The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 7, 2009, 12:38 PM   #1
High Plains

.32 H&R Magnum ballistics

I have a new S&W 432PD, 2-inch barrel. In testing defense type loads, I recovered these two bullets--Georgia Arms 100 gr JHP .32 H&R magnum. From a distance of ten feet they both went through a 4.5 inch wet phone book, then two full one gallon ziplock bags. They were then dug out of around three inches of a dirt bank that was a foot behind the box. Pending accusition of a number of additional phone books for more uniform testing, I am looking for insights and comments regarding penetration and bullet upset on this test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bullets6793.jpg (252.9 KB, 67 views)
Old September 7, 2009, 03:46 PM   #2
gak

I have the 431 (hammer) variant and really like the Georgia loads. Both the little Smith and the much heavier/larger Ruger single six seem to like the GA round equally-for different purposes. I haven't tested ballistics, but your test sure seems to debunk any naysaying about penetration capability of the "little" .32 (similar to a thread posted in the rifle section 18 months back on the .30 Carbine). Maybe BillCA can weigh in here with some numbers.

Last edited by gak; September 7, 2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old September 7, 2009, 04:57 PM   #3
teraplanez

""From a distance of ten feet they both went through a 4.5 inch wet phone book, then two full one gallon ziplock bags. They were then dug out of around three inches of a dirt bank""

This experiment you did sure makes me feel good about my "LITTLE" Ruger Single-Six .32 H&R Magnum ! I knew I liked the feel of shooting it and its accuracy but now I know it has penetration power to SPARE ! You have also given me the low-down on the next box of ammo I'm going to look for at the Gun and Knife Show this weekend.
Thanks !
teraplanez
Old September 7, 2009, 10:49 PM   #4
rc

I believe a .22 LR solid will go through about 9 oil bottles filled with water. I don't know if your plastic bags are really a fair indicator of penetration.
Old September 8, 2009, 02:37 PM   #5
High Plains

Certainly it wasn't the most precise test. I plan on putting together a longer box and testing it solely on water bags, and then solely on phone books. New phone books come out next month--once they do, I'll collect some of the old discards and see what's what. Be that as it may, I was pleased to see that the little magnum punched through the one phone book that I used, and then some. Left a shredded exit hole in the back of the book sized a little bigger than a quarter, a little smaller than a half dollar.