The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 5, 2009, 12:22 PM   #1
rm_fagan

Trying to decide- M1A Scout or LR-308B

Ok, help me out. I'm making a hefty purchase by Dec and it's going to be a good .308.

Trying to decide between a Springfield M1A Scout and a DPMS LR-308B.

I want it to be as multifuctional as possible, able to serve as a hunting rifle (where permitted), a "scenario" gun in case, well, you know... and of course a range toy. I'd like point of BG/Deer/Plate accuracy to 500m, don't need a 1000yd gun.

I want reliability. Not AK reliability, as I don't see me going a week without cleaning my rifle in any circumstance. Just want it to go bang, assuming I've kept it clean, loaded, and maintained.

Would mount optics on either, likely an Aimpoint if on the Scout, perhaps an ACOG on the DPMS.

As I see it, both are about 9lbs, 18" barrels, semi-auto, and roughly same price when I've selected my various options on the DPMS. So...which is it?
Old October 5, 2009, 12:32 PM   #2
SR420

Find yourself a pre-owned Bush or Scout rifle. Add an UltiMAK railed hand guard and an Aimpoint Comp ML3 with a 2 MOA dot in a low factory ring.
This combo is light, accurate, reliable and does not require your adding a cheek riser to your Synthetic or wood stock.
If legal in your state... I also recommend the HK style GLFS and a DC Vortex flash eliminator from SEI.

If you have the budget... consider bolting the barreled action into a SAGE EBR with the M4 receiver tube extension... something like this.
Information on the MK14 and M14 EBR is available on The M14HDW Forum.

Old October 5, 2009, 12:39 PM   #3
scorpiusdeus

My buddy has the M-1A SOCOM II and he loves it. It balances well and shoots well. I'm not a fan of the AR platform, but there''s no real reason other than I'm just not a fan.
Old October 5, 2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Tucker 1371

I think you'd be happiest with the M1A Scout or SOCOM (well... I know I would be). They're not quite as accurate as the AR (I think the match models may be though) but it is still an accurate gun, marginally more reliable, and should perform every task you mentioned quite nicely. Just my .02
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Old October 5, 2009, 12:45 PM   #5
azredhawk44

I used to have an M1A scout.

I used it for exactly what you described. I didn't use the forward mount on it though... tried an EER scope and it just seemed to forward-heavy. I took that mount off, replaced the handguard with a standard one with no hole, and put an ARMS #18 on top of the receiver and a Leupold fixed 4x33 scope on it. Great setup.

With the M14/M1A platform, your scope mount above the receiver is critical. Go cheap, and you'll pay twice because it won't work right unless it is secure.

ARMS and Sadlak make great receiver mounts for optics. I think the Sadlak one is a bit better than ARMS, since it sits higher and causes less obstruction to ejected brass. My ARMS one was secure, but with leupold QRW quick release rings, the op rod and quick release lever would sometimes bind up an ejected case.

I got rid of the M1A scout and built up a custom M14 based on an Armscorp receiver and full length Criterion barrel... I wanted a match gun. But I find myself missing that little scout.

Here's a couple pics of it prior to sale:

No experience with AR10's but I expect it will be more accurate and easier to scope.

My scout was good for about 1.25 MOA with handloads using 168gr BTHP bullets from Hornady. Sierra matchkings and a little more patient trimming/powder metering would probably get it under 1 MOA, just barely.
Old October 5, 2009, 12:51 PM   #6
comn-cents

dpms is the one I like. Works just like my AR, I like that.
Old October 5, 2009, 01:09 PM   #7
HiBC

Without commenting on the choice between rifles:
Unless you know of a DPMS you can put your hands on,I would not count on ordering one and seeing it anytime soon.I ordered mine in latter 2008.I was told 6 months.After 6 months,I was told another 4-8 months.
Still no rifle.
I'm a bit annoyed with them.I want the 308L