The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 25, 2009, 01:56 PM   #1
bigcountry

remington 760

I recently acquired a 1950s era remington 760 gamemaster 300 savage pump w/an original carl zeiss scope. Thinking of putting a nikon buckmaster 3x9 40 on in its place. wondering if anybody knows if the scope would be worth anything and where I could find out what it is worth. Any thoughts on the gun itself.

Last edited by bigcountry; August 25, 2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old August 25, 2009, 03:05 PM   #2
taylorce1

An original Zeiss scope is probably worth more than the rifle. If it has clear glass and repeatable movements I'd probably leave the scope on the rifle. It should be superior to a Buckmaster scope probably on par with the Monarchs of today. If it needs repair find an authorized Zeiss repair center and get it fixed and then put it back on that rifle. Even back in the day I'm sure that scope was at least as expensive as the rifle if not a bit more.

Last edited by taylorce1; August 26, 2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 25, 2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Jack O'Conner

The early years had more drop at heel for use with iron sights. Stocks were plain, too. Not that plain is bad or unserviceable. Sometimes the front stock is referred to as "corncob" grip.

760 went through many changes. Most changes were related to stock design, checkering style, and iron sights. If I can find any fault with the 760 is the magazine clip. It's not nearly as easy to insert or remove as the newer 7600 model. These magazine clips are not interchangeable.

I have a resource book that has Remington production figures and a table of serial numbers by year. I'll look up info for you as a favor - simply share first three numbers of serial number.

The scope may or may not sell well. You should contact Mike or Mark at First Stop Gun Shop for fair price value info: 605-341-5211

I'll close with this opinion. Remington slide action action rifles are very accurate and are made to hunt. They'll last at least a lifetime with routine maintenance. They're not for everyone - that's why so many other actions types are built. 300 Savage kills elk just as effectively as 30-06 out to about 200 yards or so. But beyond this distance, the faster 30-06 holds its energy a little better. My Dad (1922 - 2004) killed dozens of elk with his Savage lever action in 300. It's a KEEPER!

Good hunting to you.
Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; August 25, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old August 26, 2009, 07:26 AM   #4
Doyle

My favorite rifle is my 760 BDL in 30-06. It is beautiful and as accurate as any bolt action I've ever owned. However, it is too pretty. I'm always afraid to scratch it up so it doesn't get much hunting love.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:14 AM   #5
GeauxTide

Don't mess with a Classic

Rifle, caliber, and scope are priceless. Leave them be.
Old August 26, 2009, 11:53 AM   #6
farmall

Maybe I'm just sentimental, but if the rifle and scope have been together for this long, it'd be wrong to seperate them now.
I couldn't do it.

Andy
Old August 26, 2009, 01:57 PM   #7
bigcountry

problem I am having is figuring out how the operations of the scope work
have been looking at other posts and it appears as if the scope is a pre-WWII german sniper scope it is a Zeiss Zielever serial number nr.78408
Jack O I will get that number tonight would be very interested to know when it was built.
This gun was bought by my grandfather for my dad then handed down to me. Just getting back into hunting after 15 years and do not want ot spend a bunch of money on a new gun right now.
Shot the gun this weekend and it was shooting 2 ft right
Old August 26, 2009, 02:59 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

Zeiss makes superb scope glass. It may not have all the latest coatings that modern scopes have, but it is a real classic and top quality for its time. I would make every effort to figure out the scope operations and keep them together. We still have my Dad's Rem 760 from about 1960 and it is very accurate. It just has a Bushnell Banner 3x9 on it but holds zero and has been throw numerous snow and rain storms and up and down some rough mountain ranges.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old August 27, 2009, 06:55 AM   #9
bigcountry

serial #

Jack O the only number I found on the gun started with 189 hope this helps
thanks
Old August 27, 2009, 08:34 PM   #10
Jack O'Conner

Hold the rifle so the the ejection port is facing away from you.

Stamped into the barrel you will find the following:

There should be a symbol - followed by two or three upper case letters - followed by two numbers.

The two or three upper case letters will tell me year and month of assembly.

EXPLANATION: The symbol is the final inspector's stamp. The two numbers are assembler's code. If you see a letter inside a triangle, this is the magnaflux stamp.

I only need the two or three upper case letters described above to complete your report.

INTERESTING FACTS from Eugene Myszkowski book
The 760 was produced in 300 Savage 1952 - 1958.
41,751 : total production in 300 Savage
Model A and ADL are most commonly found. But only 38 BDL were produced 1953 - 1957.
Jack