The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 18, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1
M1A Owner

Need some help selecting an M1A Standard Scope!!

Hello,

I am new to this site and look forward to interacting with everyone. I recently bought a SA SOCOM 16 and love it. I came across a M1A Standard (yesterday) and purchased it too. I'm interested in buying a good scope for my Standard and would like any input. I will be using my Standard at the range and for hunting. Looking to hit targets 100 - 700 yards and will occasionally take a 1000 yard shot. (In the distant future when I get comfortable with it.) I've heard about the Leupold Mark VI line and like them. Just looking for good scope with a fair price.

Any opinions out there? Thanks.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Jimro

Even a fixed 6x scope will do for those ranges, heck a lot of people do it with just the iron sights.

But if you want, the Leupold Mk4 10x scope comes with a bullet drop compensated elevation turret calibrated for m118lr (also known as Federal Gold Medal Match 175 gr or Black Hills Match 175 gr). It's a good scope, we use it on the M21 and M24.

The 3.5-10 Variable Mk4 is one I haven't played with yet, but it is used on the M110. I just don't have the hands on experience to recommend it, but Leupold is a good company.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old October 18, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3
M1A Owner

Thanks

I appreciate the advice. I thought about putting a FX scope on my SOCOM 16, but decided to just keep the iron sights.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:27 AM   #4
beerengineer

nikon monarch

my father in law is in his late sixties. he has two M1A's and was complaining that he couldn't see the target with the iron sights. so he bought a couple of Nikon monarchs. When he said he did that I worried that the optics would ruin the look of the M1A. I was wrong. They look great and now he can see what he's shooting at.