The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 5, 2009, 08:05 PM   #1
bswiv

Old guys & Chiquita #8......

Not as big as the one Louann dove in on but no slouch. 12' 9" and a solid 600+ pounds. Caught him not but 3 or 4 hundred yards from where we caught the one I posted with the missing tail. While this one is longer, thanks to the tail being there, the other one was a little heavier.

Hung him, and I say "him" because all of them this big are male, shortly after sunrise Sunday. He pulled the boat about for a while before we got a harpoon in him.......and then he pulled the boat about some more.

Finally got a second harpoon in him, hauled him to the surface and hit him with the bangstick. He rolled up and looked to be done. We set about getting the haul rope situated in his mouth before we taped his jaws. Need that haul rope to get them over the side when they are big.

So I'm pushing the rope down INSIDE his jaws with the harpoon shaft when he jerks about and snatches the harpoon out of my hand. Wish I had a video of it. He had that pole, you could see about 3 feet of it sticking up out of the water, and every few seconds it would shudder as he clamped down harder on it.

We decided we needed more bullets.................

Old October 5, 2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Daryl

Dang man, this stuff never ceases to amaze me.

Awesome!

Daryl
Old October 5, 2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Swampghost

Mmmmmm! Eat more gator!