
Old October 29, 2009, 10:05 AM   #8
mrclean77

JMH(umble)O

the 21's recoil is mroe of a 'push'

whereas, the 22's recoild is more of a 'snap'/'pop'

way before I had shot one, I had read the recoil being labeled as "snappy" and once I shot it, I wouldn't think of a more accurate description/word

I am WAY better w/my 21, but the .40 is very interesting to me
Old October 29, 2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Marlo Manson

Thanx for all the replies, based on what I've heard so far, I think you guys have talked me out of the 21. based on what "sam06" mentioned about having big hands. lol. I've got pretty small hands.

although I have shot the 22 enough to know that I love the feel of it. I will hold a couple of the others mentioned, definitely the 23. My other brother has a 27 and I just don't like the feel of that in my hands @ all, the grip was too thick in my hand, felt like the whole time holding it it felt like I was trying my hardest too reach the trigger. lol. it wasn't really that bad, but from holding & shooting the 22, I know I don't like the 27 @ all.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:41 AM   #10
NSO_w/_SIG

You know they make a G21SF too that is a bit thinner.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:42 AM   #11
Hunter04

Are you set on a glock? Look at springfield xd, i like the way shoots more than the glock.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:47 AM   #12
azredhawk44

Used to own a G21.

Way too big to carry.

It was also very light when empty and very heavy when full. The "feel" of the gun was very different for shot #1 compared to shot #13 as a result of that.

I ended up selling it. I've got a Colt LW Commander (8rds) and a Colt 1991 full size (8rds). Both are actually heavier guns than the Glock 21, but I carry either of them much more easily due to the contours, thinness of the slide and magazine well, length of the grip and lack of a blocky striker system on the back of the gun.

They shoot and feel more consistent from shot 1 to shot 8 and give me better accuracy and less shooting fatigue than a Glock. On a 200 round shooting day I would find myself falling apart with the glock, but I'm just fine with the 1911 and 200 rounds.
Old October 29, 2009, 12:40 PM   #13
mrclean77

I still like my G21SF very much, but this:

Quote:
It was also very light when empty and very heavy when full. The "feel" of the gun was very different for shot #1 compared to shot #13 as a result of that.
is a very real issue and should not be overlooked

lots of folks say 'try before you buy' ---- I have no ranges near me (taht I am aware of) that rent, so I am not able to do this, but if I could, I most certainly would
Old October 29, 2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Marlo Manson

Quote:
I just bought a Taurus 24/7 pro DS 40 cal. I really like it so far.
1st of all what are your guys opinion of the Taurus in regards to the glock?

Would any of you take the taurus over the glock 22. the Taurus is similar in size to the glock 22. What I am essentially trying to decide is whether or not I should keep my taurus and find another caliber to buy my glock in?

I am not a rich or well off person, I am a scrappy too do kind of person right now. :hick: I take what I can get @ the best price. meaning all of my guns are of the used variety, which means I can't really afford to buy multiple guns of the same caliber. I have a .25 a 9mm & a .40 cal. my next gun was supposed to be a .45 or 44 magnum. so I don't / can't buy the same caliber as I already have, cuz there's NO telling when I will be able to buy another gun in a different caliber.

My hands being small I don't know if the .45 cal in glock is a good choice for me now? I will have to checkout the 21sf but I not sure about CC with that model either?

Or would you guys say sell the Taurus for the glock 22 or 23 & wait to find a mint 1911? errrr. decisions

Last edited by Marlo Manson; October 29, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:48 PM   #15
XD9GUY

Glock 21 vs 22

There are a couple of things to consider when comparing these 2 cal's.
Even though there are pro's and con's for both, one of the first to consider is availability of ammo. In my area there is plenty of .40 cal, but you could spend a day searching for a box of .45's and if you do find one, the price will be double that of the .40 cal. That being said if you want to actually shoot this gun occasionally, go with the .40. If you just want to carry and rarely shoot, but want plenty of knock down power, go with the 45.
Then there are some people who just want to say "Yea, I carry a 45"
Old October 30, 2009, 10:57 PM   #16
Dabull

I prefer the feel of my 24/7 to my Glock, but if you prefer shooting your brother's Glock to your 24/7, then make the switch. As others have said, you can get a used Glock 22 cheap...I've seen police trades recently for $330.

If you are military or a first responder, you can get one new for $399 through a Glock LE dealer.

Regarding the Glock 21, it is almost too big for my hands. When I handled the 21SF, I did not find it to be much different.
Old October 31, 2009, 12:24 AM   #17
sks

If you want a .45 acp and a Glock for concealed carry, why not try the G36? It is a single stack .45acp slim and very concealable. Mag capacity of 6+1.

I would think the G21 and G22 are going to be difficult to conceal and HEAVY fully loaded. If you are not going to conceal carry this one then I would go with the G21. I have a .40 and the recoil is a bit more snappy than the .45 acp which is more of a bump than a snap. Either way you'll be happy with the Glock.

Cabela's here just had the police trade in G22s for $349 so I bought one. Came with three high capacity mags too!
Old October 31, 2009, 12:37 AM   #18
sgray

Since you can't have too many, get the Glock 38

Why "compromise"? Go with the Glock model 38, which is the midsize in 45GAP. Same ballistics as 45ACP, same size as the Model 22. Then , for now, you have a good carry piece in a highly effective cartridge. Then you can get a 1911 later, and then get a Glock 32 (midsize 357 sig) and get a model 22 barrel and mags, then you have them all!!!!!

I enjoy the Glock, I have the Model 17, 36, and 32 (with 22 barrel and mags). Night sights on all. Glocak will add them for a very reasonable price, even after purchase.
Old October 31, 2009, 01:37 AM   #19
Marlo Manson

Thanx everybody. I am loving all the feedback I am seriously leaning towards the 22 or maybe 23 depends on how it feels in my hands & I test the feel for carrying it in a holster. I am strongly influenced by some ballistic info I read, & the fact that so many .45 faithful have given up and switched too .40 cal because of the .45 ammo shortage,cost/box as opposed to the plentiful supply of .40 all the time for allot less/box. and I can always buy a 1911 later on down the road.

I can buy a old police g22 for roughly 3 to 4 hundred used. so I am leaning towards doing that.

About those ballistic reports I read the 1 shot stop power of a .40 was only 4 hundreths of one % less than that of a .45 the .45's 1 shot, stop power was like 87.8something % & the .40 was 87.4something % based on that, and the shortage of .45 ammo the .40 would be the smarter choice I think.

p.s. I know that ballistics test was only one test, I can't find the source of where I read it, I don't know who conducted it, I don't the conditions of when these shots were taken, the condition outside, clothing worn by the subject who was shot, or the NUMBER of incidents this report was based off of, or the (% of mistake points that would influence the #'s higher or lower that factored into the result of the test that I just spoke of.) matter of fact I myself, might have jumbled the #'s because I can't find the report again & I am only speaking in term of memory, but they were NOT significantly higher for the .45 opposed to that of the .40.

I think it was a Detroit Police ballistics test/report comparing the stopping power of several calibers from the .380 all the way to up to the .45. somebody might know the test I am refering to & be able to back me or provide the link of the said report.

Last edited by Marlo Manson; October 31, 2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old October 31, 2009, 10:55 AM   #20
Dabull

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22.html or http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22_PD_marked.html

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_21.html
Old October 31, 2009, 11:33 AM   #21
ecd1211

When I shopped for a new house gun a few years back, I was almost convinced that I wanted a G21, but after handling one, decided it just didn't fit my hand well. I tried the G22 and it felt much better and that's what I went with. Had the G21SF been available at the time, I might have made a different decision.
Old October 31, 2009, 11:57 AM   #22
sks

Quote:
I am strongly influenced by some ballistic info I read, & the fact that so many .45 faithful have given up and switched too .40 cal because of the .45 ammo shortage,cost/box as opposed to the plentiful supply of .40 all the time for allot less/box. and I can always buy a 1911 later on down the road.
Whatever weapon/caliber you chose is fine but I would disagree with your statement above. I don't know of any .45 faithful who have switched to the .40. While I have a .40 and like it, I have not switched nor stopped shooting my .45s. There is no shortage of .45 acp ammo that I'm aware of and the price difference between .40 and .45 is minimal if any.
Old October 31, 2009, 01:22 PM   #23
Marlo Manson

Thanx for the links Dabull that maybe the best price I am gonna find them for. I will see how much it comes too with shipping & FLL pickup, it might end up being the same price as I can find locally. if the ones in the links are still cheaper after shipping & fee's I will most def. do that.

To touch on what you posted ecd1211 I am seriously considering the glock for CC. so I will checkout the 21sf but I've heard there's not to much difference from the 21sf & the 21. for carry purposes the majority suggests I go with the 22 or 23 (I have small hands) NOT BURGERKING GUY SMALL, but small.

I don't know what to tell you sks I saw a **** load of .45 owners posting in a thread proclaiming that they've switched back to a .40 or have given the .40 a try because of the .45 ammo drought. I see your in MO. well where I am in Detroit,Mi 9mm & .45 are hardly on the shelf anymore, if they are the .45 is too expensive & the 9mm gets snatched up as soon as it hits the shelves. If I happen to find the Thread / articles supporting my statement I will surely post them for you & all too see. besides I am not speaking blindly in an attempt to sound smart or to support my leaning towards a .40 cal. & CC also factors into my decision making as well.
Old October 31, 2009, 04:12 PM   #24
MTT TL

Quote:
There is no shortage of .45 acp ammo that I'm aware of and the price difference between .40 and .45 is minimal if any.
Old November 1, 2009, 07:16 AM   #25
#18indycolts

Quote:
If you want a .45 acp and a Glock for concealed carry, why not try the G36? It is a single stack .45acp slim and very concealable.
or go with the 39 .45gap, same frame size as the 26. Much smaller than the 36.