The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 5, 2009, 08:10 AM   #1
nottelybill

trigger creep

I got a new 10/22 compact. Now I have worked all my triggers and have been satisfied but not on this one. This is my second 10/22. I put a new spring set from Wolff in it and polished the hammer and trigger which usually does the trick but it still has some creep. Since I haven't had this problem in the pass how do I eliminate the creep?
Old September 5, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
oregon-john

Go to rimfire central web site. They have all the info for a great DIY trigger. John
Old September 5, 2009, 09:21 PM   #3
drail

No disrespect intended here but if you don't know the answer to your question then you can easily end up with an unsafe mechanism. Removing the creep is not in itself that difficult but you will end up changing small dimensional relationships that the designer has carefully factored in with regard to tolerance stacking and reliabilty. I'm am not saying it can't be done but the usual result is that you'll have a great trigger but your safety will no longer function reliably. I would advise you to pay someone that knows what they are doing or take some gunsmithing classes so you understand how the mechanism works. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear. Please be careful when doing trigger work.
Old September 6, 2009, 06:10 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

You should check out smartflix.com. They have a ton of gunsmithing DVD's, several on trigger work and specifically ones for the 10/22.
Old September 6, 2009, 09:01 AM   #5
nottelybill

thanks guys but I found the answer. On the hammer there is a little rise in the trigger mating landing. Level it off, problem gone.
Old September 7, 2009, 07:19 PM   #6
oregon-john

I love the fact that you made it work the way you wanted. The only way to learn is to get the best information you can and get to it. Most of the parts for the Ruger are cheap to replace. John