The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 15, 2009, 06:47 PM   #1
ernestmayhand

Springfield 30-40 Krag info? (pics)

Just aquired my grandpa's old Springfield 30-40 Krag. Apparently back in the 50's it took down it's fair share of deer. Looks like it's been tapped for a scope I think and the "Williams" rear site looks a lot newer than the gun to me. Haven't found out much about the gun though, anybody have info? I'm curious when it was made, where, value, etc. Can't wait to try it out, have a bunch of really really really old ammo that came with it.

Old September 15, 2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Bigfatts

Between the holes in the reciever and in the bbl, the collector's value of the rifle roughly nothing. That being said you have a rifle with one of the nicest actions out there, in a good caliber. It appears your Grandpa made a sort of poor man's express sights with the two rear sights. What I would do with that rifle would be to put a nice stock on it and possibly rebbl it down the road (I have always wanted one in 6.5x55). Make a nice sporter out of it and enjoy it. I'm sure someone else will come along and comment on the age and real world value.
Old September 15, 2009, 07:14 PM   #3
ernestmayhand

Yah I figured the value would be affected by my Grandpa's tinkering. He did something or other with most of his guns. It's nice to have it in the family still because most were sold after he passed.
Is 30-40 ammo virtually impossible to come by?
Old September 15, 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Bigfatts

Nah, it's out there. In fact I see it at Wally World every now and then. It can be found readily at most gun shows. Never looked at the likes of Bass Pro or Cabela's.
Old September 15, 2009, 10:10 PM   #5
30-30remchester

your rifle was built between 1898 and 1903. Your gun was originally a 30" barreled rifle and has been cut down to cabine lenght and a new front sight added. As you said the original rear site has been removed and an aftermarket site added.
Old September 16, 2009, 02:25 AM   #6
armsmaster270

Unfortunatly Grandpa destroyed the Serial Number trying to mount a scope it appears.
Old September 16, 2009, 05:05 AM   #7
darkgael

Krag

Gun lust. You will wait a long time before you find a bolt action that is as fast and as slick as the Krag.
Pete
Old September 16, 2009, 05:28 AM   #8
taylorce1

Mine isn't original either unfortunatly I don't know the history behind mine like you do yours, since I bought my rifle at a pawn shop. So you don't have much collectrors value, but what you do have is a shooter. Find you some reloading equipment and save the brass you shoot and have fun but be careful with only one locking lug on the bolt don't try to hot rod the cartridge. Mine loves 180 grain Hornady round nose bullets. Go out and get a deer in the near future with it, this rifle can still hunt with the best of them.

My 1896 Springfield Krag Sporter:

Old September 16, 2009, 06:03 AM   #9
F. Guffey

"Can't wait to try it out, have a bunch of really really really old ammo that came with it"

That is scary, I am never in a hurry to shoot old ammo, and I have no interest in shooting another Krag, it is a marvel in design and function with one locking lug, seems Springfield could not figure a way to build a rifle with two locking lugs without hand fitting so they decided the 30/40 did not need two. Then there is the JIC lug, the bolt handle served as a safety lug 'just in case' it did need the omitted lug.

Old ammo, really old ammo, check the powder, make sure the powder is not contaminated, powder can cake, the inside of the case can be eaten from the inside out. Caked power can be from either or both ends of the column, if the primer fires and ignites the powder in the head of the case and the powder is caked in the top of the case there is an obstruction, if the powder is caked in the head of the case it could ignite and burn slowly, this would be a bad time to open the bolt.

You do not want to find out if someone made a mistake when they loaded the ammo.

As to what your grandfather did with the rifle, the rifle was his and his to do what ever he choose to do when it belonged to him. I have collected 'ole anything' all of my life, I never rescued anything from a barn, the person that placed it in it in the barn never gets credit, it is always about the person that rescues 'it'. I thought I would leave 'it' all to my children, now they say they have no interest and would not have time, I have to get busy.

F. Guffey
Old September 16, 2009, 07:54 AM   #10
apr1775

My grandfather is also a Krag fan. He had one years ago and regreted getting rid of it. Over the past twenty years I've heard him talk about how it's the slickest, quickest rifle out there. Meanwhile the prices on Krags were steadily going up; may have been due to the hundred year mark of the Spanish-American War. He just couldn't bring himself off the money; grew up on a small farm during the depression and still has that money mindset. Anyhow I recently found a good deal on a sporterized Krag. He's looking forward when I bring it to him when we visit for the holidays. At 86 he's still very active, but I doubt he'll be shooting it a lot.

Ammo is not as easy to find as it once was. For the price of a couple boxes, I bought 50 rnds of new brass and a set of reloading dies.
Old September 16, 2009, 10:48 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Uhm....

That buttplate...

That buttplate is REALLY odd...

The only other one I've seen like it was on a relative rare FN-made version of the Browning Model 8 semi-automatic rifle, known as the Remington Model 8.

If that buttplate is what I think it might be, it probably has fairly substantial value to it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 18, 2009, 11:18 AM   #12
hunter33

Don't know much, but I know when you start changing things on them the value keeps going down. I got one that I've cleaned up and got it ready for the field. Was in the process of changing scopes in the pictures.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...Picture191.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...Picture181.jpg

Last edited by hunter33; September 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old September 18, 2009, 03:27 PM   #13
jdogric12

Hi everybody. Cool thread. I just signed up. This is my first post here. I recently got my first Krag, a '98 Model 1896, and I'm looking for those hen's teeth... aka 30-40 ammo. I'll check the advice posted here... any others? Thanks gang, Cheers, J
Old September 18, 2009, 06:24 PM   #14
30-30remchester

jdogric12 congradulations on your krag, I hope you dont change anything if it is original. There are getting fewer and fewer original military rifles. As stated earlier ANY change greatly reduces their collector value. You stated you had both a 1898 and a 1896 model, could you enlighten us as to which? Any photos would be appreciated. Ammo is quite commom both Remington and Federal still produce ammo so no problem there. I have "THE" book by Brouphy and if you need some details just ask.
Old September 19, 2009, 07:46 AM   #15
N.H. Yankee

Man I have owned so many Krag's it isn't funny. I used to buy all I could get hands on at a NH gun store and ruh them up to Kittery trading post in Maine and almost double my money. I had an original Krag carbine that would be worth some money today also. I love the loading gate and slick action. The only weak point is the single locking lug and some have cracked. You may want to have a gunsmith check the headspace and locking lug before firing it. My very first deer rifle was a 30-40 Krag and was for many years.
Old September 19, 2009, 08:40 AM   #16
sc928porsche

The old krag is great deer rifle. Plenty of power, slick action, and Sweet shooting. I still have mine that I purchaced in a gun shop back in 64. Most of my relatives still have theirs too. Ammo is a little hard to come by, but since I reload and keep 100 rnds of brass I dont have a problem.

I am certain that you will enjoy firing the old girl. She give mild recoil, but does have a deep roar to her. You will fall in love with her like so many others have.
Old September 19, 2009, 12:48 PM   #17
Buzzcook

Check the value of that old ammo before you shoot it. The ammo might be worth more than the gun.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/...96&s=968&stk=1

$28.97 for 20
Old September 19, 2009, 02:36 PM   #18
Bigfatts

Quote:
That buttplate is REALLY odd...

The only other one I've seen like it was on a relative rare FN-made version of the Browning Model 8 semi-automatic rifle, known as the Remington Model 8.
You know, I was thinking the same thing. You may want to see what those butt plates go for. Collectors will pay a premium for an original butt plate. Ask me how I know...
Old September 21, 2009, 06:03 PM   #19
beeker77

Another Krag

These Krags are great rifles. The highest compliment for another bolt action rifle is to describe it as, "...Almost as smooth as a Krag!" I've been reloading for this one for several years; the only way to go. This rifle has the 'Sergeant Peep' rear sight (aperture that swivels up to cover the rear 'V' notch).

If this target were scored, it would be a 100-5X. Not bad for a 110 year old rifle with a 62 year old shooter.
Old September 21, 2009, 06:19 PM   #20
Tom2

My dad has an original 98 from the Legion, that has not been fired since, perhaps the 40's. Turning patina but nice bore and not pitted or anything. I did buy a sporter once to try out. Bore was not perfect but it shot factory loaded ammo alright. I would not shoot old ammo at all in it. Sell the ammo to a collector or something. The factory loads I had were not loaded very warm so it should be safe to use factory loads as long as the gun has no cracks or defects. The receiver should be carefully inspected as well as the bolt for safety reasons. I am sure they were hardened like the "unsafe" low serial Springfields probably were. But the 06 is a much hotter round.
Old September 21, 2009, 06:23 PM   #21
bhannah

What you have

Quote:
Yah I figured the value would be affected by my Grandpa's tinkering.
No I think you have a pricless piece of family history in your hands. Don't change it in any way pass it down to your kids some day.
Old September 22, 2009, 09:32 PM   #22
Webologist

Krag Action

"Gun lust. You will wait a long time before you find a bolt action that is as fast and as slick as the Krag.
Pete"

Darkgael,

You aren't kidding. I have a Krag made in 1896 (unfortunately sporterized) but it looks like new and the action is as smooth as glass. I was shocked to cycle it after not oiling it for years alternately with my new Howa how much slicker the Krag is.

Regards,
w