The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 23, 2009, 09:20 PM   #1
MLeake

Feed issues with BAR 7mm MAG

Bought a used BAR from an acquaintance. Tested it today. Didn't have a suitable area for an actual sight-in, too sloped, but had a safe area to shoot so we fired a few.

Magnum magazine holds 3 rounds. Consistently, 1st round would fire, 2nd round would fail to feed, moving only partly from the magazine up the ramp. Attempts to cycle bolt were unsuccessful; had to pull bolt slightly aft and drop magazine, then had to push 2nd round back into magazine. Once that was done, and magzine reloaded, 2nd would fire and 3rd would feed.

So, this only seems to be an issue between rounds 1 and 2.

I figure I'll buy another magazine, and see if that fixes the problem, but what else could be causing this? And if it is the magazine, why does it feed the bottom round successfully, but not the middle, during semi-auto cycle?
Old August 24, 2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Horseman

The magazines are a littel tricky to click into the floorplate. What you're describing sounds like possibly the magazine wasn't in all the way and the bolt was dragging on the back top of the magazine. Possible?
Old August 24, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Slopemeno

I'dprobably clean the gas system really well. I had a few come through the shop with the same issue. Nothing like firing a .300 WM indoors into the test-fire tube.