The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 25, 2009, 05:25 AM   #1
GringoGrande

What is the smallest semi-auto pistol made?

Does anyone have any idea what the smallest semi-auto pistol currently (with-in the last 20 years) made and avail commercially regardless of caliber?

I was thinking the entire Colt Jr family of .25's, like the titan, browning and the imposters of them. Maybe even the Walther TP/TPH family?

I am not looking for a "Do they work or not" discussion, just the model, caliber and make of what you feel is the smallest one made. If you have pictures, even better
Old August 25, 2009, 05:34 AM   #2
rantingredneck

Not entirely sure, but I think the Seecamp .32/.380 probably has a good shot at being the smallest dimensionally. The Keltec P32/P3AT, Ruger LCP is probably lighter though.........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old August 25, 2009, 06:59 AM   #3
PSP

The smallest I'm aware of is the Precision Small Arms, (PSA), Baby Browning currently in production. Smaller than the Seecamp and TPH, it is a truely tiny handgun.
See them here;
http://www.precisionsmallarms.com/
Old August 25, 2009, 09:46 AM   #4
GringoGrande

Wow, that PSA, each one is hand made, . starts at $575 and goes to $7500. Cool lil Browning remake though.

I have an orig lil baby browning in rough condition (no blue left and all patina,) no pits and barrel is slightly dark, but still shoots well.

I really like that TP/TPH, lil baby PPK look a like, the one I have is a 5mm Kurtz/Folbert (basically .22 short), it is so easy to jack the slide that you can do it with just your thumb while gripping the gun.

I read somewhere there is a 3mm rim fire semi-auto, made in Europe, about the size of a zippo lighter, would love to find one here in the USA. I think they were French or Belgium.
Old August 25, 2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Nightowl

My little Beretta 950 .25 auto is pretty small.
Always - Safety First!
Old August 25, 2009, 11:17 AM   #6
David the Gnome

The world's smallest semi-automatic pistol is produced by a company called Kolibri and comes in 2.7mm or 3mm calibers. Total weight is 2.5 ounces.

Here it is next to a 45ACP round for size comparison:

Old August 25, 2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Rammed

I have 2 Galesi's. One 25cal.and one 22 short. They are pretty small. They dissapear in my pocket.
Old August 25, 2009, 02:15 PM   #8
GringoGrande

Bows to Davide the Gnome

David, that was exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if that is currently made? If so, where? I knew it was 3mm and I have seen the 3mm pinfire revolvers, I just knew there had to be a semi-auto. THANK YOU !!

Fantastic collection of firearms as well there.

I found one of these at Gunbroker.com, Gold Engraved version with the lil purse holster, close to $19,000.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=137735229

Last edited by GringoGrande; August 25, 2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added gunbroker listing
Old August 25, 2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

The Kolibri has not been made in 75 years, at least.
Here is a list of tiny semis:
Bernardelli VP or "Baby" in .25 or .22 short/long
Browning/Bauer/PSA .25
Unique "Mikros" in .22 short or .25
Walther model 9, .25
Star also made a tiny .25 don't remember model.

None of these except the PSA is currently available new in the US.
The Astra/Colt, Llama, Galesi/Rigarmi/Sterling, Beretta guns are bigger than all of the above.
Old August 25, 2009, 11:01 PM   #10
bignz

Not a fan of the safety practices here... but it's a small pistol. I bet a mosquito would do as much harm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fBcsLsILx0
Old August 26, 2009, 04:22 AM   #11
darkgael

small

The little PSA is about as small as you'll find in current production. Baby Browning clones are generally available (well, maybe not "generally" but they are around). I bought my Bernardelli 68 used - a twin of the PSA.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old August 26, 2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Piper Cub

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg
Old August 26, 2009, 06:14 PM   #13
darkgael

Chart

That is a nice chart to have on file.
The PSA/Bernardelli/ Baby Browning .25s are yet smaller, I believe. Seecamp/NAA Guardian come the closest.
Pete
Old August 26, 2009, 06:21 PM   #14
Tom2

I have had a baby browning, and also a bauer stainless clone of one. As I recall they both worked fine, especially the real browning version, but there ain't much gun there to hold onto, and I suspect someone with smaller hands might find it more manageable, but it is not like the recoil from the .25 is a problem, even in that gun with a couple fingers to retain it in hand. I tried a NAA(?) mini revolver once and that is really even worse to manage, with the thumb cocking required, etc.
Old August 26, 2009, 08:37 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

Darkgael
You must not be in the US, as the Bernardelli '68 was not imported, to my knowledge. The Bernardellis are closer to a copy of the Walther Model 9 than the Browning.
Old August 27, 2009, 05:18 AM   #16
darkgael

Hi.

Bill: Smile. I am in the USA. All my life. As it turns out, your post made me look harder at what I have. It may well be a VP, though I am hard pressed to tell the difference looking at pictures. I bought it, used, at a gun shop in Hughesville, PA about five years ago. Go figure.
I'm familiar with the Walther model 9 only by pictures. Gosh, they look the same but so do they when compared to the PSA .25 and a "real" Baby Browning. I'd probably have to hold them to tell the difference. Found this pic of the VP (good for scale also) [IMG][/IMG]
In any case - we are off topic at this point.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; August 27, 2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:50 AM   #17
GringoGrande

This was a great thread, THANK YOU

I see Bernardeli's at the gun shows around Sandusky here. I was highly surprised at the higher price of the PSA. I have a Seecamp .32 that was re-worked by ASP back in the early 90's to be smaller than a NAA Guardian, mostly by taking off meat here and there and added the typical ASP grips with the clear line. That is not a typical production firearm though.

That little Kolibri was exactly what I was thinking of and looking for, was shocked at the prices, lowest so far I found one at is $9,200 and the higest cost one is at $33,000.

I have NO idea why I would want it except for just being in the COOL factor catagory. That kind of cost though I sure can add many COOL pieces to my collection, rather than just one.

Thanks to all that posted here

Gringo
Old August 27, 2009, 03:21 PM   #18
w_houle

My Tanfoglio GT-27 in .25 ACP is the smallest I have.
Old August 27, 2009, 05:31 PM   #19
Bill DeShivs

Darkgael
Yours is the VP. It and the Walther 9 are thinner than the Brownings, but just a little longer. They are fine little guns.
Old August 28, 2009, 03:05 AM   #20
GringoGrande

On the bottom of the magazine for the Kolibri, there is a little knob, was that a lanyard button, magazine pull or what was it used for ?

Man I wish I had a CMM blueprint or an 1:1 xray of that Kolibri, I could/would cut one out this winter as a project. I have a small swiss mill and lathe I use for hobby train use for parts. This would be a perfect project.

Does anyone know what the original prices on the Kolibri were like 75 or so years ago?

Is the Kolibri ammuntion centerfire or an auto rim fire, none of the pictures show the case head from the back ?

Man the prices of what used to be common/junk guns the little .22/.25 semi auto's at the gun shows for like $60 have all went to $400 and $500
Old August 28, 2009, 03:15 AM   #21
Bill DeShivs

Magazine pull.
The cartridges were centerfire.
Old August 28, 2009, 04:02 AM   #22
Conceal Carry

I'm not sure if they fall under firearm category, but small they definetly are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_TeYqvp … eature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUcrWGJy … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mIK7Cuj … re=related
Old August 28, 2009, 03:22 PM   #23
alistaire

Quote:
The smallest I'm aware of is the Precision Small Arms, (PSA), Baby Browning currently in production. Smaller than the Seecamp and TPH, it is a truely tiny handgun.
See them here;
http://www.precisionsmallarms.com/
I believe the baby Browning and the Colt Vest Pocket version are the same size as a Seecamp.
Old August 28, 2009, 06:34 PM   #24
j-framer

Gringo,

PM me your email address and I'll send you a scan of a page from a period catalog that lists the price for the Kolibri (and the prices of the ammunition and deluxe case as well). I ask for email because I don't know how to upload pics on this board, but have emailed attachments many times.
Old August 28, 2009, 07:30 PM   #25
PSP

Quote:
I believe the baby Browning and the Colt Vest Pocket version are the same size as a Seecamp.
They're about the same length and width, but the PSA is about 1/3" less in height... thus smaller, and a bit lighter too. They're both as small as anyone needs for easy concealment, to be sure.