The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 2, 2009, 07:20 PM   #1
welnet

Is Marlin Firearms Dying?

I'm wondering about the life expectancy of Marlin Firearms. Late last year they announced the "New 1895SBL Model for 2009" which still is not readily available and now 2009 is almost over. Seems since they were bought by Remington in 2007 that production is either way down or non-existent. Go to Davidson's Gun Gallery (seems to be the primary distributor for Marlin) and look at the available models. The only things available are mostly off-caliber rifles which most likely have been on the shelf for quite awhile. All the online and local dealers I contact say they can't get the 1895SBL and have no idea if they will be able to get one - no projected production dates from Marlin. I hope they are not going under, I REALLY want one of the 1895SBL models, but not if I can't get warranty work due to no one left to ship it to If lack of product was due to selling as fast as they come out the door - then why no sales reports. Most of the forums are full of "wish I could get it, but can't find it" reports.

Anyone know what's going on with Marlin? I would hate to see these high quality firearms become a casualty of the economy......
Old September 2, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
zoomie

The SBL is already out for sale. Guys are giving range reports.

I'm not sure if you have to join to read, but in case not:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,49107.0.html
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,49173.0.html
Old September 2, 2009, 07:28 PM   #3
GONIF

I would hate to see them go ,I have never had a bad Marlin product.
Old September 2, 2009, 07:29 PM   #4
welnet

It is out for sale, in VERY limited quantity. But the point is it "seems" that there have not been many of any models rolling out recently.......
Old September 2, 2009, 08:55 PM   #5
sholling

I think Marlin like everyone else is selling everything they can produce.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:07 PM   #6
JWT

Don't seem to be in bad shape. Lots of different models available from them. 'Spect they'll be around for quite some time.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:54 PM   #7
.300 Weatherby Mag

All the marlin dealers I've been to in the last three months has had a good selection of guns... Rimfires, XL-7s, 336, 1894, 1895 etc... I've even handled a 1895SBL, but wasn't ready to drop the $980 on it..... Are they dying?? I think not....
Old September 2, 2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Dikran Yacoubian

I got an SBL about 3 weeks ago - I've been waiting since SHOT, and it finally came in. $899.

-- Dikran Yacoubian
Columbia, SC
Old September 3, 2009, 12:48 AM   #9
CraigC

This is how rumors get started....never a good thing.
Old September 3, 2009, 01:02 AM   #10
Skan21

I don't know, but I hope so! That way the first run .444 Marlin, that my uncle said I could have when he flunks Earth, will skyrocket in price. That way I can feel smug, and still not sell it to anyone! That thing is mint. He's shot about 50 rounds through it. After shooting it with a full power load, I know why. It hurts on both ends.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old September 3, 2009, 01:12 AM   #11
2DaMtns

I hope you're joking, Skan. If you are, please ignore the following, but I feel it is very uncool to hope that an entire American gun company will go under just so that the value of a firearm you own will go through the roof, especially considering you just said you'd never sell it. If you are that attached to it, then the monetary value doesn't matter. Whether it's worth $1 or $1,000,000, to you it would be priceless. Again, I hope you're joking, otherwise this is ridiculous.
Old September 3, 2009, 03:11 AM   #12
CajunBass

Of course he's joking. Did you even read all of what he wrote?

If they are the rifles they're making look as good or better than ever. Not usually a sign of a company that's struggling.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; September 3, 2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old September 3, 2009, 03:11 AM   #13
Skan21

Quote:
Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
There's your answer right there 2DaMtns.That's my signature. Of course I would care if Marlin went out of business. They own a piece of American firearms history.

Old September 3, 2009, 03:47 AM   #14
Gunsby_Blazen

Marlins are out but they sell so fast that it seems like there are none...
last month there was a 357 i was going to get. i looked at it the first day it came in and my local gun shop owner was putting it on the shelf. i was running late for other things i had to get done that day so i decided to come by early the next day to check it out and the sucker was gone in less than a day. Marlins sell like hotcakes, all of their guns. that is what i see anyway... now pumas and other leverguns dont sell quite so quick at the shop. come to think about it, i have only seen 2 Winchesters in the past couple years in the gun shop also.....
quality guns sell, thats what i got to say, and thats a good thing. as for the 1895sbl, one of the distributors at my club has a few for sale every now and then but they are selling fast. some in stock one day and then none the next; i think that speaks for what is going on. i am still looking for those stainless 1894c that are supposed to be out... they are sold out too from the distributor when i ask about inventory...
Old September 3, 2009, 04:43 AM   #15
JagFarlane

Somehow I doubt it. But finding one in .357 or .44 is a pain because they're very popular for the cowboy action shooters.
Old September 3, 2009, 06:04 AM   #16
Waterengineer

Is the OP trolling or is this a serious question?
Old September 3, 2009, 08:25 AM   #17
welnet

I don't know what "OP trolling" is, but before I spend around $900 on a rifle, I want to make sure the manufacturer will still be around if/when it needs warranty work. 6 months of watching for a specific model and also paying attention to availabilty of other models has me a little concerned. It seems the general concensus here is that I have nothing to worry about (other than keep waiting)

Last edited by welnet; September 3, 2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: add final comment
Old September 3, 2009, 11:14 AM   #18
Dr Raoul Duke

Is Marlin Firearms Dying?

If Marlin is dying, they must be doing it in style. I went to a Cowboy Action Match last Sunday and the boys from Rancho Cordova Guns and Ammo were there with their tent and had at least 10 Marlins for sale. The shoot was, as usual, 75% Marlins against all other comers. I have five Marlins (2 .44 Mag, 1 .45 Colt, 1 .45-70 and one .22 LR) and if I want to buy another lever action rifle it will be a Marlin.

Dr. Raoul Duke
Gonzo Forever
Old September 3, 2009, 11:27 AM   #19
moosemike

Marlins' doing great especially since there are no more Win 94's being made. Their only competition is Mossbergs goofy lever action attempt.
Old September 3, 2009, 02:02 PM   #20
gb_in_ga

Quote:
Marlins' doing great especially since there are no more Win 94's being made.
IMHO, this is true. If it came down to it, they could do quite well just focusing on making 336's. They sell 'em as fast as they can make them as it is, and that isn't showing any signs of changing any time soon.
Old September 3, 2009, 02:17 PM   #21
SeekHer

From The Firearms Blog

Quote:
Cerberus are in big trouble!
ZeroHedge via. WSJ report that investors in the Cerberus hedge fund want out.

Quote:
Cerberus Capital Management has been swamped with redemption requests with the Wall Street Journal reporting that investors are asking to pull out $5.5 billion or 71 percent of assets from its hedge funds.

Cerberus last month tried to entice investors into staying with the firm, but found that its clients overwhelmingly wanted to leave, the newspaper reported.

Last year, when the average hedge fund lost 19 percent, Partners lost 24.5 percent on investments.

I am not sure how this is going to effect the other assets owned by Cerberus. According to Wikipedia Cerberus have $24 billion in assets.

Among their assets is the Freedom Group which owns Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin and other gun manufacturers.

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old September 3, 2009, 02:23 PM   #22
azredhawk44

Cerberus must have some losing ventures elsewhere than firearms that got hurt big-time, then.

Anyone running a firearms company into a 25% loss over the last year needs to be shot, hanged, horse-whipped, keel-hauled then shot again for good measure.

(Sportsman's Warehouse, anyone?)
Old September 3, 2009, 02:47 PM   #23
csmsss

Quote:
Cerberus must have some losing ventures elsewhere than firearms that got hurt big-time, then.
Sure do - can you say Chrysler? Before the bailout and bankruptcy, Cerberus was the 80% majority shareholder of Chrysler Corporation.

Last edited by csmsss; September 3, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old September 3, 2009, 04:29 PM   #24
Willie D

Someone on another board tried to get a 918t special ordered to a Walmart and apparently Marlin told Walmart they were "out of stock". No 'we'll have a few in a month", etc.
Old September 3, 2009, 04:40 PM   #25
Micropterus

Quote:
Marlins are out but they sell so fast that it seems like there are none...
Agreed. A high quality, affordable gun has been a hot commodity recently. I've checked several local shops for a simple Marlin Model 60 SS and ended up having BPS ship one from Georgia. No one can keep them on the shelves.

Tags
1895sbl , marlin