The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 23, 2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Outlaw5

Rebarreling an action?

For all knowledgeable......If I wanted to take a Remington 700 Long action in 30.06 could I rebarrel it with a .308 barrel and have a no worries Long action Remington 700 in .308????

I'm looking to have a rifle built but since most new 700 Remingtons have actions in short they won't fit my needs.

This rifle will be built on a synthetic stock....not sure that makes a difference but....

Thanks for your replies. V/R Outlaw5
Old August 23, 2009, 11:11 AM   #2
kraigwy

I built an "across the course" gun in 308 on a Rem 700 long action, it works pretty good. You just need to put a block in the mag well, but that didnt take much. (The stripper clip guide was harder to find and fit, I wanted on that would also work with Weaver Rings so I could use a scope as well as iron sights.

The Army's Rem Sniper rilfes in 308 are based on the long action, they seem to work.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 23, 2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Blackops_2

you should be fine. The m24 is a long action .308 and it's fine. On top of that you get extra long seating depth if your needing or wanting to seat your bullets high. Then if you ever wanna switch to long action. Rebarrel it again.
Old August 24, 2009, 06:04 AM   #4
V.Hunter

The 308 is a short action cartridge so why do you think that a short action Remington 700 wouldnt work?

Sure a long action will work with a mag well block but a short action is a better fit. Also the last time I checked Remington was still chambering just as many rifles in long action as they ever have. No shortage of either short or long action 700's out there.
Old August 24, 2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I used a CZ Long action for my 6.5 X 284 so I can seat the bullets out longer & they will fit in the magazine...

...just make sure your headspace is correct