The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 28, 2009, 03:31 PM   #1
walnut1704

Smith & Wesson rear sight assembly

I have an older Model 66-2 (1983 I believe) that's missing the entire rear sight assembly. It's the old style with the square tang.

These are hard to find. Brownell's told me I need a ".146" (which they don't have). They do have a ".160" in the "old style" for the 586/686. They also list other sizes for the Mod. 17, 15, etc.

Are these really different for each K-frame? Or is it just the blade that's different? What does that measuremnt refer too?

If anybody has a source for either an original or replacement (such as a Millett) I'd appreciate any information. I'm at my wit's end and about to drill it for a red dot, but I'd like to keep it old school, like me.
Old October 28, 2009, 03:52 PM   #2
carguychris

The measurement simply refers to the height of the rear sight blade. Using the general rule-of-thumb, you move the rear sight in the direction you want the POI to move; therefore, a taller rear sight blade will move the POI upwards.

S&W determines which front and rear sight combination will result in the revolver shooting to POA at an assumed range (usually 10-25yds) using an assumed "usual" cartridge load, while still allowing the shooter to adjust the POI within a reasonable range. A too-tall rear sight blade will make your revolver shoot too high; a too-short rear sight blade will make it shoot too low unless the elevation nut is cranked upwards to an unreasonable degree. If you loosen the elevation nut too far, the sight base will spring off, usually resulting in the loss of the nut and/or washer in the process.

The sight blades are relatively easy to replace once you have the base you need. AFAIK all modern (i.e. postwar) K/L/N frame sight assemblies use the same basic blades. S&W offers 0.126", 0.146", 0.160", and 0.196" blades with and without white outlines. You need the "kit" including the windage screw and nut because you must break off the screw inside the nut to remove the blade. I recommend the S&W installation tool kit, which consists of the special 2-prong screwdriver attachment you need to install the nut, and a punch to stake the screw to the nut once the blade is in place. I also recommend buying a spare sight plunger and spring, since these parts are absolutely miniscule and tend to go flying when the screw is removed. I recommend performing disassembly inside a plastic Ziploc bag to contain them.

In addition to Brownell's, you can get the parts here:

http://www.intlmidway.com/intl/ebrow...+***+15917+***

And here:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...Id=16204&top=Y
Old October 28, 2009, 06:42 PM   #3
spacecoast

I bought the kit for my 686 directly from S&W, it was about a buck less than Brownell's (didn't compare shipping) and showed up a few days later.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...arkForDelete=0

The tools are helpful, I'm sure, but not mandatory - with Carguychris's assistance I managed to finish setting the windage screw end with a punch

Last edited by spacecoast; October 28, 2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: URL fix
Old October 28, 2009, 09:36 PM   #4
walnut1704

Thanks

I'll order one and order a .146 blade. Once upon a time I replaced a sight blade. I don't recall it being a big deal but I think I had to make a tool.

Thanks for the help.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:51 PM   #5
glock199mm

call smith and wesson i just got a old syle n frame rear sight assembly from them for $63 dollars shipped