The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 5, 2009, 06:12 PM   #1
flyingcubby

EAA Bounty Hunter

Has anyone had any experience with European American Armory single action wepons?? They seem to look like a knock-off off of a Ruger.. Thanks
Old October 6, 2009, 02:17 AM   #2
Prince55

Paco Kelly spoke pretty well of them in an article a couple of years ago
on the Gun Blast . com site with Jeff Quinn.
Old October 6, 2009, 04:07 AM   #3
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Jeff Quinn also has a article about the most recent Charter Arms guns, he loves them. And from personal experience, they are crap. You have to be careful about gun writers. If they are receiving a firearm straight from the manufacturer, they are going to get the cream of the crop. Even if a gun is generally garbage, the one they get to review will not be.

User reviews are a much better indicator of true quality.
Old October 6, 2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Mark Milton

Jeff Quinn is a pretty straight shooter and he is not afraid to call a spade a spade....

What you have to be concerned about is internet egoists who think that they can't possibly have enough bad luck to have just bought a lemon, so when they do get a bad gun its because the entire makers product line has to be garbage, not just their wrotten luck.

Most of these TYROS haven't been around long enough to figure out that EVERY maker makes a lemon now and then and that ANYBODY can get one.
Elmer Keith once wrote that if Colt, Remington or Smith and Wesson made a thousand examples of any one gun and only one in the whole batch was bad, that would be the one he got.

Elmer was realistic enough to know that a lot of these things are just mathmatical luck of the draw.
My dad's Charter service revolver took a lickin and kept tickin for decades. He swapped it off on a rifle and I bet it is still shooting today.

As for the Bounty Hunter its actualy an old gun called the Hawes Western Marshall that used to be made by the Sig people back in the 50s and sixties. They started making automatic service pistols and sold the tooling for the six shooters to Weirauch, another company.
The old Hawes guns were considered to be decent guns.
Old October 6, 2009, 01:33 PM   #5
flyingcubby

I thank you for your replies. I live here in California unfriendly gun land and was going to see about getting one .. Thanks again.
Old October 12, 2009, 12:12 AM   #6
scottys1

I have never personally fired a Bounty Hunter, but when I worked at a gun store we sold quite a few. They seemed to be well built for the price.

I only had one complaint. A customer brought one back soon after purchasing it with a broken hammer spring. I swapped one from a new gun into his gun in a few minutes. In a few days we had a new one free from EAA to replace the broken one. The customer later reported that his Bounty Hunter was working just fine after the spring swap, had no further problems, and was happy with the gun.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:50 AM   #7
ulmer

I have two Charters and two Bounty Hunters and they are both good buys. You ask about BH so my .45 with 4 5/8 inch barrel shoots a tad to the left. Interestingly switching hands it hits right on. At around 450 rounds the ejector tube blew off. I bought the parts from EAA and fixed it but I imagine this can happen about that often with the .45 BH. I had a BH .22 combo in 6+ inch barrel and it soon loosened while firing, breaking an internal part. EAA fixed it free, sent an extra cylinder unaccountably, but I paid shipping both ways. I sold it, needed the money, and now have another BH .22 combo with no problems. Oh, the first .22 had some creep in the trigger. Hope this helps.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:59 AM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
I thank you for your replies. I live here in California unfriendly gun land and was going to see about getting one .. Thanks again.
Spend the extra money and buy a Ruger. If you amortize the extra money spent on the Ruger over the many extra years service that you get out of it, you will actually be money ahead.

On the other hand if you opt to purchase the Bounty Hunter, not only will you be out the initial money you spent on it, but also the money you will have to spend when you go to buy the Ruger after the Bounty Hunter craps out.
Old October 12, 2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Tony R

I have one in 44mag. When I bought it it had a loose hammer spring. I bought a new spring and have probably fired a thousand rounds through it with no other problems. Out of all my pistols it is one of my favorites. My wife doesn't like it because it hurts her hand from the recoil.