The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2009, 11:30 AM   #1
awaveritt

Giving magazine springs a rest

How long do you keep your magazines loaded before giving the springs a rest? I usually keep one loaded for a week or so and then cycle my other two. What say you?
Old September 17, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
OuTcAsT

I keep my magazines loaded all the time, never saw any reason to "relax" the springs, as constant tension has no effect on the performance of spring-steel. Have heard this myth before though.

Whatever helps you sleep at night...

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old September 17, 2009, 11:55 AM   #3
45Gunner

Call me a slave driver.... I never give those puppies a rest. They're at work so I can rest easy.

I do replace my magazines every once in a while. I have a ten year old Kimber and I keep the gun loaded and the magazines full to capacity since the day I bought it. I just ordered two new mags so it is not like I am buying new magazines every other day.

All this gun talk is making me have withdrawal....have a great day, I'm off to the range.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by 45Gunner; September 17, 2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Going to the Range
Old September 17, 2009, 12:08 PM   #4
ISC

Your magazine springs are worked harder by being cycled than sitting loaded. Unless it is a really crappy mag the springs will never wear out. You're wasting your time.
Old September 17, 2009, 12:28 PM   #5
QBall45

My 6 mags are always loaded. The only time they get a "break" is on the range.

I switch out carry ammo for range ammo, then go shoot. Reload with carry ammo at the end of my range session.

I'm not concrened about the springs taking a "set".
Old September 17, 2009, 12:48 PM   #6
JBriggs

I have one government issue .45 mag that sat loaded for seven years. I forgot about it and it lived in the back of my gun closet the whole time. Found during cleaning and took it to the range. No flaws- worked perfectly. The steel in the springs is tempered so that they will work after even being compressed for some time.

I read an article not to long ago about how this demolition crew in berlin found an old WW2 pistol while excavating a basement. The mag was still loaded and it worked fine when they fired the pistol.
Old September 17, 2009, 12:51 PM   #7
brickeyee

"They're at work so I can rest easy."

A spring that is held in a static compressed state is not doing any work since there is no movement.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

I have mags that have been loaded for 35 years.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:12 PM   #9
azredhawk44

A good mag, with a quality spring, will never wear out if left empty or left full or left somewhere in between.

It's cycles that wear them out.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:15 PM   #10
riggins_83

I use Wilson magazines in my daily carry gun (Kimber) and will swap the mags every now and then, usually just when they need cleaning. If they do get swapped it's usually after a month or two.

Good metal springs keep tension best with constant loads. When they're compressed and released each time the spring looses a little strength.

I have a junk AR magazine that was left loaded fully for a long time (at least 4 years) and still works fine.

I tend to have a few magazines around that are for range visits.. this way my carry mags aren't being cycled as often.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:38 PM   #11
hickok45

I guess I believe what I've read over and over about being harder on the springs to be loading and unloading them; however, I still feel better if I rotate in a different magazines every couple of months.

If unloading them and reloading them every two months compromises their reliability, they aren't worth much anyway.

Likewise, I know that the new lithium phone and camera batteries don't need to be run down completely before charging when I get a new one, but I feel better if I do it anyway. Couldn't hurt.

Guess I'm just destined to be "Old School"! Which reminds me, I think I have to go patch an inner tube in one of my new car's tires!
Old September 17, 2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Yup, and they'll likely function perfectly. I just used a FAL mag last year that was loaded 20 years ago. It was my first mag used at the outdoor range then, and it went flawlessly.
Old September 17, 2009, 02:06 PM   #13
Walt Sherrill

Wolff Springs, which has some expertise on this topic, says that it really depends on how a spring is used.

In a standard capacity magazine, like a 7-round 1911 (.45) mag, or 10-round 9mm mag, you can leave the mag fully loaded forever and you'll have problems before it will. Over time, working the mag a lot will contribute to wear and weakness, but it will take a lot.

The problems arise when the mag spring is pushed to its design limits. For 8-round 1911 mags, or 15/16 round 9mm mags, for example, the mag makers typically use the same spring as in standard mags. But, in the high-cap mags, the springs are compressed farther. That strains the springs and accelerates their wear. They've been pushed to -- or beyond -- their original design limits.

Letting springs rest does NOTHING. Springs aren't animals, and don't get better after resting. Metal fatigue can't be overcome and the metal can't be rejuvenated by giving it time off. Rotating mags doesn't save the mags -- it just spreads the wear over a larger number of mags. You're just delaying when you replace the springs, and have to replace more of them.

Wolff suggests downloading a mag a round or two if you're going to leave them stored for long periods.

Check out the FAQ section on the Wolff website for more info.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; September 17, 2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old September 17, 2009, 02:40 PM   #14
RJay

I turn my car over once a week to rest the springs, you mean I've been doing all that work for nothing?
Old September 17, 2009, 02:43 PM   #15
awaveritt

I like what Walt Sherrill said about the advice from Wolff Springs. My mags happen to be double-stacked 9mm and backing off a round in each mag is not a huge compromise in my view. If I'm looking for that 16th round in my bedroom at 2 in the morning, I'm probably in over my head, anyways. Thanks for all your replies.
Old September 17, 2009, 04:28 PM   #16
majortoo

Magazine springs

I seem to recall....(Hell, it has been 50 years!) that the Army used to require MP (Military Police for those of you who do not understand DODspeak) 45 magazines to hold five rounds each. No more, no less...I expect that the policy was based on some sort of rational thought, but have no idea regarding the source...
Old September 17, 2009, 04:38 PM   #17
majortoo

magazine springs

Another thought to consider: Do the hooks on your metal coat hangers collapse at two in the morning, dumping your cammies on the floor? Of course not; if you want to break a coat hanger, you bend it at the same spot, repeatedly, until it parts. That is what metal fatigue is all about. If you do that and touch the metal at the breaking point, you will notice that the steel is warm. All those little atoms bouncing off one another in protest....That is why coil springs usually last longer than leaf springs, all else being equal. Coil springs eliminate the stress point. I'll stop now; if you want more, talk to a metallurgist or ME (mechanical engineer)...
Old September 17, 2009, 05:19 PM   #18
OldShooter

Springs

RJay
You should have been saving yourself all that trouble. Use a lift to raise the car enough to have the wheels suspended in the air. Easier on the finish too.
Old September 17, 2009, 05:24 PM   #19
madmag

Quote:
same here.

Quote:
It's cycles that wear them out.
Exactly.

Quote:
How long do you keep your magazines loaded before giving the springs a rest?
50 years is a good number.

Until you pass the elastic limit on springs nothing much happens. Now cycles...that's a different story.
Old September 17, 2009, 06:54 PM   #20
45Gunner

I knew there was a reason I liked this web site. Beats the hell out of playing bridge.
NRA Life Member
Old September 17, 2009, 07:31 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

I work with a lot of springs. I have never seen a spring get weak from cycling. I have seen them work-harden and break, as in the coat hanger anology above, but I have NEVER seen a spring get progressively weaker.
The springs I work with are mostly small leaf-type springs that are subjected to enormous stress loads. These are the simplest of springs, and they just don't get weak. They work, or they break.
If you bend a spring past it's elastic limit, they will not return to their previous state.
BTW- remember that Wolff SELLS springs, so take what they say with a grain of salt. They wouldn't do much business if they told you springs don't wear out.
Old September 17, 2009, 08:43 PM   #22
armsmaster270

Majortoo: I remember that from when I was in the M.P.'s but we still always loaded 7 Black Talons anyway I was N.C.O.I.C. and we didn't have adult (Officer) Supervision.