The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 30, 2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Lucky13

Ruger P95 vs SpringField XD9 4 inch

For the past few months I've been searching and saving up for a new hand gun. Well I finally narrowed it down between 2 guns. The Ruger P95 stainless and the Springfield XD9 4 inch stainless. Both will serve my purpose ( CC, HD, and range fun ) and money is not the issue, I am just torn on a few of the features. I'm not a big fan of trigger safeties but the fact that the XD has a beaver tail safety as well helps in my mind. I have been kinda swaying towards the Ruger since I really like the idea of a decocker and DA/SA setup, but for some reason I keep coming back to the XD. Both point very well in my mind and the grips are perfect length for me, but I'm just not sure. I was just wanting to know what you guys think about the 2 guns and hear some of yalls' pros and cons.

Also the fact that I can't find a good IWB holster for the Ruger bothers me, any one know where to get one?
Old August 30, 2009, 04:31 PM   #2
hdawson228

Go with the Springfield XD or XDm. Excellent piece. Sold my XD to move to the XDm. No company has a better reputation for customer service than Springfield. And a great custom shop. Very high quality handgun. Here's the torture test done right after the XD came out.

http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
Old August 30, 2009, 04:47 PM   #3
IdahoG36

Out of those two choices, I would go witht the XD. The Ruger P95 is an excellent gun, but I like the XD more than the P95.
Old August 30, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
ESI Agent

I have had both. Sold the xd kept the Ruger P95. Both are good guns and both have a life time warranty. Their is no perfect gun, the mission determines the equipment and for home defense I like a safety. I also like buying guns made in the U.S. by Americans. The XD is made in Coatia and imported in the country by Springfield. The Ruger will do the same job of all the other higher priced models but do it for less.
Old August 30, 2009, 07:52 PM   #5
YARDDOG(1)

A Big price differ between thr two P95 will do anything XD will @ $200 less
Old August 30, 2009, 09:17 PM   #6
9x19

Having owned both, I think the Ruger is the better value.

I sold the XD a good while back, but haven't been without a KP95 in the stable since their introduction.

Here's the most recent:

Old August 30, 2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Beentown71

Have both and still do...

I prefer the XD. The 95 is a loaner gun My XD's are my favorite all around handgun family. I prefer the safeties...or lack there of. I have many 9mm's and the XD's service always goes with me to shoot. Heck it is almost always with me since it is also my carry firearm. Since we all love pics...

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old August 30, 2009, 09:56 PM   #8
Crankylove

I would go with the P95. My brother's is probably the most reliable handgun I have seen. It shoots well, is much better priced, and there is a reason I can't find any used P-series Rugers in my area.......nobody that has one wants to part with it.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:02 PM   #9
ken613

Both are great. If there's anything you don't like about one of them, then pick the other one. You'll spend a lot of time with your cc gun. If there's something you don't like, then every morning when you strap it on (or tuck it) then you'll say, "Man I wish I'd got the _________."

My personal taste is for the XD. I've got the XD in 357 Sig. it has been flawless each and everytime I've put it to work. Also, there's tons of options out there as far as holsters go.

Ken
Old August 30, 2009, 10:12 PM   #10
ESI Agent

I have the first generation and second generation. The new blued generation has a nice tactical look not that looks effect the performance. I have a firing log book recording my range dates , score and amount of rounds including stoppages if any. My extracter broke at 19,650 rounds. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed the problem and put in a new barral and paid for shipping which made me a very happy Ruger owner. Their are alot of nice guns on the market and most are very good firearms . if a company put out substandard product they would be out of business. So get what makes you happy and be safe.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:51 PM   #11
rugerfreak

Never been a fan of the XD's------Get the Ruger---with the money saved vs a XD---go get a spare back-up P95.
Old August 31, 2009, 07:38 AM   #12
Philo_Beddoe
Multiply registered, multiply banned troll.

I am in the process of selling my P95 as I dont like double action guns with de-cockers, otherwise its been perfect.
Old August 31, 2009, 08:31 AM   #13
ejfalvo

I've owned both, sold the Ruger, kept the XD. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, the XD just fit my hand better. Bought the Ruger in 1999 - had close to 10 years of flawless shooting with 1000s of rounds thru it. Not one problem. Bought the XD about 3 years ago and have put about 1000 rounds thru it - with no problem.

I kept the XD simply because it fit my hand better, point of aim came up with no problem, natural grip feel. If possible - try both out. IMHO thats the best way to decide.
Old January 23, 2010, 11:24 PM   #14
K8vf

Ruger p95

I have no experience with the other gun, but the Ruger p95 in Decocker only is what I own.

It works fine, shoots well and I have carried it in a holster an in the pants with a cordura clip job. No problems there at all.

Play with it a bit.

It is a bit large for MY hand, but I have small hands, even though I am 6'1" and 225lbs.
For example, I cannot thumb cock the gun one handed...no big deal, really as it is double action.

I put a Handall on mine and it made all the difference in the world in my control of the weapon.

I own a Blackhawk 3 screw , 3 10/22's, a Mark II, the p95 and a Gp100 4".

But I own other manufacturers, too.

I have been happy with my p95.

mark
Old January 24, 2010, 12:00 AM   #15
ESI Agent

Springfield XD made in Croatia and imported to the United States. Life time warranty.
Ruger P95 Made in the U.S. by Americans. Life time warranty.

A long long time ago in a place called the United States when America had the highest standard of living Americans bought product that they made. Now we wonder why we have a lack of jobs.If you talk the talk you should walk the walk.
Old January 24, 2010, 03:11 AM   #16
Hellbilly5000

In my opinion both are two of the most reliable guns ever made as far as a semi goes. Both have plus's and minus's. From experince a p95 is a pain to ccw due to weight and size (disclaimer I own a p95 and in the Texas heat in the summer it's a pain to carry)
Old January 24, 2010, 03:29 AM   #17
dalendenver

XD

By now you have probably made your choice and purchased your gun. I started out to buy a P95, have owned Rugers forever. I handled one, then a Glock - much better feel, then a XD - felt like coming home. The XD felt like it was made for my hand, pointed very naturally. I bought an XD40. Then the XDm came out so now I have one of those too. Buy what fits your hand, you will shoot it more if it is comfortable to you.
Old January 24, 2010, 08:45 AM   #18
Orion6

I think the P95 is an excellent value. And the new, stippled grips and rail make it even better.

I actually prefer the grip to a Glock.
Old January 24, 2010, 09:15 AM   #19
stargazer65

Quote:
I kept the XD simply because it fit my hand better, point of aim came up with no problem, natural grip feel.
2nd that!

Haven't had the Ruger but I have the XD9 4" service model and it has a real nice feel. Easy to shoot, you will definitely like it.
Old January 24, 2010, 09:39 AM   #20
Taurus_9mm

I like both and don't think you could go wrong with either one. The Ruger does have a price point advantage though and I've seen them advertised under $300. I'd suggest the same as rugerfreak, buy 2 P95s - or one P95 plus extra magazines and ammunition.