The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
warman

Range Report: 9mm Ammo Brand Comparison

Went to the range today. Fired about 350 rounds. I used 4 different types of 9mm ammo. There was such a difference, I just wanted to pass it along in case anyone else wonders what type of 9mm ammo they want to use, at least for target shooting.

I started with these 4 types of ammo:

The boxes look like this:

I started with the Remington Green Box (115gr). Fired fine no jams, etc. Rather large target pattern with a couple shots way off.

Then I used the Fiocchi 115 grain (Blue Box). Fired fine no jams, etc. Louder and more recoil but tighter pattern without any strays, definitely felt like a hotter load. I felt like the velocity increase helped with the accuracy.

Next I fired the Fiocchi 130 grain (red box). Fired fine, no jams, funky smells, etc. Accuracy was ok. Not as hot a load, I could definitely feel the difference with a heavier bullet and lighter load. Had to adjust aim but pattern stayed pretty close.

Last I fired the Winchester 124 grain Winclean. No jams but all kinds of smoke, more of a sulfur smell (rotten eggs), very messy. My barrel ramp and area around look like a chimney with built up soot. Accuracy was terrible, pattern all over the place.

I had another box of Remington, so I fired it. Started having jams because of the Winchester garbage on the ramp area. Accuracy wasn't quite as good as the first box either.

My conclusions were:

The Fiocchi 115 grain was awesome. Felt like I might be shooting a +P round, definitely a hot load based on sound and recoil and accuracy was predictable - this was #1

The Fiocchi 130 was OK. Definite loss of velocity but I could still keep the shots somewhat close - #2

Remington 115 grain was fine. Didn't stink, velocity OK, accuracy fair - #3

Winchester 124 grain Winclean. This was terrible all around. Stunk like sulfur, huge smoke plumes compared to the others - really had to thoroughly clean my pistol afterward and it caused misfeeds on subsequent magazines. Would not recommend this cartridge at any price....

Hope this helps, I know we can't be picky with target ammo especially with the "shortage" going on, but I hope this helps someone looking for the best experience at the range...

Last edited by warman; September 4, 2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old September 4, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Magyar

I'm also a fan of Fiocchi when it's close bye, and not having to order it...I found your observations interesting....Good post...
Old September 4, 2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

I think your comparison is a great idea, but it may not hold true for other guns.

That has been my experience -- for some reason, some guns like some brands of ammo better than others. (Even the same models may not shoot the same ammo equally well.)

(On the other hand, I don't know of anybody who's really enthused about WINCLEAN...)
Old September 4, 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
warman

Walt Sherrill, great point. I tried to compare just the properties of each brand of ammo. Of course the accuracy would definitely depend on more than just the brand of ammo (ie shooter competency, gun type, etc), I mention Accuracy because I did notice a difference in what I felt was due to the brand of cartridge.

Some things would not vary by the type of gun like the smell, amount of smoke and deposits on the hardware so if people can just take that away from this, that's good enough...

Thanks for your input.
Old September 4, 2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Agreed. The GROSS CHARACTERISTICS (and sometimes they are gross) are certainly good to know. I don't like Wolf ammo because of the smell, for example.

I had a great experience with Fiocchi ammo in my CZs, but had a Beretta .40 that didn't like it worth a crap. In a friends Beretta .40, however, that gun was a tack driver. My .40 liked Blazer far better.

Even accuracy may vary from gun to gun, ditto extraction and feeding. There are some like the WINCLEAN you noticed, however, that are best left on the counter at the gun shop. Grime and smell tend not to vary, however -- and that WAS part of your report.
Old September 5, 2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Magyar

Let me tell you what I enjoyed about the OP . He was willing to go out and give his observations about certain brands of ammo. He didn't portend to make this a scientific or "this is the absolute" end of the subject...In a world where everyone like to take pot-shots or "sharp-shoot" every little thing: it takes courage...
I wish we could see more of these types of posts on gun forums. What nice about TFL is that no one purposely goes out to ridicule anyone...In my case, I know there have been ample examples to do so...
I agree with the other observations that various models & calibers might behave differently with certain ammo: but still credible info. Now you take Wolf ammo and it is........
The pics of the bullets really told a story. If he could have had a Speer in his category, you'd notice the spitzer-ogive which I really like...
Old September 5, 2009, 10:42 AM   #7
spleify

Thanks for the report and info. Very interesting.

BTW, what type of gun was this test done with?

Thanks
Old September 5, 2009, 11:12 AM   #8
magnum force

i just like the lighter 9mm's 115 to 124 grn for target practice. my buddies seem to prefer the flat point 147grns.

they're all good, just comes down to preference. i like the lighter ones for less recoil.

my favorite brands are probably the federal champion and sellior and bellot fmj's for target work.
Old September 5, 2009, 04:58 PM   #9
warman

Thanks for the kind words, like Magyar said, just my observations because I'm having to buy whatever brand comes around right now thought it would be a good time to compare and give my impressions.

spleify, this was fired from my Ruger P95PR - the only gun I own right now - lol.

Thank you again for the feedback...
Old September 5, 2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Rich Miranda

Great post, warman. Keep it up!

P.S. Your pics don't have to be 1200 pixels
Old September 5, 2009, 07:27 PM   #11
warman

theotherTexasRich, sorry about the image I go a little nuts with my Cannon (no pun intended)....
Old September 5, 2009, 07:58 PM   #12
madmag

Quote:
Then I used the Fiocchi 115 grain (Blue Box). Fired fine no jams, etc. Louder and more recoil but tighter pattern without any strays, definitely felt like a hotter load.
Fiocchi is loaded to NATO standards....hotter than SAAMI. I think you will find American Eagle and S&B on the NATO side also.

Good report. Thanks.
Old September 9, 2009, 12:53 PM   #13
mark_will

Great post thanks much!

I would agree.. I have shot all of the above through my XDm, and would agree with your findings.. not a big fan of the "white or green box".. but today who can be picky especally when you find them em at wallmart.

I have found that CCI blazer alum shot the best.. Blazer brass is okay.. but the alum seems the best of the range stuff i have found..
Old September 9, 2009, 01:13 PM   #14
YARDDOG(1)

Wal Mart is where I try to get all practice ammo It seems that federal has replaced Blazzer Brass, But for 8.97 you cant beat em. I also like Win. WB
when they have em PS GOOD READ
Old September 9, 2009, 01:38 PM   #15
warman

Thanks, mark_will for the input. I've never fired Blazer (mainly because the dealers around buy it up before I can get it from Wally World) but I'll have to try it.

One addendum, I went to the range today and shot just the 130 grain Fiocchi (the red box not any of the blue), the Remington and Winchester.
Previously I said that the 130 grain didn't seem like a hot load, well today it felt hotter than the other two for sure, it was hard to compare the 115 & 130 grain Fiocchi when shot closer together so this time I felt it and saw the result.
I think madmag was right about the NATO vs SAAMI standards.

Anyway it was fun and I would recommend the 130 grain Fiocchi (red box) as well as the 115 grain.

Glad you had a similar experience as I did mark_will.

BTW, here are some pics (taken from my iPhone) of my range, I know I have no pride but here are a couple of my target sprays, just keep in mind I was using 3 different kinds of ammo and using a one-handed side stance and a 2 handed stance not really trying to necessarily get the tightest pattern.
I am firing 1 shot every 2 seconds and to be honest, I'm still getting used to my sights ( I know excuses, excuses...lol) anyway had fun..

Old September 9, 2009, 03:51 PM   #16
Hard Ball

I have had very good luck with the Fiocchi 115 grain lload in several different pistols.
Old September 9, 2009, 04:02 PM   #17
chris in va

If you ever see a box of S&B range ammo, get it. Probably one of the best I've tried and has a nice extra kick to it. Pretty cheap too.