The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 10, 2009, 11:15 AM   #1
darko

Rossi vs Puma lever 357

I am looking at a large loop, 16" 357 lever rifle for future purchase and am a bit confused. An online dealer has both a Rossi and Puma which appear to be exactly the same, but with a $60 difference, (Rossi is more). The only thing that I can determine to possibly be diffferent is the wood. The Rossi description reads "walnut" whereas the Puma simply reads "wood". Is there a difference between these two rifles? I was under the impression that Puma was made by Rossi? What is the scoop? Is Rossi better than Puma? Inquiring minds want to know.

28:06:42:12
Old September 10, 2009, 12:52 PM   #2
fast-eddie

Rifles

The only difference is possibly the wood, both are made by the same company.
Old September 10, 2009, 03:24 PM   #3
smee78

I thought Rossi is now owned by Taurus.
Old September 11, 2009, 05:58 PM   #4
awpk03s

Puma rifles made by Rossi were previously imported by Legacy Sports (LSI) and branded as "Puma M92". Now... Rossi makes their own 1892 rifles named M92. LSI still owns and imports "Puma" 1892 rifles, now made by Chiappa in Italy.

Look at the Puma, if it's a Rossi Mfg one it will say "Rossi" underneath the lever. If not, it's a Chiappa rifle.
Old September 11, 2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Uncle H

Rossi IS owned by Taurus.
Old September 11, 2009, 09:45 PM   #6
gak

Awpk03s is correct. The name was originally used by pre-Taurus Rossi in the 70s and 80s for awhile to denote their Model 92, then imported by Interarms. When that company ceased to exist, LSI (Legacy Sports) picked up import of the Rossi along with the name. Many people have since come to equate any Rossi-made 92 as a "Puma" though EMF and Navy Arms imported their own Rossis without the name for many years as well (actually with better sights on some variants (and, for awhile, no stupid/ambiguous safety)..

In 2008, when Taurus reintroduced the 92s with the Rossi name again up-front-and-center, LSI retained the Puma moniker and began importing the Italian (Chiappa/Armi Sport) 1892 instead--with genuine walnut by the way,...at a cost of course. All Rossi 92s are fine rifles but, other than Navy Arms for awhile, I doubt that any including the current Rossi batch use anything but the same ol' South American mystery wood. Not the new ones I've seen lately.

In addition to LSI, Cimarron and Taylors are distributing the Chiappas as well.

As a side note, the Italian-made "Trappers" are not the traditional round-barreled short (16") carbines but rather, oddly, just shortened "short rifles" (octagonal and no barrel bands, but still 16").

Most of the new "Pumas" you currently see advertised in great quantities are NOS (new-old-stock) LSIs still on the market. The more expensive Italian models have not yet reached market in anywhere near the number you see "Pumas" advertised. When you do see the Chiappas, you'll also notice by the $200-400 price difference of Italians over the Brazilian guns. New "Rossis" advertised without the Puma name (and probably some mis-advertised with) are just that--Rossi (Taurus) direct to dealer models. Same basic gun as the "old" LSI Puma.

You want a nice 92 trapper, look for a pre-safety (pre 06) EMF or Interarms-era model.

Last edited by gak; September 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old September 14, 2009, 11:35 AM   #7
darko

Thank you for the info. I placed the order through Buds last week and look forward to seeing the rifle in person when it arrives.

28:06:42:12