The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 20, 2009, 06:15 PM   #1
radioflyer

Home-made P30 holster (new design)

Based on experience learned from my first home-build holster and some outside advice, I made a few changes with my new one. While still keeping some of the design features of the old (such as all stainless/aluminum hardware)

The first was that there's no reason to have a completely shrouded for it's intended purpose of competition shooting. The extra drag on the holster sometimes makes drawing the weapon an inconsistent process. I based the new design on Raven Concealment’s “Ghost series” The resulting product is lightweight and exceedingly simple in construction.

I took more precautions when forming around the trigger to prevent any un-needed and possible hazardous retention around the trigger. I used a foam insert around the trigger itself to allow good retention on the guard but not the trigger itself.

The Aluminum belt hooks (while reliable and easy to use) had a habit of sliding. I corrected the problem by using heat shrink tubing around the aluminum making the surface have a little friction while still being nonabrasive to leather.

Lastly, Instead of a flat profile on the non-gun side of the holster, I molded this holster to a curve to wrap around my body.

Pending the first test of the holster in action I may decide to seal up the edges for a more finished appearance
Old September 23, 2009, 07:52 PM   #2
ritepath

I built something close to the same as that but couldn't decide what I wanted for the belt loops (based off the raven also) getting the bends right is the main thing I've found.

I also made one based on the ghost holster that I used chicago screws and bolted the face straight to a duty belt with a piece of teflon material as the "backing" it works pretty well for carry with shorts keeping the pistol right against my side.

I've since built a couple of holsters to go between the belt and pants and a few paddles using blade-tech paddles.
Old September 23, 2009, 07:55 PM   #3
dondavis3

It looks to me like it would work very well.

Let us know after a few hours of carry.
Old September 23, 2009, 08:01 PM   #4
radioflyer

IDPA meet tomorrow night, will report after.