The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 30, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1
P99AS9

Norinco SKS

A buddy of mine is trying to unload a Norinco SKS. I went to his house to look at it, and it seemed like it was in new condition. He told me it was given to him by a friend of his, and that it was unfired. He told me that if I wanted it I should offer him a price. I may be interested in it, but first I have a few questions. Is the Norinco made SKS a solid, accurate rifle? Is it well made compared to other SKS's? What would be a reasonable price to offer him. BTW, it's the type that uses detachable mags, and it doesnt have a bayonet.

Last edited by P99AS9; August 30, 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old August 30, 2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Inspector3711

The Norinco is a fine Chinese made SKS. The only drawbacks with Chinese SKS's are that during some years they pinned the barrels on instead of using threads, they tended to use softer woods so they dent more easily, and some years they used a sheet metal receiver.

On the plus side, the sheet metal models aren't as durable, but they are rarer so command higher value. Also they made an M model for a couple of years which was fitted with the detachable AK-47 magazine. Those are both high dollar rifles in the SKS market.

Yooper John's has lots of SKS info:

http://www.yooperj.com/

You can also join Survivors SKS forum.

I wouldn't hestitate to buy a Norinco if the price was right.
Old August 30, 2009, 06:55 PM   #3
srt 10 jimbo

I bought my Norinco about 6 months ago for $350 , got 3 different Stocks for It and 2 30 round and 2 20 round magazines. It's a fun gun ammo is pretty cheap( Brown Bear 7.62x39) and theres alot you can do to change it to your specific needs. go for it.
Old August 30, 2009, 07:26 PM   #4
P99AS9

Another thing I noticed: The SKS he showed me accepted detachable magazines, but not AK magazines like the Chinese "M" model. The mags look like this:

But most SKS's I see have the undetachable magazines, like this one:

What's going on here?
Old August 31, 2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Jeff H

The fixed mag can easialy be removed. Just pull out the trigger group then pull out the fixed mag, then reinsert the trigger group and viola, you are ready to use those types of removable mags. Just be wary, as I have read many complaints about various brands of mags jamming, that the only ones I buy are the 20 round Tapco mags. They haven't jammed on me yet and get great reviews form other shooters.

Changing from fixed to removable mags is so simple that I did it out at the range yesterday to burn through a couple of loaded mags, then I put the fixed one back in for the stripper clips. Only tool you need is a bullet to push the pin down.
Old August 31, 2009, 08:55 AM   #6
a7mmnut

I have a Norinco 16" Paratrooper with detachable mags. It is 100% reliable with all but one mag. It is a National Magazines brand, with thin, cheap sheet metal, and should be avoided at all costs. The Tapco's are easy to manipulate, as are some of my Chinese and Russian steel mags. You may have to use a file around sharp corners and feed lips a little. Make sure you get the guy to give you the factory mag with the gun. In time, you'll probably want to try stripper clips to avoid the detachable mags' hassles.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...2&d=1235876568

-7-
Old August 31, 2009, 09:04 AM   #7
Dood_22

Quote:
The SKS he showed me accepted detachable magazines, but not AK magazines like the Chinese "M" model.
That's easy to fix and I would fix it. Ask him if he still has the original magazine. They are much better made and more reliable.

Check on Gunbroker, but I'd be inclined to offer $175-200.
Old August 31, 2009, 09:44 AM   #8
P99AS9

Great, thanks for the information ! Could someone now point me to where I could purchase a fixed SKS magazine?
Old August 31, 2009, 09:50 AM   #9
srt 10 jimbo

I had trouble with the steel Magazines on my Norinco. It loves the Tapco polymore 20 round magazines.
Old August 31, 2009, 09:52 AM   #10
Come and take it.

Chinese made SKSs are the best of all the SKSs. They have fully lined Chambers and barrels and have an unmatched reputation for reliablity with their default magazine.
Old August 31, 2009, 09:58 AM   #11
41er

P99AS9, look at Cheaper than Dirt, Natchez Shooters Supply, or any other company that sells military surplus. When I had my FFL, I sold dozens of SKSs. They are a good gun, they shoot good, and won't break the bank on ammo. I've had pinned and threaded barrels and I never saw any difference in accuracy between the two. I suppose after a while the pinned barrel may tend to loosen up but one I have, with a pinned barrel, has had probably 5k rounds shot thru it and it's just as good as the day I got it. Removing those "removable" mags is a hassle but you can make it work pretty fast once you get used to it. Always be SURE that the firing pin/bolt stays clean because there is no return spring on the firing pin and if the firing pin gets stuck in the out position, the gun could slam fire and unload the clip with a full auto burst when you drop the bolt. I've never had this happen but I know of people who have. Normal cleaning will ensure this doesn't happen to you. Hope this helps.
Old August 31, 2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Willie Lowman

In my experience, the fixed 10 round mag is easier to load with stripper clips than thumbing single rounds into a detachable.
Old August 31, 2009, 01:44 PM   #13
P99AS9

I can't find any hinged, non-detachable SKS magazines online other than on gunbroker.
Old August 31, 2009, 02:06 PM   #14
BillC.

russian vs china

I have a russian sks, my brother in law a chinese made sks. Both go bang when the trigger is pulled. Beyond that the Russian made sks is better in almost every way and will out shoot the chinese with the same ammo every time. No comparison, way better trigger,wood,finish, and machining. We have had them quite a while, both have had several thousand rounds shot. The Russian is noticeably tighter.

Both are tons of fun plinkers. Got mine back when Russian sks's were selling for $110 at the local shop, he paid $85 for the chinese sks new, ammo $65 a ham can. Ahh the good old days
Old August 31, 2009, 02:11 PM   #15
Skans

I sold an older SKS that I had acquired a couple of years ago for $200 at a gun show. It did have the bayonet, was in nice condition and I believe I determined it was manufactured in the late '50's.