The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 8, 2009, 03:07 PM   #1
bigdadd'sboys

Weatherby XXII .22Question

I'm in the market for a Weatherby XXII. Can anyone tell me if the Jap, Italian, or German is the best and why. Of course I want the one that might appreciate more.

Last edited by bigdadd'sboys; October 8, 2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: hit wrong key prior to finishing.
Old October 8, 2009, 04:15 PM   #2
hoghunting

Weatherby made two different guns called the XXII. The first one was a semi-auto that I believe was Japanese made, but I'm not sure. The last one is a bolt action .22 that is made by Anschutz.
Old October 8, 2009, 04:39 PM   #3
bigdadd'sboys

Weatherby XXII 22 question

I think early on, the guns were made in Italy (both bolt and auto). I have found several for sale from there. They seem to have less design on the stock. The newer ones seem to be from Japan (both bolt and auto). I've seen several of both from there also. I'm not sure about the German ones, but have seen a few that say they are from Germany. Any help is appreciated.
Old October 8, 2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Jim Watson

So far as I know, the XXII auto came from Italy to start with, then Japan. I know of no XXII auto from Germany. If you want the auto, you will be searching the secondary market, the gun is out of production and has been for some time.

The current XXII bolt action is made for Weatherby by Anschutz. I know of no XXII bolt action from Italy or Japan.
Old October 8, 2009, 05:37 PM   #5
bigdadd'sboys

Weatherby XXII 22 question

You can look on GunAmerica and GunBroker and see several. I'm new to this gun, and if you know more, please let me know.
Old October 8, 2009, 09:21 PM   #6
V.Hunter

Quote:
So far as I know, the XXII auto came from Italy to start with, then Japan. I know of no XXII auto from Germany. If you want the auto, you will be searching the secondary market, the gun is out of production and has been for some time.

The current XXII bolt action is made for Weatherby by Anschutz. I know of no XXII bolt action from Italy or Japan.
Nailed it!

Quote:
I think early on, the guns were made in Italy (both bolt and auto).
The originals were only semi-autos that were made in both Italy and Japan. The originals were not offered in a bolt action configuration.

Quote:
The newer ones seem to be from Japan (both bolt and auto). I've seen several of both from there also. I'm not sure about the German ones, but have seen a few that say they are from Germany. Any help is appreciated.
The only German made XXII is the new (bolt action) venture with Anschutz. There never was a Weatherby XXII bolt action prior to this offering.
Old October 9, 2009, 11:44 AM   #7
22-rimfire

Some of the latest manufactured semi-auto Weatherby's were produced by Mossberg as I recall. I have a Japanese version with tubular mag. I like it. The Italian ones command the highest prices, but I have not heard of any complaints about the various manufacturers. I would choose a Japanese one unless you are buying to collect. The Japanese ones are the most commonly available.

The bolt action Mark XXII is made by Anschutz as has been stated. No other manufacturer has been involved producing that rifle. Fine 22 rifle!

To add some confusion, I believe the new semi-auto is also called the Mark XXII. Never have seen one. They are essentially a customized Ruger 10/22.
Old October 9, 2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Bigfatts

I have a mag fed Jap XXII and I love it. Its the only semi I take squirrel hunting. Its incredibly accurate and reliable. The only weak point I have found on these rifles is the charging handle. Mine broke off while hunting one day. I went to reload and had no way to cock it. I found a steel replacement at Numrich and have had no more problems.