The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 21, 2009, 04:46 PM   #1
rickdavis81

Interarms Mark X 7mm RM

My buddy traded a chainsaw for an Interarms Mark X in 7mm RM. He was asking me what I knew about them, which I replied not a thing. He says it has a synthetic stock on it. But from the little I've found I'm thinking it's an aftermarket. He's also under the impression that it was made by remington. Also says it has the mauser action and modified bolt handle. Can any one give me a history lesson on these?
Old September 21, 2009, 04:58 PM   #2
N00b_Shooter

I cant tell you too much about them, but i own one and its also chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. They were made by Parker hale in England but they don't make them anymore. That stock is after market cause they were never released with synthetic stocks. It is a mauser action and if you take a photo of the bolt, i'll tell you if its been modified. Good hunting rifle and it will shoot about MOA but a little uncomfortable for me to shoot all day so it doesn't see much action.
Old September 21, 2009, 06:28 PM   #3
taylorce1

Not Parker Hale, they might have been imported under Parker Hale but I'm pretty sure they have always been a Yugoslavian (stand corrected) built action. I'm by far no expert on the Mauser 98 both military and commercial. The PH was usually the same as the Santa Barbara Mauser.

The Interarms Mark X are the same as the Charles Daly action which was the Remington 798 and 799 action which they have now dropped from their lineup. Zastava is the company who built the Charles Daly and Remington actions, but they might have been under a different name when the Mark X was imported by Interarms.

The synthetic stock is an aftermarket not original. Good news is your buddy got a pretty decent action and rifle. I don't care for the cartridge but that is a personal thing I have with most 7mm RM, but it will handle anything in the lower 48 with ease. He should see a lot of years of service from that rifle tell him to enjoy.

Last edited by taylorce1; September 22, 2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Change Chec to Yugoslavian
Old September 21, 2009, 06:43 PM   #4
jmr40

Just to expand a bit more. They are made in Yugoslavia and have been imported under several names. They are quite popular for a custom build and many actions have been sold with no barrel or stock. It is quite possible someone put together a semi-custom from an Interarms action. I have a 338-06 built on one of the actions and think highly of them. The actions are a little rough at first as are the triggers, but it is nothing that cannot be corrected.
Old September 21, 2009, 07:39 PM   #5
GONIF

Got one in a 3006,and it has been a joy to own and shoot since I bought it new 1972 .
Old September 21, 2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Noonan

I've had a Mark X .308 for twenty years, it's still my main hunting rifle. I want one in .243 to go with it.
Old September 22, 2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Scorch

MArk X rifles were made for Interarms by Zastava in the former Yugoslavia. Zastava has been making that basic rifle for almost 50 years, marketed under various names such as Herters, Parker Hale (not all Parker Hales are Zastava rifles, some are BSA or Santa Barbara), Century, Golden Bear, Interarms, Charles Daly, Remington, etc. Generally, the Interarms rifles are the best finished of the Zastava rifles. If he traded a chain saw for the rifle, and the rifle is in decent shape, he did OK, they generally sell for $150-$450, depending on model, finish, and general condition.
Taylor Machine
Old September 22, 2009, 12:55 AM   #8
.300 Weatherby Mag

The same gun is still being made but it is imported and marketed by USSG as the "Z98"... I bought a used Mark X in 30-06 and the first three shots were touching at 100 yards.. The third shot hand grenaded the scope and I haven't had it out again yet...
Old September 22, 2009, 02:55 AM   #9
trooper3385

My brother in law has one that he picked up for about $200. He had it glass beaded and a trigger job done on it and has it shooting 3/4 in groups with just about any 180 gr bullet. He hasn't had much luck with anything other than 180's. I don't know a whole lot about them other than playing around with his some. I know they are pretty sought after for there actions. Alot of people buy them and ditch everything but the action for a custom build.
Old September 22, 2009, 07:30 AM   #10
GeauxTide

Mark X is Excellent

Had ER Shaw rebarrel a 30-06 to 280 as a gift for my son. I had shot it some in '06 form for a few years and it was shot a consistent 7/8" with 150s. Also had them add a 6.5-06 barrel to a Mark X action at the same time. During the 80's, Shaw throated them for 100gr bullets. I opened the bolt after my first 120 and the primer fell out. Sent it back to Shaw, who throated to my specs. They also checked rifle for damage at no charge. Still using the 6.5.These actions are very strong...........
Old September 24, 2009, 12:12 AM   #11
David Wile

Hey folks,

My father and I used to blue guns and make stocks for barreled actions in the 1960s and 1970s. I think it was about 1969 when we each bought a Mark X action which were barreled with Douglas premium gread heavy target barrels. His was in .257 Roberts while I stuck with the old 30-06 cartridge. We made target stocks from nice walnut, bedded the actions in glass and floated the barrels above beaver tail forearms.

Back then, my younger eyes could shoot a bit better than my dad's. With FMJ HP boattail match bullets, I could frequently have all five holes touching at 100 yards. Most times, my five shot groups would be covered by a dime. Then there were also a few times when I would have a bad shot and the group would spread out to a nickel size at 100 yards.

I know others who can do better, but now the many years have passed by, and I can no longer get nickel sized groups with that same gun and the same ammo. It is comforting, however, to see other younger shooters take my original Mark X 30-06 and shoot five of my bullets into one ragged hole.

I would have to give the Mark X a big plus as a fine Mauser action.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile