The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 6, 2009, 01:36 PM   #1
themaxx69

help picking a rifle!

I have my choice of a Savage 110e 30-06 or a Golden State Arms R-159 30-06 Mauser Action. Both come with same 3-9x40 scope, think it's a Bushnell. Both roughly same condition. Savage is $240 and GSA is $210. Any thoughts?

Also might be able to get a Remington model 710 Bolt action 30-06 for maybe 230. I figured the 710 would be the best deal, but I don't think I will be able to get it so I was really wondering about the other two.

Thanks.
Old October 6, 2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Doyle

Avoid the 710. If you do a search here, you'll find lots of bad press on them. Of the two remaining, I would base my decision more on condition rather than brand. The Savage 110's are excellent rifles. Of course, the mauser based gun could be great or it could be crap - it has a good heritage (mauser action) but I know nothing of the manufacturer who used that receiver to build the rifle.
Old October 6, 2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Buzzcook

Is Golden State Arms the company that sporterized rifles back in the 60s and 70s?
Are you comparing them to a relatively modern Savage?

It really depends on condition. It also depends on how much work you intend to put into the gun once you buy it.
Old October 6, 2009, 06:15 PM   #4
themaxx69

What kind of work would I need to do other than cleaning?
Old October 6, 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
There is a difference between "need" and "want". Very few serious shooters leave their rifles "as is". It all depends on what you want to do and what your budget is.

Personally, unless the mauser was something super special, I'd go with the Savage.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:11 PM   #6
tyusclan

For the $30 difference in price I'd take the Savage.
Old October 7, 2009, 02:55 AM   #7
Bud Helms
Staff

Quote:
Avoid the 710. If you do a search here, you'll find lots of bad press on them.
No mention of a "710" in the opening post.
Old October 7, 2009, 12:46 PM   #8
Buzzcook

Quote:
No mention of a "710" in the opening post.
Quote:
might be able to get a Remington model 710 Bolt action 30-06 for maybe 230.
It was an aside, but it was there.

Quote:
Some people buy a gun to use right out of the box. Others will take the gun apart and rebuild the rifle keeping only the parts they want.

In the latter group the Mauser action might be more valuable to them than the whole rifle.

There are a bunch of things you can do to make a rifle more accurate. From free floating the barrel to replacing the trigger and beyond.

As far as "need", well if the rifles in good shape just finding the ammo it likes best is the only "need" after cleaning.
Old October 7, 2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Just 2 copper coins worth of opinion but experience with the Savage 110 would move me towards that gun for first choice. The seller would have to show me some reason why the Golden State or Remington was superior in an appreciable way.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Tags
30-06 , gloden , gsa , savage