The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 28, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Quick Draw

New To The Sport

Hey guys, My name is Jason. I am new to the site and am looking to get into competitive handgun shooting. I'm 31 and have been shooting since I could walk, I have competed all my life but only in trap and skeet shooting. I plan to start shooting in USPSA comps shortly. I was just looking for any advice you could offer a new comer to the sport? I plan on getting a Para to compete with but am a little unsure on the model that would be best. Any help would be great..thanks
Old October 29, 2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Field

you look at the different divisions you can compete in?

which one would you like best?

you watch any videos?

http://www.youtube.com/user/FieldBoy111
Old October 29, 2009, 07:05 AM   #3
lmccrock

You might pick the division, then the gun. A "Para" could go into different divisions depending on the model.

Regardless, check out the Brian Enos forums, which also has BEginners Forums, near the top.

Lee
Old October 29, 2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Ronbert

Shoot what you already own to learn about the sport. THEN upgrade your equipment.

When I was shooting IPSC I often out-scored guys who'd invested heavily in their equipment instead of practicing shooting. You can go a LONG way using stock equipment. I shot my SA 1911 from a nylon Uncle Mike's holster.

No matter how fancy your gun, when you are at the line for the very first time when the start buzzer goes off- you'll go blind and your brain will quit :-)
Might as well get that out of the way before spending a lot of $$ :-)
Old October 29, 2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Quick Draw

Thanks for the help guys...im looking over all the divisions right now. Right now I actually dont own any handguns...just have a small fortune invested in shotguns and rifles. Im going to take your advise and pick a division and then go from there. Thanks again