The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 5, 2009, 01:03 PM   #1
HankC1

Small ring mauser trigger locking feature

In small ring mausers, when trigger pulled, there is a locking feature to raise a 'dog" to engage in a slot on bolt to lock bolt from rotation. This feature is dropped in large ring 98 Muasers. Why is this feature needed in small ring mausers? I am building a sporterized small ring mauser and want to put an aftermarket trigger and they do not have such feature in their triggers. Is there any safety concern without such feature? I don't really mind the original trigger, but just want to take advantage of the side safety, so I can put a scope. The cost of BOLD Trigger is about the same as a low swing safety. Thanks.

Hank
Old September 5, 2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

As I recall, this feature was an additional method of insuring the cock-on-closing small ring bolt wouldn't accidental pop open.

If you cock the small ring bolt, and lift the handle, the spring pressure will pop the bolt open.
The lug system locked the bolt closed during actual firing.
I don't think this is necessary on a sporterized rifle, and it wasn't needed on the cock-on-opening 98 Mauser.
Old September 5, 2009, 10:36 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The idea is not really to keep the bolt from opening or the rifle from firing if the bolt is not fully locked. The latter will not happen because the firing pin retraction cam will prevent it. What the trigger interlock does is to signal the soldier that the bolt is not locked. He can then just tap the bolt handle down. Other cock-on-closing rifles (e.g., Model 1917, Arisaka) have the same feature.

If the trigger interlock were not present, the firing pin would drop to the retract stop and the soldier would have to recock the firing pin (impossible or difficult on most rifles) or operate the bolt to resume firing.

While seconds might matter in combat, that would rarely if ever be the case in civilian use, and the trigger interlock should not be needed in a sporting rifle.

Jim

Last edited by James K; September 5, 2009 at 10:42 PM.