The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 16, 2009, 07:16 AM   #1
lizziedog1

Oddballs

Does anyone here like guns chambered for odd or rare cartridges?

I do, I always have. I realize they are a pain to get ammo for, some even if you reload. But I have always gotten a kick shooting rounds that are not exactly found in everyones gun safe.

I have a rifle chamberd in .32-20. I have one in .35 Remington. I have one in 6.5mm Carcano. I have one in 6.5mm-06. You get the drift.

So, those of you that like unusual calibers, what do you have?
Old September 16, 2009, 07:30 AM   #2
roy reali

re:lizziedog1

I too like guns chambered for obsolete rounds. There is something entertaining to me about reloading the ammo and shooting those guns. I hate owning what everyone else does.

I do not own a rifle chambered in .30-06. I have and probably will again, but it is too darn common. It is common for a good reason, I know. It is probably the most balanced and useful cartridge for North American hunters. If every other cartridge became obsolete except for the .30-06, it would hardly be a handicap for 99% of the hunting done by 99% of hunters. That along with a 12 gauge shotgun and a .22 rimfire rifle would be as complete of a useful gun collection as there could be.

Instead, I like my guns to shoot rounds that make fellow shooter ask, "What are you shooting."?
Old September 16, 2009, 07:33 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not me... never tried reloading and some of them odd ball rounds are likely expensive to create with the cost of "custom" brass etc.
A .22 mag is the oddest I would consider and I don't have one of them yet.
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 07:36 AM   #4
lizziedog1

Hogdogs, you are right. They are a pain in the rear to shoot. But, at least to me, that is part of the fun.
Old September 16, 2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Bud Helms
Staff

lizziedog1,

There is a long way between "rare" and maybe "uncommon" on the shelf at WalMart.

None of the cartridges you list are rare. I've always believed that shooting commercial ammo is a rich man's sport, excluding mil surp bulk.

Once you start reloading, "rare, odd and uncommon" just don't mean much any more.
Old September 16, 2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Let's see...

8mm Lebel rifle...

6.5mm Arisaka

.25-20

.32-20 (revolver)

11mm French Ordnance revolver. That one is probably king.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 16, 2009, 11:10 AM   #7
oneounceload

My "oddball" is a XP-100 in 7mm BR - accurate doesn't begin to describe it....need to try it on a hog or whitetail.....
Old September 16, 2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Gary L. Griffiths

I currently have a Krag carbine and a sporterized Krag rifle. My next long gun acquisition will probably be a Winchester 95 carbine in .30-40 Krag.

It's still an excellent big game round.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 16, 2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I have a thing for "unusual" cartridges but "unusual" is a relative term.

Guys like Bud and Mike would consider my choices to be every day items. So far, my "rare" breeds are 204ruger and 357sig. I consider them to be "rare" because anyone who is not pretty deep into the firearms world, more than a casual shooter, may have never even heard of either of them. Certainly neither of them is some odd french round but "rarity" is a relative term.....

Wal*Mart doesn't sell ammo for either one.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old September 16, 2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

If this were just cartridges that we have, I have some TRUE oddities in my collection...

An early .32 Moore Teatfire...

Burnsides and Gallagher cartridges from the Civil War.

Inside primed .45-70 and .45 S&W rounds.

It just gets weirder from there.

Old September 16, 2009, 11:32 AM   #11
ISC

I was into VZ 52s for awhile, but I got over it and only have one now. It's too bad that cheap 7.62x45 isn't available.
Old September 16, 2009, 11:51 AM   #12
Buzzcook

I've always thought a .40-60 would be a fun cartridge to try out. Not sure if you could call it rare because it used to be popular.
Old September 16, 2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've fired a .40-60, at the NRA Black Powder Cartridge Rifle championships out of a Sharps Shiloh.

Nice gun, mild manered cartridge with just enough oomph to take down the 500 meter rams.

Old September 16, 2009, 07:50 PM   #14
HeroHog

9mm Winchester Magnum (9x29)... what did I win? ;-)

I shot these in my old AMT AutoMag III
Old September 19, 2009, 11:23 AM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

not found on the shelves

at least within 100 miles of me...

.45 Win Mag.
.44 AutoMag

but brass can be ordered, and even loaded ammo. It just costs a bit.

.357 AutoMag - as far as I can find, nobody is loading this one or selling brass, currently. So, I make my own.

My other guns are all in calibers one usually finds in the better stocked stores, although lately even those stores haven't been well stocked.

7.7mm Jap isn't usually on the shelves either. And finding .222 Rem isn't easy anymore.

Many formerly out of production rounds are available today, many more than at any time in the past. Heck, I can even get .455 Webley again! But they ain't cheap!