The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 23, 2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

Ultra Bore Coat

Anyone read the latest American Rifleman? The article "A Clean Barrel" p. 66 mentions this product "Ultra Bore Coat". I have never heard of this stuff before, or any product like it. It apparently binds to your barrel .25 microns thick and dramatically stops or reduces jacket fouling and reduces cleaning to only 6 patches on even the most hard to clean barrels. It also says in handguns you can shoot lead/jacket interchangeably.

Anyone use this stuff before? Gimmick? Does it work?

Would you put it in YOUR barrel?
Old October 23, 2009, 11:30 AM   #2
longranger

Wonder how "unlike" it is to moly ?
Old October 23, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3
rattletrap1970

Was this a product that you apply yourself ? I find it hard to believe that any product would do that or for any length of time that wasn't somehow chemically bonded, vapor deposited, or physically made part of the barrel material through some "process". I find most claims like these from ads amount to little more than "Snake oil".
Old October 23, 2009, 12:00 PM   #4
GeauxTide

Did Billy Mays do the ad?

Would be suspicious of it.
Old October 23, 2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Horseman

I don't believe in it. I wouldn't like the fact he mentions you cannot brush the bore or you'll have to reapply it. I'm not having a copper crisis with any of my rifles that would require a miracle cure. Gunslick foaming bore cleaner sit for 15 min., 2 patches hoppes, 2 patches dry....done.
Old October 24, 2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Gregory Gauvin

I agree Horseman. I use Gunslick foaming bore cleaner, and that made copper fouling nightmares turn into piece of cake jobs. But I don't see how brushing the bore will require you to re-apply it, seeing how sending a bullet down there with 60,000 PSI behind it with heat seems a little bit more aggressive. I don't see how this could help a pitted bore either.
Old October 24, 2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Horseman

Quote:
But I don't see how brushing the bore will require you to re-apply it, seeing how sending a bullet down there with 60,000 PSI behind it with heat seems a little bit more aggressive.
I agree. I was surprised to see it needs to be reapplied if you brush the bore. John Barsness mentioned it in the article too.