The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 31, 2009, 10:43 PM   #1
greyson97

need help selecting .22lr high velocity ammo

I like to save money. and one of the things to do is shoot 22. I'm thinking of getting one of those GSG .22lr AK. they are about $20 cheaper than a "real" Century arms Ak-47 for $470. the gsg being $450. But the thing about the GSG .22 ak is that it requires High Velocity .22lr ammo. Now I know thats not standard, but theres all sorts of .22lr ammo like, hornet, stinger, super-x, high velocity, hyper velocity, etc.

I just want the cheapest ammo that will make the gun cycle, that i can shoot the most.

I'd like cost effective recommendations for .22lr ammo that will make my gun cycle properly

As a comparison, I can get an 7.62 x 39 ak for $470 and 1k rounds of 7.62 wolf for $260
so the rifle is $450, and id like the ammo to be AT MOST $130 for 1k. Is that possible?

I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

oh yeah, also, if i get a real AK, i have to shoot it at the rifle range, meaning, bench rest under a low awning. If I get the .22lr AK, i can shoot it at the pistol range standing up, and at the 50 yard rifle range.

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old August 31, 2009, 10:48 PM   #2
JerseyDrez

Why do you have to shoot the real Ak sitting down? That sucks. Well doesnt suck, but its more fun standing up..at least for me.

I have the Gsg made by ATI. I looked at the Ak a few days ago, it feels much different than the Gsg....its ok. Personally I dont think it looks that much like an Ak, but Im sure its just as fun as the Gsg.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Oh, I never got to ask...you NEED to shoot HV ammo through the ATI Ak? Thats odd. I thought you can shoot regular mini mags and such.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old August 31, 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

You can get bulk CCI Stingers from Cabelas for $69.99 per 500 plus shipping.

If it were me, I'd try a bunch of stuff that's commonly available to see what works.

Just because the gun "requires" high velocity ammo may not mean that it actually does. Try the cheap bulk stuff and see if it functions correctly.

No matter what you pay for 22 ammo, it will always be FAR, FAR cheaper than anything else.

If I was a bettin' man , I'd bet CCI Mini-mags would cycle that gun just fine. Won't know until you try.... and you can get 1000 rounds of Mini-mags for $70.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 31, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old August 31, 2009, 10:55 PM   #4
LHB1

High Velocity .22 LR is what most of us think of as normal .22 LR such as Win HV, CCI MiniMag, Rem HV, etc. Standard Velocity is reduced velocity (below speed of sound) ammo primarily intended for target work. Hyper Velocity ammo is stuff like the Stingers.
Old August 31, 2009, 11:08 PM   #5
greyson97

Jersey. I dont have access to open land, so i have to go to a range, and the range i go to, all rifles are shot from bench rest position.

LHB1: THANKS! I just looked on my $16 box of Remington 525 Golden Bullet Value Pack, and it has a 1280 FPS at muzzle, which is still lower than the 1400 Standard wikipedia states HV bullets are at, but in barely legible black letters on a green background, it says 525 High Velocity Rimfire cartridges. So that counts right?

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old August 31, 2009, 11:29 PM   #6
CraigC

Quote:
High Velocity .22 LR is what most of us think of as normal .22 LR such as Win HV, CCI MiniMag, Rem HV, etc. Standard Velocity is reduced velocity (below speed of sound) ammo primarily intended for target work. Hyper Velocity ammo is stuff like the Stingers.
What he said. "High velocity" is typically rated at 1200-1300fps. Most bulk ammo is high velocity, some higher than others. Most your standard velocity or target ammo is around 1000-1100fps. Stingers, Vipers, Yellow Jackets, etc. are what's commonly called "hyper velocity" and typically fly at 1400fps or more. So no, you do not have to run the expensive hyper velocity ammo through your rifle, just common high velocity. I'd get a brick apiece of all the available bulk ammo and see which it likes best. I find that Remington has a bit more oomph than Federal, which can be a factor in some guns. For example, my Kimber with Ceiner conversion won't run with Federal but does fine with Remington GB's.

Last edited by CraigC; August 31, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old August 31, 2009, 11:49 PM   #7
LHB1

Quote: "I just looked on my $16 box of Remington 525 Golden Bullet Value Pack, and it has a 1280 FPS at muzzle, which is still lower than the 1400 Standard wikipedia states HV bullets are at, "

Yes, that is High Velocity ammo. I disagree with Wikipedia. To me, 1400 fps sounds like Hyper Velocity. Most of the normal HV stuff runs more like 1200-1300 fps IMO as Craig posted.
Old August 31, 2009, 11:55 PM   #8
JerseyDrez

Damn, that sucks that its mandatory to shoot from a bench rest position.

I only go to public ranges also, but its not mandatory.

For once, Jersey prevails! Haha.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old September 1, 2009, 05:32 AM   #9
darkgael

s of s

Quote:
Standard Velocity is reduced velocity (below speed of sound) ammo
Close. Generally SV ammo is at the speed of sound - about 1100-1150 fps depending on temperature and altitude (1100 fps at sea level/59 deg. F and 29.92" pressure). Below that, like Federal's old 711B ammo at 1080 fps or other .22s at 1050 fps, are frequently labeled subsonic. Some manufacturers label their ammo subsonic even at 1150fps. Wonder where they test it.
There is a great range of velocities in any given category; some subsonic ammo will run my semi-autos and some won't. The same is true of certain SV ammo selections.
The advice to test a few is well taken.
Pete
Old September 1, 2009, 08:45 AM   #10
L_Killkenny

"High Velocity" is the norm in .22LR ammo these days. Mini-mags, Federal Bulk, Winchester Bulk etc. are all "high velocity"

Get a Ruger 10/22 instead. You're wasting an extra $200+ on a gun that won't be as reliable, won't be as accurate, doesn't have aftermarket support and is generally one ugly gun. Why anyone would want a .22LR AK is besides me. :barf:

LK
Old September 1, 2009, 09:06 AM   #11
DMZX

For a GSG5 Fed bulk, Rem GB, CCI Mini Mags all work great. As does the hyper vel' stuff (Stingers, Yellow Jackets, Vipers,Sptifires, Aguila Super Max.

Stay away from the Win bulk and especially Wildcats.
Old September 1, 2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

What counts is the energy you generated with your particular load to operate the action. You will need higher velocity with a hyper velocity conical or HP 32 gr bullet than you do with a 38 or 40 gr bullet. Anything over 1100fps in a 40 gr bullet will most likely work, now the question is will it feed in your gun because some guns will not accept some bullets.

Grab a box of 50 of various brands and types and experiment, your gun will shoot several well and like a couple of them accuracy wise and thats what you want in bulk.

You don't want to know everything I have tried but now I am down to 2, Remington Golden bullet for plinking and anything 50 yards and under and Winchester Super X for 100 yard and longer shooting. First is cheap but satisfactory and the second is pricey but works for my applications in every 22 caliber gun I have.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 1, 2009, 06:03 PM   #13
cryogenic419

I use these ones...CCI Velocitor...they are beasts...everything I put them through cycles wonderfully and brass ejects pretty far considering its 22lr.

Put it through a Sig Mosquito, Ruger 10/22, and GSG-5 standard. Worked good for me.