The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 16, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1
flintlock.50

Leupold vs Zeiss?

Any thoughts on Leupold versus Zeiss scopes? If I go with Leupold I'll get the Boone and Crockett Big Game reticle. If Zeiss', it will be the Rapid Z-600 reticle.
Old October 16, 2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Armed Citizen

I've always like leupold for their clarity and abilty to transmit light well
Old October 16, 2009, 08:59 PM   #3
mapsjanhere

If you can afford the Zeiss Dialyt series, no questions, Zeiss. Conquest and the VX-3 or better Leupolds are a question of preference, both good mid range scopes.
Old October 16, 2009, 09:04 PM   #4
wdelack

You certainly couldn't go wrong with either scope. I know for the rapid-z reticle to work properly, you have to match the ballistics of your caliber to a particular power level of the scope.
Old October 17, 2009, 02:30 AM   #5
kiwi56

Leupold vs Zeiss

One look through each of their top of the range scopes, no question about it Zeiss Zeiss Zeiss. Clearer, Brighter and Sharper. Leupold is good FOR MOST Hunters and target shooters but Zeiss is even better.
Old October 17, 2009, 03:05 AM   #6
NWCP

Zeiss glass is excellent. If you can afford a Zeiss scope I'd go for it. The Germans have a long history of manufacturing great optics. Leica makes exceptional optics as well, they are however expensive.
Old October 17, 2009, 06:59 AM   #7
Abel

Zeiss is good glass.
Old October 17, 2009, 07:06 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

When I bought my last scope, it was between Leupold and Zeiss. Out of those two, I thought the Zeiss was a better scope. Of course I ended up with a Nikon Monarch but that's for another thread.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:00 AM   #9
63chuck

The Rapid Z scopes were adopted from Pride Fowler Rapid reticle scopes [ with agreement with pride fowler] I have Zeiss in Z600 on several rifles. However you must use specific power for your caliber. Zeiss info on their web site. The zeiss reticle has the reticle in the 2nd focal plane. that is the reason for specific power setting. [ Zeiss may offer a 1st focal plane model now] The Pride Fowler scope has reticle in 1st focal plane and is accurate at all power settings. as for Leupold, I have many, they are playing catch-up in reticle dept. I have had more problems with Leu. than any other. Paralax problems on the lps scopes they would not address {within their specs.} The glass in Zeiss and Schmidt & bender is superb Zwarovski next. Pride Fowler very good , not like Zeiss , however. Leica has a new scope out, haven't seen them yet. Check out Pride Fowler. Chuck
Old October 17, 2009, 09:45 AM   #10
flintlock.50

The Rapid Z reticle is only available in the Zeiss Conquest models. I don't see that they offer a first focal plane model.
Old October 17, 2009, 09:48 AM   #11
flintlock.50

There is an advantage of having the reticle in the second focal plane. If your ballistics don't match the "design" ballistics for the reticle, you can adjust the point of impact by changing the magnification. That's the issue behind Zeiss' reticle calulator. If your cartridge is faster than the "design" cartridge, you increase the magnification. Likewise, if your cartridge is lots slower than the design cartridge, you decrease the magnification. You can't do that with a first focal plane reticle.
Old October 17, 2009, 10:02 AM   #12
Horseman

It depends a lot on which Leupold. THe VX3 is on par with my Zeiss Conquests optically. The VX3 is also lighter, smaller in similar magnifications, and has smoother adjustments. The eyepiece is also not overly large like the Conquest which gives a little more room for bolt operation with gloves on.

The Zeiss laser etched reticles are better and remain perfect black even in low light.
Old October 17, 2009, 11:18 AM   #13
Tomas204

Leupold USA baby great CS every day their open
Old October 17, 2009, 12:00 PM   #14
Scorch

As others have said, it depends on which Zeiss scope you are comparing to which Leupold scope. If you compare a top-of-the-line Zeiss to a VX1, sure the Zeiss will win, but apples-to-apples they are pretty even.

* Dollar for dollar, I believe Leupold scopes are the best value on the market. VX-3 scopes now on the market seem very clear and sharp, but I haven't used one yet, all mine are older Vari-X III and VX-III scopes. They use very good glass and build a solid scope. And their customer service is second to none, don't sell them short.

As far as the parallax issue described above, Leupold used to make surveying alidades as well as scientific equipment, so I am not sure how the poster could have determined there was a parallax problem the factory could not correct.

* The US-made Zeiss scopes are as good as Leupolds, but a bit clunky. The German-made Zeiss scopes are great but pricey. Customer service for the German-made scopes is very slow, don't know about the US-made scopes.

Zeiss using the Pride-Fowler reticle is a new one on me, ballistic reticles have been around for a long time. I would have to read more about that. The Z600 reticles get very positive reviews, seem to work well.

* The only thing better than either within reason is Swarovski. I tell people don't look through a Swarovski unless they are prepared to pay for one, because after using one, nothing else will do.
Taylor Machine
Old October 17, 2009, 12:08 PM   #15
fisherman66

Scorch is spot on, however I have looked though a Swaro. It was the best glass I have viewed, but not 4 times better.

Conquest to VX-3 is neck and neck (until you look at the weight and size). I don't know about Zeiss guarantee, but Leupold's is the best in the business.
Old October 17, 2009, 12:17 PM   #16
kons

Only German made Zeiss or Zeiss/Hensoldt (the mil ver.). The Zeiss is the reference and the standard to many scope manufacturers; many of them take glass from the Zeiss. The glass quality depended of the scope quality and the needs of each manufacturer.
The top of the line models of the German Zeiss scopes made without any compromises and cost levels.
The Leupold is a good and fair enough for the money that you pay. It is a “cost effective product”, not the top of the line and make many compromises to achieve that.
If you have the money take the G. Zeiss, (if you have top rifle to pair with that scope) otherwise take the Leupold.
Old October 17, 2009, 12:33 PM   #17
63chuck

Flintlock: I shoot Zeiss Diavaris, rapid Z, etc, also shoot Pride Fowler. There is no substitute for practice and absolutely no advantage to a 2nd focal plane scope if you are not familiar with your particular ballistics.It is a lot different when you are sheep hunting in the Alaska range or Wrangells and you are out of breath and have short time and poor rest to make a good shot you must know your bullet. Forget about selecting power ...As for Leu. in my opinion they are mass merchandisers and a great company,I am not satisfied with cust. service. Something approaching Ruger in value, quality. Chuck
Old October 17, 2009, 12:36 PM   #18
63chuck

Scorch: Pride Fowler developed reticles for Zeiss. Zeiss used to credit Pride Fowler on their website. Zeiss also makes mention of scopes with 1st focal plane reticles on their site. Chuck
Old October 17, 2009, 12:59 PM   #19
trooper3385

I have several of both the VXIII and the Conquest. In my opinion, the Zeiss is a little better, as far as the reticle and the clarity. The Leupold is not to far behind, but it's a noticeable difference. As far as the customer service. Leupold is next to none. Absolute best customer service I have seen with any product. I can't speak for the customer service for Zeiss. Never had one break.
Old October 17, 2009, 01:06 PM   #20
trooper3385

Just on a side note. I went to Africa hunting a couple of years ago. I had a VXIII on my gun and my brother in law had a Swarovski on his gun. We had both guns together in a pelican hard case for the trip. My gun was hitting 4 inches to the right when we got there and his was still dead on. Nothing wrong or broke on my scope, just didn't maintain the zero.
Old October 17, 2009, 01:52 PM   #21
James R. Burke

I have zero experince with the Zeiss scopes. I have always went with the Leupold for the quality, price, and warranty. I have a few of them and never had a problem. I new only one person that did on a pistol scope that was about ten years old, and used alot on a 44mag. They gave him a new scope, no questions asked. He also was the second owner of it.
Old October 17, 2009, 06:32 PM   #22
63chuck

Shooters today have many excellent optics to pick from. I made my first sheep hunt to the Yukon in the Pelly Mts. in 1970, I shot a Sako L61 in .264 mag. had B&L 2.5X 8 , no cross hair adjustment , on a Kuharsky base, adjusting cams on the base. It shot dime size 10 shot groups at 200 yds. Boy, I thought I had something. [still have a new B&L scope like it in the box.] Then Kuharsky went away, new scopes came out. Old Lymans and Redfields starting getting replaced. The optics today are great.Every time you jump $300 $400 there is a jump in quality, with the top scopes costing the most. However, there are plenty of excellent scopes at good prices. Stay away from "Price Point" optics. Chuck
Old October 17, 2009, 06:52 PM   #23
RT

I actually looked at both of these scopes last weekend at Outdoor world. I thought the Zeiss had a little more clarity at the longer distance and higher magnification.
Then I tried the Swaro and ended up with a Z3.
Old October 17, 2009, 07:11 PM   #24
.300 Weatherby Mag

All of my stuff has leupolds mounted on them.... I got a great deal on a Zeiss Conquest and decided to buy it since I have experience with their binos... It is heavier than a comparable Leupold.... I will see how it performs once I get it mounted and sorted out...
Old October 17, 2009, 08:00 PM   #25
wdelack

Quote:
The Rapid Z reticle is only available in the Zeiss Conquest models.
The rapid-z is available in the Victory Diavari models as well:

http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5...25754a0052c58c