The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 10, 2009, 10:37 PM   #1
fortkevin2

Question regarding trades online.... Please give your Opinion!!

First, please move this if it's not in the right forum.

I am in a tight spot as far as a trade goes here. I have sold lots of stuff and bought lots of stuff online. Buyer sends USPS MO... seller sends item and vise versa. Both parties are protected.

When trading one thing for another and not local.... How do you know that the other person will send the item if you send yours to them? You can't can you? I don't want to get ripped off again and I know they don't either. What do you guys do in a situation like this? Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Last edited by fortkevin2; September 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old September 10, 2009, 11:29 PM   #2
CGSteve8718

The best you can do is to review the person's forum feedback, and participation if that is where you received the offer from.

When you say not local, you still mean in the same state correct?
Old September 10, 2009, 11:32 PM   #3
fortkevin2

That's what I've been doing is looking for feedback. I found some after I asked for it and It looks like it will work out alright. We will see!

No when I say not local I mean different states... anywhere but around where I live.
Old September 11, 2009, 12:10 AM   #4
CWPinSC

Quote:
What do you guys do in a situation like this?
Check feedback, time in the forum, number of posts (read them), time on the 'Net, amount of personal information in the profile, etc. Then you take your chance. Knock on wood, I've never been cheated in an online trade, sale, or buy.
Old September 11, 2009, 12:26 AM   #5
Rich Miranda

Quote:
Buyer sends USPS MO... seller sends item and vise versa. Both parties are protected.
How is the buyer protected? A MO will be cashed and the 'casher' is basically untraceable. There are places around here that will cash MOs with no ID whatsoever.

The bottom line is trust. You have to 'know' the other guy to some degree. On a forum like this, you would look at post count, post content, attitude, and how open the person is. For example, if you go through my posts you'll find that I am open about where I live, what I do, etc. A good phone conversation pre-deal doesn't hurt either.

As for trading over a distance with a stranger, sometimes a good FFL will act as the escrow service. My FFL will do that. After consulting with the other FFL, he will not release a gun to me until I give him the trade gun.
Old September 11, 2009, 01:51 AM   #6
CK_32

idk from my experience in other trades over forums
is not recommended unless u can meet up with sed person
and text out the gun.. because many people ruin it for the rest
and try to scam and get a quick outing and make money
and screw the other one over.. every now and then you meet
a legit person but not always.. so if you can text it out..
or avoid the blind internet trading.. all together id do so..

Or at least test out the weapon and make sure everything is
as what it seems and you dont do the deal and end up with
a gun you paid $400 for and should have payed a good $30
then thrown it in the trash..

Just be careful what you work out and make sure EVERYTHING
is in working order.. because it can look good for a second..
but over time alot of things can pop up.. id recommend
maybe having a tech check it out or if u know enough
get a real good look at it before u go through with anything
Old September 11, 2009, 02:04 AM   #7
hoytinak

Quote:
Check feedback, time in the forum, number of posts (read them), time on the 'Net, amount of personal information in the profile, etc. Then you take your chance. Knock on wood, I've never been cheated in an online trade, sale, or buy.
Quote:
The bottom line is trust. You have to 'know' the other guy to some degree. On a forum like this, you would look at post count, post content, attitude, and how open the person is. For example, if you go through my posts you'll find that I am open about where I live, what I do, etc. A good phone conversation pre-deal doesn't hurt either.
That sums it up right there. I've done quite a bit of trading on different forums and I've had good luck so far.
Old September 11, 2009, 01:33 PM   #8
oneounceload

Is a trade considered a sale if it crosses state lines? Might it not have to go through a FFL? (assuming it is a gun)
Old September 11, 2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload
...Is a trade considered a sale if it crosses state lines? Might it not have to go through a FFL? (assuming it is a gun) ...
I believe so. IIRC, the various laws refer to "transfers."
Old September 11, 2009, 05:37 PM   #10
fortkevin2

I understand that you need a FFL to do firearms transfer's across state lines. This was concerning a barrel and ammo swap. I shipped the barrel out today so we will see what happens. I will give you guys an update!
Old September 17, 2009, 09:08 PM   #11
fortkevin2

update

Seems like I got ripped off!

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...00#post3696700
Old September 17, 2009, 09:36 PM   #12
laytonj1

As I posted in your feedback thread:
You cannot legally send ammo thru the post office. It must go thru ups or fedex ground and takes about a week. With that said they should be able to provide you with a tracking number.

Jim
Old September 18, 2009, 05:28 PM   #13
Montanaman

Online Trading/selling

I've done many, never been burned, BUT the last one , his dealer sat on the one he was sending to me for almost 2 weeks, kept saying it was sent but couldn't provide a shipper #... when I called up and said the police would be my next call, (after several snotty replys to my e mails), the gun that "HAD" be shipped was in fact shipped that day ...

Wasn't the guy I was dealing with fault, but he was always too busy to go into the store and ask about it...

I was getting a bit PO'd!! thats the only bad one out of many...
Old September 19, 2009, 08:35 AM   #14
fortkevin2

Yup, I've been ripped off! I will be calling her local police department. Not sure how much good that will do. I used USPS to ship the barrel. Can they do anything to help me?

Anyone have any idea's on how I catch this person if even possible? I have her full name and address if that will help.