The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 4, 2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Aristides

7mm-08: 120 grain vs 140 grain...?

For several years, I've had my Remington Model Seven 7mm-08 perfectly zeroed in at 100 yards using 120 grain Remington HP. I was using 120 grain with the idea that I would get a little less recoil compared to 140 grain, and it would be easier for my son to shoot. But now he has his own 243. So, I'm thinking about switching to standard 140 grain for whitetail deer, because that's the most commonly available 7mm-08 ammo.

My question is, if I go up 20 grains, will I be able to tell any difference on my "zero" if I switch to 140 grain? It's "right on" with the 120. Shall I leave it alone, or do I need to re-zero with the 140?
Old October 5, 2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Demaiter

My bet is that it will be close - within an inch or two... but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

If the 120's been working fine - you can stick with them, but personally I'd up to the 140 and adjust my zero if necessary.
Old October 5, 2009, 06:39 AM   #3
ZeroJunk

You really need to shoot it and see. Not only will a different bullet and different velocity cause a different amount of drop they can also move left or right for reasons that my pea brain doesn't understand. But, it may likely be insignificant.
Old October 5, 2009, 07:25 AM   #4
GeauxTide

Don't know about zero, but go with the 140s. If you load, my 7s have liked 139SSTs and 140 Speers. If not, the good ole green box Remington CoreLockts are great.
Old October 5, 2009, 08:29 AM   #5
moosemike

Go with the 140's. 120 hp's leave alot to be desired with penetration.
Old October 5, 2009, 10:47 AM   #6
hardluk1

Just the change in brand of ammo or bullet design can change the zero so go shoot your gun and shoot at distance if you can ,not just at 100 yards.
Old October 5, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7
rickyjames

i guess it depends on how much 120 gr ammo you have left. i know some people that get a deer every year and a box of cartridges last them 20 years.
of course i'm not one of those people. i think the 120 gr is fine for deer, i know people that use the 140 gr for elk with total success. yes i have a 7mm/08 these days i buy what i can find on the shelf, make the adjustments at the range and make do.
Old October 5, 2009, 11:21 AM   #8
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
The 120Gr. Remington load is a HP varmint bullet and not suitable for deer. I shoot the Speer 145 Gr. and it kills deer like lightening. Any 140 will get the job done too !
Old October 5, 2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Osageshooter

I have loaded for both and used both. Depending on which powder, I find small to moderate change in the point of impact going from the 120s to the 140s. I am going almost exclusively to 140s for deer. Using H380 46.5 grains and Barnes TSX bullets, I am getting about 2850 fps and great performance on deer. Given the ballistic coefficients, I don't see any reason to use the 120s for deer. I had no complaints about performance of the 120s, but the 140s are great and penetrate well on hogs.
Old October 5, 2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Aristides

Core-Lokt vs "Premium" Bullets...?

I'm the OP. I have been using the Remington 120 grain HP for sighting in and target practice, and then switching to CorBon 120 grain DPX for the actual hunting (the DPX are too expensive for target practice). Don't know if this was wise or not, but I assumed the 120 grain Remington HP and CorBon 120 grain DPX would be close enough that it wouldn't make much difference. Haven't missed any deer, at least!

Two more questions along this line...

1) I did go with 120 grain originally to get the softest recoil, since my son would be shooting it some, but really, is there likely to be much noticeable difference in the recoil (when practicing) between 120 and 140 grain?

2) I don't mind paying "premium" price for ammo if it really makes a difference, but I can't bring myself to pay those prices for target practice. If I want to practice AND hunt deer with the same round, it seems to me that Remington Core-Lokts would be the choice...moderately priced, and effective on deer, right? What am I "giving up" if I hunt with Core-Lokts instead of, for example, Hornady SST or CorBon DPX or even Remington Premier AccuTip?
Old October 5, 2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Uncle Mike

Hornady Light Magnum 139gr SST or Pointed lead Tip.

You will simply love this stuff. My daughter shoots this load out of her Model 7, so recoil is nil.
Old October 6, 2009, 09:54 AM   #12
moosemike

A 7mm-08 with 140 grain loads isn't a hard kicker by any means. I started my wife on that very load and she never complained.
Old October 6, 2009, 12:05 PM   #13
ojibweindian

Quote:
2) I don't mind paying "premium" price for ammo if it really makes a difference, but I can't bring myself to pay those prices for target practice. If I want to practice AND hunt deer with the same round, it seems to me that Remington Core-Lokts would be the choice...moderately priced, and effective on deer, right? What am I "giving up" if I hunt with Core-Lokts instead of, for example, Hornady SST or CorBon DPX or even Remington Premier AccuTip?
I've developed loads in a 7mm Rem. Mag which consists of 150 grain Core-Lokts. Performance on deer is excellent. I don't think you're really "giving up" anything by using a 140 grain Core-Lokt to go after deer.
Old October 6, 2009, 12:27 PM   #14
LHB1

Quote: "Don't know if this was wise or not, but I assumed the 120 grain Remington HP and CorBon 120 grain DPX would be close enough that it wouldn't make much difference."

BIG assumption. May or may not be true. Recommend you ALWAYS check sighting with actual ammo type to be used for a given purpose. A change in brand, bullet weight, bullet style, etc. "may" change the point of impact and sometimes more than you expect. Murphy's Law says the maximum variation in point of impact (a miss in other words) will coincide with your one in a lifetime chance at a Boone & Crockett deer. At least, that's the way things seem to work out for me.
Old October 6, 2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Big-Foot

If you want to stick with a 120 then just switch to the 120 Ballistic Tip, it'll penetrate elk and moose. Nosler toughened it up by using the 140 Ballistic Tips jacket and since that jacket isn't stretched out to the 140s length it's actually thicker in the 120 than it is in the 140.