MGRacer

Home Depot 22

.22LR with a SRT Odessa can.

Old September 15, 2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

But, WHY?
Old September 15, 2009, 11:53 PM   #3
Zilmo

Sigh.... They just don't make zipguns like they used to.
Old September 15, 2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Bigjim3

Dont think I would be showing everyone this.. Some things best unshown,or told. But either way neat..
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old September 16, 2009, 12:10 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ain't there a permit/stamp for just such a novelty/demonstration firearm?
Otherwise... Likely too late to be un noticed at this point. I bet there are agents tasked with checking this forum daily if not several times per day. Being one of the most active gun forums and one of a few that have active NFA sections.
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 12:18 AM   #6
MGRacer

This is an NFA item as is the suppressor (thus I posted in the NFA section). The gun is an AOW ($5 transfer tax) while the can is $200 transfer tax. Fully legit -- made by an SOT (name is engraved on receiver so probably not trying to "hide")-- same category as a pen gun.
Old September 16, 2009, 12:19 AM   #7
teeroux

Judging by the manufacturers rollmarking on the brass nipple I am pretty sure it also has a serial and stamp.
Old September 16, 2009, 12:56 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

MGR, Awesome than! I would love to get into NFA items but I understand you are allowing the ATF permission to request to see your arms anytime they feel a need and possibly so far as consent to search but I am not clear on this as many of ya'll are.
Cool gun setup! I would love to be able to hunt 'dillars with that!
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 06:06 AM   #9
Superhouse 15

And if nothing ese, a demonstration on why gun control will never work.
Old September 16, 2009, 08:30 AM   #10
ZeSpectre

It's funny because (as a gunny) I was reading all of this and following right along but then I paused and thought about newbies to the gun world so I thought a brief clarification might be in order.

TO ANYONE THINKING ABOUT BUILDING THEIR OWN VERSION OF THIS

1) It is an "AOW" (also known as "any other weapon"). This is a legal designation and requires a bit of extra money/licensing in order to be done legally. Failure to do so is a Felony.

2) The "Silencer" (aka "muffler" aka "can") turns it into an NFA regulated item. Another legal term and something that also has additional licensing requirements and a "tax stamp".

So in summary, this is the sort of thing that can be done legally by anyone willing to spend the time, pay the money, and do the paperwork. Failure to do so would be a Felony so do it right folks.

Quote:
And if nothing ese, a demonstration on why gun control will never work.
Yeah, no kidding.
Old September 16, 2009, 09:49 AM   #11
JWT

As Bill DeShivs said. WHY???
Old September 16, 2009, 09:51 AM   #12
hoytinak

Because he can....or better yet....Why not?

Some people just like to tinker.
Old September 16, 2009, 03:23 PM   #13
raimius

Ok, I'm curious.
Is there a trigger mechanism, or is the bolt used to fire it?
(no pun intended)
Old September 16, 2009, 04:56 PM   #14
Legion2600

Love it ! Any schematics MGracer?
Old September 16, 2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Legion2600

Quote:
Ok, I'm curious.
Is there a trigger mechanism, or is the bolt used to fire it?
(no pun intended)

See the recessed area on the main body? The screw is pulled back under tension into that area, then released by a finger to strike the primer.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:36 PM   #16
MGRacer

Quote:
From JWT: As Bill DeShivs said. WHY???
Quote:
From Superhouse 15: And if nothing else, a demonstration on why gun control will never work.
Although this one is a legally registered AOW.

And because it is very unique. It is also one of the few guns that are about as dangerous to the user as the target so be careful.
Old September 16, 2009, 08:59 PM   #17
SigP6Carry

To the OP: that thing's awesome. It's exactly the type of thing that Richard Dean Anderson or Sean Connery would use in a pinch, love it! I'm glad that it's all checked out legally and you can show us your little toy.

Last edited by JohnKSa; September 18, 2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Deleted response to deleted post.
Old September 16, 2009, 09:05 PM   #18
koolminx

Wow, so AOW means that if you pay your taxes and get your License, you can practically make any damn weapon you like... Wow the Govt. sure likes our money

Secondly:
Quote:
See the recessed area on the main body? The screw is pulled back under tension into that area, then released by a finger to strike the primer.
Essentially, if this piece of pipe had a magazine it would be a semi auto....
Old September 16, 2009, 09:47 PM   #19
SDC

Actually, it would be FULL-auto, because you'd have no way to stop the burst, unless you were willing to jam your hand in the way of the bolt handle. At one time, there were plans available for a 9mm "sputter gun" that worked this way, using STEN gun parts, but it would also dump the entire magazine, unless you wanted to load dummy rounds to control the length of a burst.
Old September 17, 2009, 12:08 AM   #20
Bill DeShivs

I just can't see a 200 + dollar zip gun, but that's just me.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:11 PM   #21
PTK

Some people just like conversation pieces that WON'T end them in jail. Sort of like why I have a 40mm grenade launcher.
Old September 17, 2009, 04:30 PM   #22
James K
Staff

Just FWIW, here is a dirty little secret. If you own NFA firearms that are registered and legal under federal and state/local law, BATFE .... doesn't give a damn! They don't come to your home ten times a day (or even once in 35 years in my case), they don't follow you around, they don't trail you to the firing range. If you are obeying the law, they just don't care.

As for NSA or anyone else secretly monitoring this site, why do they need to do it secretly or use antennas at "Ft. Mead" or anywhere else. They can just sign on and they are welcome to participate. Maybe BATFE tech branch folks could answer some of the questions people raise; at least they might make sense, which is more than some of our posters do (love 'em anyway!).

No, I don't trust the gum-mint much, but why is it surprising that the White House might keep info posted on its own web sites and e-mails addressed to it? They probably keep copies of letters sent to the WH also. What would the writers expect? If you send me a letter I am free to do what I want with it; the government has the same right.

Jim
Old September 17, 2009, 04:58 PM   #23
rbb50

What is funny is anyone could make a zip gun out of wood with a rubber band and it would be very deadly

Some cannons and rocket launchers in ancient china were made with bamboo barrels and were known for annihilating their enemies

An arrow shot from a bow can be rigged to have high explosives on it which would be ten time deadlier than any gun on the market

A small tank of gasoline rigged with a time delay fuse stuffed into the side of a cigarette would be brutal I would think

Making a hand grenade is so easy it is pitiful

So who was talking about gun control without ever thinking some people are educated enough to know they do not even need a manufactured gun to do some real damage?

Sure was not me and I would never do any of those things but then I am smart enough to know I’m not the only educated person in the world unlike a lot of politicians in Washington that seem to think that about themselves.
Old September 17, 2009, 08:16 PM   #24
MGRacer

Bill DeShivs said:
Quote:
I just can't see a 200 + dollar zip gun, but that's just me.
The Transfer tax on AOW is only $5. If you build it, it is $200 transfer tax however. The parts for my SOT cost <$20. Of course it took him a little time to create it.
Old September 17, 2009, 08:26 PM   #25
rbb50

Well my browning buck mark cost $200 and I guarantee it will shoot a much better group any day of the week than any zip gun ever made.

So I sure do not understand why someone would pay $200 for a piece of pipe with a bolt sticking out of it LOL