The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 27, 2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Blondie

SAF Conference in St. Louis

I went to the Second Amendment Foundation Conference yesterday in St. Louis (I think it concludes today).

Alan Gura (the Heller attorney, who I met and have to say is very modest in what he has accomplished) and Don Kilmer (the Nordyke attorney) were there and gave presentations. They agreed that, eventually, the second amendment would be incorporated to the states. Kilmer didn't seem too concerned that the 9th Circuit put the case on hold, saying that it would nudge the Supreme Court to grant cert. on McDonald (which Gura is working on). There was very little time for questions, but I wanted to ask what the standard of review would be if the 2nd Amendment is incorporated? If it is incorporated, does that mean it is "fundamental" not only in the incorporation sense, but also in that state/federal regulations would need to pass strict scrutiny?

Anyways, I really want to say the the Second Amendment Foundation guys are a first class, stand up group. I met the founder, Alan Gottlieb, and he is very well spoken and genuine fighter for the second amendment. Also, I didn't realize it, but SAF funds a lot of the research that lawyers utilize in bringing cases such as Heller, McDonald, and Nordyke.

For what its worth, I am going to include them in the organizations I contribute to.

Blonde