The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 21, 2009, 12:04 PM   #1
boy412

open sights on a Savage 10 FCP?

I'm in a situation where I'm not able to put a scope on this rifle at the moment. It does not come with sights of any kind but is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Is there a reasonably good & inexpensive solution for putting open sights on this gun, until I can put a scope on it?

I was thinking maybe doing just the scope mounts and perhaps finding a sight that would mount on that (Picatinny style). The plan was to put a SWFA SS scope on it, but can't at the moment. I have the rifle and want to start shooting it...but can't without SOME kind of sight on it!

Thanks...
Old August 21, 2009, 12:06 PM   #2
goodspeed(TPF)

Put a $30.00 red dot from Wally World on the scope base until you can procure your perfect scope. -Goodspeed

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old August 21, 2009, 12:37 PM   #3
boy412

Ha Ha...isn't Wally World where the Griswalds went in National Lampoons Vacation?

I'll look into a cheap red-dot...but my assumption was correct that I probably needed a scope base first?
Old August 21, 2009, 12:51 PM   #4
goodspeed(TPF)

Yup, you're gonna need a scope base for sure. Ahh, National Lampoon. What memories.

Old August 21, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5
snipecatcher

Cheaper and easier to put a cheap $50-60 Bushnell scope on it than it would be to add iron sights. You would be out of about $100 total, then you could use the same mounts for your SWFA scope in the future. Iron sights would require a gunsmith.
Old August 22, 2009, 01:47 PM   #6
boy412

Good point.

I think I'll at least order the scope mounts for this rifle and go from there. Whether its a cheap red-dot BSA, or something else, its better than nothing...and it will give me a better appreciation for a good scope when I get one!

Another thing i dont understand is how Leupold's picatinny scope mounts for my gun are 5x the cost of a nearly identical set offered by Burris. I'm not ripping on Leupold...they make nice products and have awesome customer support. I just don't see how they can charge so much for a simple piece of metal. No glass in there or nuthin'!

Old August 22, 2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Wait, I'm Reloadin'

I have thought about this also and don't have iron sights on my model 70. I am thinking at close range, just tilt the gun to the left and shoot it shotgun style, it can't be that inacurate to shoot it that way at under a hundred yards. Also thought about a barrel clamp that is made for lasers, but adding a holographic sight. But I figure it won't be any better than no sights at close range considering the cost and the scratch on my barrel.

corey
Old August 22, 2009, 07:31 PM   #8
danweasel

Hahahahaha!
Old August 22, 2009, 07:56 PM   #9
goodspeed(TPF)

Hahahahahahah!!!

Quote:
just tilt the gun to the left and shoot it shotgun style, it can't be that inacurate to shoot it that way at under a hundred yards.
Hahahahahahahahaah!!!!

Last edited by goodspeed(TPF); August 23, 2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old August 22, 2009, 08:56 PM   #10
TPAW

I second a cheap red dot.
Old August 23, 2009, 09:58 AM   #11
boy412

Burris mounts and a BSA red-dot ordered...hopefully it will get here in time for some range time next weekend!

No shotgun style shooting for me...otherwise I would have bought a shotgun! I must admit the thought had occured to me...just to get some rounds through it to break in the barrell.
Old August 23, 2009, 10:41 AM   #12
jmr40

For about the same price as a base and a cheap red dot you can have a smith mount iron sights. The iron sights will be more accurate than the cheap red dot and will still be on the rifle when you get a better scope later. You can alwayse use them as backup later. Before I would buy a cheap red dot, I would look for a quality used scope for under $100.
Old August 23, 2009, 05:44 PM   #13
Wait, I'm Reloadin'

Hey boy you asked for a cheap solution and i gave ya one. I'm a redneck
Old August 23, 2009, 10:39 PM   #14
boy412

Indeed you did.

Seriously...the thought had crossed my mind. For $50 we'll see what the little red-dot scope works out. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!